Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhino  (Read 3728 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Rhino
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:35:23 am »

I've been rather quiet lately- had to relocate due to work and free time has been in short supply. This was taken last year sometime, when I still had time to spend in the bush. Your thoughts on the photo please?

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: Rhino
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:06 am »

Hi Riaan

To me, the chap in front is the main character in the picture, but there is not enough of him. Does that make sense?

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:01 am »

Thom Hogan had an article on his site a few months ago where he explained that you don't have to show all of the animal - or anything else for that matter - when you take an image. Your imagination kicks in with respect to what is in the frame and what isn't shown. I think this works. :)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:01:32 am »

Thom Hogan had an article on his site a few months ago where he explained that you don't have to show all of the animal - or anything else for that matter - when you take an image. Your imagination kicks in with respect to what is in the frame and what isn't shown. I think this works. :)

I didn't mean the whole animal...perhaps just the fore-quarters. i.e. turning slightly to the right?
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:09:25 am »

I didn't mean the whole animal...perhaps just the fore-quarters. i.e. turning slightly to the right?

What ever turns you on. ;) 8)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:13:33 am »

I think that had you persuaded the rhino at the back to turn around, so you had all three heads in shot, it would have worked. Two just doesn't cut it  ;)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:10 am »

Thanks for looking guys. I tried something different, looks like it doesn't work so well. 

stamper

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:28:12 am »

You are wrong to assume that. If you like it then it is fine. There wasn't enough feedback from enough members for it to be deemed a failure.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 06:52:47 am »

Funny old world, this 'critique' one, I think the picture is perfectly good as it is. You simply have to take it for what it is: a form of almost abstract design/pattern, with the main feature, actually, being the shapes created by the horns and the trees.

I'm afraid I'm turning into a leftish Scot Nat here... can't disagree with Stamp at all!

Nice shot that, for me, works perfectly well, Riaan.

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:13:47 am »

Riaan...what a location...opportunity to record some quiet beautiful power at ease...that said if you run a diagonal from upper right, down to lower left and really study what you have there in the left your dof , for me anyway, creates too much that takes away in that it is not in or out of focus, just there and distracting. The wood in the upper center too being so bright drags me around to all the wrong places...

I still think you could , using the same framing and file work in layers and masks to tone down, darken and blur those areas, working to keep as much of those three bodies intact as possible...

I would have loved to move along the ground a bit , to the left maybe to seek a burl or element in the wood that would have helped with a comfortable frame.

It is what I like about Michaels image today...I'm happy in the foreground, not uncomfortable and then liberated to the sky and ...oh wow , wait a minute! look at at the equipment trail moving in the field/cropland giving a lovely corrugation to explore some more...

After all that I like yours well enough and think you could yet enjoy developing it...Pat
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:25:41 am by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:39 pm »

..with the main feature, actually, being the shapes created by the horns and the trees...
Rob C

You get it then Rob. The something different I mentioned is probably due to me having spent quite some time in the veld with these animals, which I guess makes one "see" in a different manner. Apart from a "charging rhino" photo ( I had to run and find a tree and didn't have a camera with me at the time) I have ( had) photos of these chaps posing in all manners. None of those photos "talk" to me like this does though. 

Patricia, I could write volumes about the place where these rhino live. I have been fortunate to a share in the sublime intimacy of nature. 

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:47 am »

You get it then Rob. The something different I mentioned is probably due to me having spent quite some time in the veld with these animals, which I guess makes one "see" in a different manner. Apart from a "charging rhino" photo ( I had to run and find a tree and didn't have a camera with me at the time) I have ( had) photos of these chaps posing in all manners. None of those photos "talk" to me like this does though. 

Patricia, I could write volumes about the place where these rhino live. I have been fortunate to a share in the sublime intimacy of nature. 

That's what's difficult about 'sharing' images. It's almost impossible for the shooter's idea at the time of the exposure to be understood totally by any audience. I have my doubts that even he, the photographer, can say with 100% conviction that his print ends up reproducing his intial emotion - ever.

At best, I think we make something that gives visual clues to the emotion of the moment, and either the viewer accepts or he does not.

