Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The old tree in the forest  (Read 1408 times)

Andres Bonilla

The old tree in the forest
« on: July 05, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »

I liked the contrast beetween the fallen tree and the forest in the background. Does it need more contrast between the two ?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: The old tree in the forest
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:50:01 am »

A bit over worked for me and the sky is pretty much blown out, but I like the upturned trunk and the fact you have it along the third, so compositionally it works just fine.

Personally, I would have worked this scene for quite some time I think, as I find after a while you start to get into the image and begin to get better results. I would have then probably moved towards getting some kind of frame filling abstract from the bottom of the upturned tree.

Photobloke

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »

Andres, I think your métier is people, not trees.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »

I'm with Pop on that one.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »

A bit over worked for me and the sky is pretty much blown out, but I like the upturned trunk and the fact you have it along the third, so compositionally it works just fine.

Personally, I would have worked this scene for quite some time I think, as I find after a while you start to get into the image and begin to get better results. I would have then probably moved towards getting some kind of frame filling abstract from the bottom of the upturned tree.

Photobloke
Thanks for the comment! When you said "filling abstract" you mean just a photo of the big tree without the background? I got a few close ups from the front, just the texture of it. It was a cloudy day so other than avoiding the sky what else could I done with exposure? I don't even think a bracketed set of photos could I helped me...and forget the controversial HDR! This is only one exposure with some shadow and highlight recovery, I am curious as why do you find it over worked. I am using Nik sharpenig and I fade to about 54%, is it still too much?

Thanks for your advice!!

Andres

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:24 pm »

Andres, I think your métier is people, not trees.

ha,ha,ha!! I think so! The only few  public accolades of my photos came from people material. I also find out that in landscape photography my Rebel shows its age. I see this incredible sharp photos in these forums :) All I can do is keep trying, how can I not show some photos of Yosemite :)

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:53 pm »

I'm with Pop on that one.

I know you would! I have some I will publish soon :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:21 am »

I am curious as why do you find it over worked. I am using Nik sharpenig and I fade to about 54%, is it still too much?

Thanks for your advice!!

Andres

Hi Andres,

I think some of the colours (greens mostly) from under the roots of the upturned tree in particular, are a little to electric and seem to draw my eye towards them even though there isn't really anything there to linger upon - yes the whole of the upturned root is very interesting as a whole and well worth the effort, but the way you have brought out the really bright green within it, seems to demand too much attention within the image.

Photobloke
Pages: [1]   Go Up