Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7800 nozzle check and question about black ink swap..  (Read 5642 times)

nsr500rossi

Hi

I bought my printer with a mixture of Lyson and epson cartridges installed, i have just removed all the Lyson cartridges and replaced them with epson, i also swapped the Matt cartridge for photo black and have installed the matt cartridge where the Light light black should be, yes i am running Imageprint 8 with Phatte black.

I have two questions, the first is, because i have run the epson black ink swap procedure, will it of got rid of all the lyson ink in the tubes.

Second question, i have run a nozzle check from the control panel, it shows all is fine, except, the light magenta has one of the squares slightly out of line, only one, but it is 2mm above where it should be, also slightly lighter in colour.

How do i correct this, is it a head cleaning job, bearing in mind i have just gone through the black ink swap.

To add, the normal nozzle check, from the computer, shows the very last segment of the light magenta bar slightly higher than i should be.

Just want to be sure, before i waste even more ink with a cleaning cycle. I have also run a head alignment test

Thanks in advance

Mike

nsr500rossi

Re: Epson 7800 nozzle check and question about black ink swap..
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:59 am »

Just ran a cleaning cycle and it seems to have sorted the problem..

Just need to know if the matt to photo black cartridge change has cleaned through all the lyson ink

Mike

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:35 pm »

Hi

I bought my printer with a mixture of Lyson and epson cartridges installed, i have just removed all the Lyson cartridges and replaced them with epson, i also swapped the Matt cartridge for photo black and have installed the matt cartridge where the Light light black should be, yes i am running Imageprint 8 with Phatte black.

I have two questions, the first is, because i have run the epson black ink swap procedure, will it of got rid of all the lyson ink in the tubes.

Second question, i have run a nozzle check from the control panel, it shows all is fine, except, the light magenta has one of the squares slightly out of line, only one, but it is 2mm above where it should be, also slightly lighter in colour.

How do i correct this, is it a head cleaning job, bearing in mind i have just gone through the black ink swap.

To add, the normal nozzle check, from the computer, shows the very last segment of the light magenta bar slightly higher than i should be.

Just want to be sure, before i waste even more ink with a cleaning cycle. I have also run a head alignment test

Thanks in advance

Mike
The misaligned nozzle segment is caused by a "deflection", usually the result of excess ink building up on the head.  These often clear themselves up with a cleaning, or with some use.  Sometimes it requires a careful cleaning of the head itself, but sounds like yours is fine, and doubtful you would detect the issue in anything your printed.

As far as the ink swap, doing a black ink swap will not clear out the lyson ink, as the ink swap is designed only to clean out the ink in head itself, not in the supply tubes. To clear out the tubes you would need to either do several head channel cleans, several ink swaps, or print out a large document of pure black that uses the ink up in the tube. A power clean or two would probably do it as well. I'm not sure how much ink would be required to insure the lyson inks are gone.

nsr500rossi

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:08:55 pm »

Thanks wayne

I am a little confused (nothing new) with this line   'As far as the ink swap, doing a black ink swap will not clear out the lyson ink, as the ink swap is designed only to clean out the ink in head itself, not in the supply tubes. '

If the ink is just being cleared from the head itself and not the supply lines then surely the old matt ink will travel from the supply line back into the head!

Funny thing is, i ran nozzle check from the printer before i changed the ink and again after, where i changed from light light black to matt (phatte black) i can see the difference on the nozzle check print, does that not also mean that all the lyson ink has been pushed through.

I have done a test print and all the colours look identical as before after i changed to all epson ink, i was expecting to see a difference, do you think i will see a difference? my prints with the lyson ink did not quite match the softprrof ..very close but blues and browns very slightly out

Just to add, i am running a nec 2690 spectraview calibrated with a gretag eyeone pro, so the screen should be spot on

Thanks for your help

Mike

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »

I believe that on the ink swap a 7800 does clean the lines out, all 4 lines on the side where the photo/matte cart is installed.   You pull the other 3 carts out on the black side and use the replacement carts that epson gives you with the printer.  You would have to clean out he line since on the 7800 family matte and photo black share that line unlike the newer epsons that have the separate lines for both blacks.  This would also hold true for the 9880 family of printers.  A ink swap on a 7800/9880 is like watching someone pour money down the drain.  It is basically a powerclean cycle. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Sven W

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »

I would really recommend you to read the ImagePrint manual, Appendix F about the Phatte Black system.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

nsr500rossi

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »

I think i have ..maybe i did not take it in ..are you talking about printing x amount of prints to clear the ink?

