Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Golden Archival Varnish. Got a problem.  (Read 6828 times)

SG

Golden Archival Varnish. Got a problem.
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »

So, I have a few canvas prints that must be coated.
I bought a Golden Archival Varnish (matte). I've already tried several ways to apply it but each time it leaves some white marks on the test print.
It looks weird, some areas are ok, some have that weird white stuff, like a dried foam.

Anyone had issues like that?

Robcat

Re: Golden Archival Varnish. Got a problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:14:32 pm »

I wonder if you're not dissolving off some of your print. Not all varnishes work well with inkjet pigments and the substrate seems to have some effect too. The Golden varnishes are optimized for acrylic paints. I've had the MSA Varnish (the mineral spirit one) dissolve ink on certain media. The Polymer varnish is a water-based one, which I haven't tried. I presume you're not using the Hard MSA varnish, as that is designed for rigid surfaces and would not be a good choice for a stretched canvas. Those are the only 3 varnishes they make now, to my knowledge. I've had good success with spraying BC Timeless and rolling their Glamour II. Might try those. Or spend more time with some junk test prints.
Rob P

a.lorge

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »

If you are going to use a matte varnish, you need an "isolation coat"

From Golden website:

"The isolating layer is of critical importance when applying a matte varnish over an absorbent surface to prevent a cloudy or 'frosted' appearance from occurring. This frosted appearance results from the varnish and solvent being absorbed into the support, while the matting agent remains exposed on the surface. While we have carefully selected the matting agent that is in Golden varnishes to be as transparent as possible, it is still a dry particulate material. When the matting agent is deposited onto the surface, and is not a part of a continuous varnish layer, it appears as a white solid. If varnishing water-soluble paints, including watercolor, gouache and tempera, the isolation coat must be sprayed on in very light layers to avoid solubilizing the paints, which could cause loss of distinctness of the underlying image."

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:49:14 am »

I trust this is the acrylic product? The acrylics sometimes need to be diluted with water to dry clear. , Read the directions and try that!

SG

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »

Thanks guys. Will probably try BC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up