Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this how Kirk BH-3 ballhead should work?  (Read 4181 times)

NigelC

Is this how Kirk BH-3 ballhead should work?
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:17:12 pm »

Bought a used Kirk BH-3. Having adjusted the tension to what seeems about right, when main locking knob is released about one quarter turn , ball becomes quite floppy, but tightens up when fully released, which takes a whole turn. Is this normal or possible worn/damaged?

Sheldon N

Re: Is this how Kirk BH-3 ballhead should work?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »

Loosen the main knob fully, then set the minimum tension with the smaller tension knob, then leave it. The main knob will then allow you to go from locked down to the minimum tension setting.

Is this how you are setting it?
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:24:05 pm »

Loosen the main knob fully, then set the minimum tension with the smaller tension knob, then leave it. The main knob will then allow you to go from locked down to the minimum tension setting.

Is this how you are setting it?

When I loosen off main knob fully, the position of the tension knob makes no difference, it just flops about. I tried tightening it up and then loosening off again. As it's used (although lost a lot of paint on the knobs and the plate, can't be that old as has spirit level on plate), have no instructions - BTW, should it have 3/8"/1/4" conversion collar in the kit?

Sheldon N

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:02:44 pm »

Sounds like the tension knob is not working properly anymore. You should be able to get some level of tension with the main knob fully released.
Sheldon Nalos

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:22:19 am »

Sounds like the tension knob is not working properly anymore. You should be able to get some level of tension with the main knob fully released.

When I'm checking the operation of the ballhead, can this only be properly verified under load i.e. with the camera lens mounted?

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:01 am »

Playing a bit further, I find when I loosen off the main knob a little so the plate just moves, then I can adjust tension with the small knob. However, if I follow the advice to release the main knob as far as it will go, then the tension control doesn't do anything. The retailer I bought it off says that how it should work.

Sheldon N

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »

Sorry if I misled you then. It's been a while since I owned the BH-3, and I'm used to my Markins head now where the tension setting is for fine tuning the minimum tension setting.
Sheldon Nalos

Mary K

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:07:59 am »

Loosen the main knob and the tension knob all the way.  Tighten the main knob until you have the desired amount of tension.  Tighten the tension knob until it is just snug -- not too tight.  This will allow you use the main knob to lock down and loosen the ball head as needed, while still allowing for the tension you want when the main knob is loosened.  Note that you will have to readjust the tension if you change the load (switch from a small lens to a telephoto lens, for example).  This always worked for me when I had the BH-1 and BH-3 heads.

If that doesn't work for you I recommend giving Kirk a call, as I've always found their customer service to be very good.
Mary Konchar

NigelC

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:22 am »

Loosen the main knob and the tension knob all the way.  Tighten the main knob until you have the desired amount of tension.  Tighten the tension knob until it is just snug -- not too tight.  This will allow you use the main knob to lock down and loosen the ball head as needed, while still allowing for the tension you want when the main knob is loosened.  Note that you will have to readjust the tension if you change the load (switch from a small lens to a telephoto lens, for example).  This always worked for me when I had the BH-1 and BH-3 heads.

If that doesn't work for you I recommend giving Kirk a call, as I've always found their customer service to be very good.

Thanks, tried that but still not convinced tension knob is doing anything at all - still at least it holds things rock solid when tightened which is what was wrong with previous ballhead. Telephoning Kirk would be a bit expensive - I'll see if I can e-mail them.

NigelC

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:18:21 pm »

Kirk replied to my e-mail by return with copy of printed instructions - all is now clear!

Sheldon N

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »

So was it working properly or was it broken?
Sheldon Nalos

NigelC

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:20 am »

So was it working properly or was it broken?

I think its working properly

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:53:11 pm »

It's been a while since I owned the BH-3, and I'm used to my Markins head now...

Me too.  I used a BH-3 for many years and was quite happy with it.  My one gripe was that the tension limiter knob (the small one) was easily bumped out of adjustment.  Basically, I just got used to not using it and having the main knob go from tight-to-floppy in a quarter turn. 

Then I tried a friend's Markins Q10.  The Markins does away with the tension limiter knob (replaced by a screw).  But even better, the main locking knob is designed with a very long range of tensions.  It takes a full turn or more to go from tight to floppy.  This is a subtle but huge improvement over the Kirk.  I normally have the ball tension in some range between loose and tight where the camera won't move on its own, but can be moved with minor force without loosening the ball. 

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:25:16 am »

Are you doing this with a lens and camera combination mounted? if not try that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up