Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a cheaper alternative to a Gitzo 3541?  (Read 14592 times)

nma

Re: What's a cheaper alternative to a Gitzo 3541?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 12:45:50 pm »

Thanks guys.

Ive definately come to the conclusion I need a tripod that is XL, so 70" or better since im 6'2. I hate bending over a ton just to take a pic and it's a lower back killer if you are panning or shooting animals etc.

So im trying to be under 4lb, over 6 foot, no column.

Hello,
I wrote to you earlier in the thread, suggesting you consider the Feisol 3442 CF tripod. I am 6' 1" tall and I can use it in comfort without the center column. The max height without the center column is 54 in, add to that the height of the ball head and the camera body to get the working height. Keep in mind that your eyes are NOT on top of your head!  Using the center column makes the maximum height 67 in., but the stability is much less with it fully extended. I am not sure that you will find a tripod with your specs of "under 4lb, over 6 foot, no column." If you do, I doubt it will be affordable or practical for hiking or travel. The 3442 weighs only 2.3 lb, it is one to consider.

SBP

Re: What's a cheaper alternative to a Gitzo 3541?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »

Hello,
I wrote to you earlier in the thread, suggesting you consider the Feisol 3442 CF tripod. I am 6' 1" tall and I can use it in comfort without the center column. The max height without the center column is 54 in, add to that the height of the ball head and the camera body to get the working height. Keep in mind that your eyes are NOT on top of your head!  Using the center column makes the maximum height 67 in., but the stability is much less with it fully extended. I am not sure that you will find a tripod with your specs of "under 4lb, over 6 foot, no column." If you do, I doubt it will be affordable or practical for hiking or travel. The 3442 weighs only 2.3 lb, it is one to consider.

The only issue I have seen on the Feisol is that you can't carry it by a single leg because it will open. I saw this in a Youtube review.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up