Mike

nsr500rossi

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »

Ok  ..just read it, but this will just purge the light light black cartridge ..i need to purge all the cartridges ... what is the best way to go about this ..with minimal ink wastage

Mike

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

Power cleaning...and several to many.

When Epson inks are first charged they use 30-40% of the ink cart to charge the lines. When you switch inks, that's about what you'll prolly need to run through the lines to completely clear the lines of any other inks.

nsr500rossi

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »

Ok ..argghhh, 40%!!!

Guess this is what i should do

can anyone explain why the change from light light black to matt black (for phatte black), with only a matt black to photo black change (in the normal way) has resulted in visible nozzle change colour/black tone

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 05:59:47 pm »

Ok ..argghhh, 40%!!!

Guess this is what i should do

I would print some sample prints in between the power cleanings, it may give you a visual indicator of when the old ink is gone and the new ink is fully in the line. But the bottom line is there's a lot of ink in those lines and the only way to get it out is by using the ink in the line up by cleaning or by printing.

nsr500rossi

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:48 pm »

Ok, so i have been comparing nozzle checks ..after running a power clean ..just the one, plus a matt to photo black change

Pre ink change ..base line

After black swap and changing LLB for Matt Blk (phatte)  cyan and light magenta look darker, funny, because i did not even have a lyson light magenta cartridge, it was an epson ..so no change!!

Light light black changed to Matt, obvious difference

So the cartridges that were swapped from lyson to epson were, cyan, magenta, light black and light cyan

As i said before ..only change seems to be cyan and light magenta

Do you think i have cleared the tubes..so to speak

M

nsr500rossi

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:54 pm »

I believe that on the ink swap a 7800 does clean the lines out, all 4 lines on the side where the photo/matte cart is installed.   You pull the other 3 carts out on the black side and use the replacement carts that epson gives you with the printer.  You would have to clean out he line since on the 7800 family matte and photo black share that line unlike the newer epsons that have the separate lines for both blacks.  This would also hold true for the 9880 family of printers.  A ink swap on a 7800/9880 is like watching someone pour money down the drain.  It is basically a powerclean cycle. 

Paul Caldwell

Hi Paul

I seemed to have missed your reply

I think you are right, after going through the black swap ..lifting leavers .etc etc etc i performed a power clean ..it was basically the same

So i guess i have now performed two power cleans

Don't want to do any more ..natch

Mike

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:26:13 pm »

Power cleaning...and several to many.

Yup.  I just did this with my new-to-me 9800. 

I needed to purge the LLK line because the previous owner was using the Phatte Black system and the LLK cart slot had contained a MK ink cart.  The line to the head is over a meter long on the 9800. In fact, the problematic cart slot is the farthest one from the head.

I printed black gradient prints on plain paper, hoping to clear just the black inks, but after 50 prints, I was still seeing issues with colour output so I gave up.  It took two power cleanings to clear the lines. That is a LOT of ink. ::)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 02:44:47 am »

I believe that on the ink swap a 7800 does clean the lines out, all 4 lines on the side where the photo/matte cart is installed. 

I apologize ... and stand corrected.  I misread the original post as a 7900.  Then to make matters worse, I didn't pick up on the phatte black inks which should have clued me in as to an older printer model.

You are right, an ink swap on the 7800 clears the entire line to the cartridge.

Schewe

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 01:02:33 pm »

You are right, an ink swap on the 7800 clears the entire line to the cartridge.

But as I recall the 7800 had the recovery tanks on the one side to scavenge the other ink colors that then got put back into the ink line. But this was, I recall, only on the one side of inks...

nsr500rossi

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 04:58:15 pm »

Follow up

Picked up some sample packs of Hanamuhle paper and have done some tests

My colours are spot on and match my monitor exactly, Imageprint is working brilliantly...

So the black ink change and the power clean seems to have cleared all the lyson ink out

Thanks to everyone who gave advice

Now time to test papers, there are so many out there ..i am looking to reproduce art work (paintings) need a nice paper that is not top end expensive and available in the uk, also need a decent canvas that can take the colours ..any suggestions..

Mike

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 10:49:06 am »

Yes, with the 7800 and 9880 you put in 3 empty carts, (I had called them replacement carts in my previous post).  These carts come with the  matte to photo replacement kit that ships with the printer.  I didn't realize that it scavenged the ink back from these carts.  As many swaps as I have done, I never really checks the 3 carts to see if ink was in them or not.  If the ink is being pulled back, then my statement on the black swap costing as much as a power cleaning is incorrect since you are only pushing out the installed black ink in the line to the maintenance tank.  That is good to know.  The power cleaning as stated earlier does push ink through all the lines to the M/A tank.

Thanks Jeff for the info.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up