In 'About This Site' there's a thread on the current landcape pic on the cover of LuLa; some think it amazing whilst I see next to nothing. Why? I'm not exactly new to this game and neither is Michael; much of his work seems, to me, under-appreciated by the traffic whilst some things, such as the current image, get folks waxing poetic. I wonder wherein lies the reason for the difference in appreciation?

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 07:31:38 am »

In 'About This Site' there's a thread on the current landcape pic on the cover of LuLa; some think it amazing whilst I see next to nothing. Why? I'm not exactly new to this game and neither is Michael; much of his work seems, to me, under-appreciated by the traffic whilst some things, such as the current image, get folks waxing poetic. I wonder wherein lies the reason for the difference in appreciation?

Rob C

Wyeth was wildly vilified in the "Art" World of the time for his painting "Christina's World"  (1948) Take a look at where that has gone...what a boring place this world would be had we all been cursed with but one cloned conceptual vision...I tend to love even the things I hate because they swing me around yanking , or coaxing, me out of my existing state....sometimes while beating the air an unique spirit is released....I say sell the car Rob, get that tilt shift you've been yearning for and play...with the layers of experience and joys your life has held you might find something releasing from within...(kick me now as I already detect you reacting to my insolence...)
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:37 am »

Wyeth was wildly vilified in the "Art" World of the time for his painting "Christina's World"  (1948) Take a look at where that has gone...what a boring place this world would be had we all been cursed with but one cloned conceptual vision...I tend to love even the things I hate because they swing me around yanking , or coaxing, me out of my existing state....sometimes while beating the air an unique spirit is released....I say sell the car Rob, get that tilt shift you've been yearning for and play...with the layers of experience and joys your life has held you might find something releasing from within...(kick me now as I already detect you reacting to my insolence...)

Kick you? Patricia, I'm, a self-styled gentleman or, at the very least and most accurately, of the olde worlde school! I actually like to hold doors open for ladies who lunch. (Does a job in a Manhattan department store sound reasonable?)

To be realistic about it, I have had thoughts on and off about both the old car and the lens. The problem is this: I can't really accept the idea of spending hours, days at a computer without some sort of payoff at the end, and self-satisfaction just doesn't do it anymore. You have to remember that my career, at least once it took off, was really all about exactly that: getting the buzz from the work. It was even more important a consideration than the money, but that's probably because it was all on client budgets; now, the world has changed and not a lot is awash with cash - least of all myself! Well, the cost is a good practical weapon I can use when I find myself going out on fancy-driven mental projects such as shooting picture stories of French canals, doing other shoots on surviving, original island architecture before it vanishes under even more concrete (or decaying concrete, these days); it all sounds very nice and positive, but it also runs away with what might remain of my mobile life, and the reward is nebulous, to say the least.

Whether to vacillate between ideas is any better a pastime is not clear...

;- (

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:59 am »

Rob C
[/quote]

I think that sometimes people give more appreciation to Michael's work because he is the owner of the site? I am not saying that he doesn't deserve it. If his images were posted among others without his name attached how would they fare? Very well but possibly different because of anonymity. Quite often when he posts something there is an immediate thread started with comments such as ...well done etc etc that another poster wouldn't have attracted as as much attention. Fan boy stuff? I am sure he is aware of this and he has decided that it is part and parcel of being in the spotlight. :)

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »

Rob C

I think that sometimes people give more appreciation to Michael's work because he is the owner of the site? I am not saying that he doesn't deserve it. If his images were posted among others without his name attached how would they fare? Very well but possibly different because of anonymity. Quite often when he posts something there is an immediate thread started with comments such as ...well done etc etc that another poster wouldn't have attracted as as much attention. Fan boy stuff? I am sure he is aware of this and he has decided that it is part and parcel of being in the spotlight. :)

I can't see this being valid: all the cover shots are his -as far as I seem to remember - so that still means that some have something that excites more people than do others. It's just that for me, I seem to hold a quite different idea of what's comment-worthy. And I don't know what that factor might be. It isn't a measure nor question of how well or how poorly his work might stack up when compared with any other shooter.

In the case of the particular image that's the subject of this post, I failed to see the reason for the excitement. And I wondered why.

Rob C

Heinz

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 03:54:59 pm »

Hey Riaan,

You know what I like most about the Pic.....the Light on the first Rhino's horn. That makes the image, well for me any way.

Cheers
Heinz
Pages: [1]   Go Up