Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple sets US Secret Service on spy camera artist  (Read 10122 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Apple sets US Secret Service on spy camera artist
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:29 pm »

Is it art, I'm a bit indifferent but others may have strong opinions one way or another.

Full story at Mashable.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Apple sets US Secret Service on spy camera artist
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:22:42 am »

Wonder if whoever thought up this story has any idea what the mission of the U.S. Secret Service is?

From the Secret Service's web: "The mission of the United States Secret Service is to safeguard the nation's financial infrastructure and payment systems to preserve the integrity of the economy, and to protect national leaders, visiting heads of state and government, designated sites and National Special Security Events."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:20 am »

Wonder if whoever thought up this story has any idea what the mission of the U.S. Secret Service is?

From the Secret Service's web: "The mission of the United States Secret Service is to safeguard the nation's financial infrastructure and payment systems to preserve the integrity of the economy, and to protect national leaders, visiting heads of state and government, designated sites and National Special Security Events."

Which makes me wonder why they'd bother with this guy's stunt. If Apple wasn't happy with what he was doing, toss him out of their stores, end of story, I'd have thought. I bet he's hoping the whole thing goes viral, would get him more attention that he'd ever hoped for.

I kind of like the basic idea of capturing people's faces when they interact with computers, though.
--
Robert

RSL

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:17:53 am »

Which makes me wonder why they'd bother with this guy's stunt. If Apple wasn't happy with what he was doing, toss him out of their stores, end of story, I'd have thought. I bet he's hoping the whole thing goes viral, would get him more attention that he'd ever hoped for.

I kind of like the basic idea of capturing people's faces when they interact with computers, though.

Right, Robert. Kind of like Walker Evans's subway pictures, which a whole train of people have copied.

But what I don't understand is what the Secret Service's mission has to do with this. Was the President planning to visit the store? I have a feeling the Mashable people don't know what the Secret Service is and have the wrong agency. That'd be pretty typical of the lack of research that accompanies an awful lot of "scoops" on the web.

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:20:59 pm »

It's because of the latest FCP X Apple release  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:38:35 pm »

Simply another form of sedentary 'street' where the snapper is absolutely invisible.

Since he is invisible, he obviously isn't infringing anyone's privacy; two monkeys left.

Rob C

Eyauuk

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:00:38 pm »

Hmm, the store most likely also takes pictures of people with their security cameras without asking for individual permission.
This may bring up an interesting rights issue regardless of the Use of the pictures.

RSL

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

Something's seriously wrong with the whole Mashable article. Either they blew it badly or there's a lot of info that wasn't included.

tom b

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:08:34 am »

Was it the Secret Service/Feds?

Artist Kyle McDonald's site.

Artist Kyle McDonald's twitter.

Eyeteeth: A journal of incisive ideas

The law it may have broken, may as well have been written in Russian to me.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:34:38 am »

Was it the Secret Service/Feds?

Artist Kyle McDonald's site.

Artist Kyle McDonald's twitter.

Eyeteeth: A journal of incisive ideas

The law it may have broken, may as well have been written in Russian to me.

Cheers,

Had you noticed that Russian language courses are becoming rather more popular of late? Now I know the reason why - thanks for illuminating!

Rob C

tom b

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:40:03 pm »

An update.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:08:42 pm »

So bloody childish: do something you know is morally wrong and then run to Mama when the spaghetti etc. Like that asshole at 'Leaks' I hope they nail him.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up