Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 Error 02.1.10 - What is the Carriage Assembly stopper?  (Read 19836 times)

catlauren

Re: z3100 Error 02.1.10 - What is the Carriage Assembly stopper?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 07:05:56 pm »

A couple things...
1) As I mentioned in a previous post, I have had the long time problem similar to William's in that I had random clumps on ink on my prints - only mine was coming primarily from the red/MK printhead.  After a while the ink was no longer appearing randomly but happening consistently on every job rendering my printer useless.  After replacing too many parts, my printer is finally fixed and it was either the trailing cable or the carriage cover that did the trick.  (my guess is probably the trailing cable)

2) When my problems intially started about 6 months ago, I ran all the diagnostic tests and the only one that failed was the color sensor.  So, I replaced the color sensor and that did not fix my problems nor did it make the error message go away when running the tests.  Based on what people are saying here my guess would be that there is a bug in the color sensor's diagnostic tests.

gfsymon

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 10:25:47 am »

William,

I have been following this thread with interest, as I have also just replaced the belt after three years of light use. The printer probably has no more than 150 prints run through it. I received the exact same 58:11 error as several other people have reported. The manual obviously indicates some problem with the ESP (reseat/reconnect/clean/adjust). I was mystified since I found at least four other references online to the exact problem after the belt had been replaced, so I assumed it to be unlikely that that the ESP had failed, unless everybody broke it in the same manner when replacing the carriage assembly.

I tore down the printer a second time, and took out the ESP. Looked brand new, almost no ink overspray at all, even on the mirror cover. I cleaned the cover and surrounding areas and checked the condition of the sensor, it looked normal. I replaced everything and booted up, then received the exact same error message again.

I then called tech support, and was willing to spend $39.95 to get a useful answer. Had to insist on higher level tech support as the first two people just told me to replace the color sensor if I got the 58:11 error code. Makes no sense since 58:10 would indicate replacement necessary.

Finally got "Joe", a senior support person who told me free of charge ' this is a one time exception because this is information that we usually only give to technicians...'  that since I was not a qualified service technician it is very possible that I broke something when replacing the carriage assembly. ( I did in fact break something- the so called rear carriage bushing- a small piece of plastic at the top rear of the carriage assembly, which is easy to do when replacing the carriage assembly since it needs to be slid in very carefully to clear the bar at the top otherwise it will simply snap in two. I superglued it back together until I can get a replacement. I'm pretty sure that this has little to do with the ESP sensor though- but one never knows)

Anyway he then proceeded to tell me that it is possible that the mirror lens did not open and shut properly, and this might be causing the test to fail. I told him the mirror was in fact opening and shutting properly.  He then asked whether I had gotten to the stage in the test where the colored lights were shining onto the paper, and I replied, no only the white light. This indicated to him that the ESP might be damaged- or, and this is the important part- that the belt tension might be too tight, thus causing the carriage assembly to have lifted higher than normal. This might be the cause of the delta E 92 greater than 8 error. I still don't understand the logic exactly other than the fact that the higher the carriage assembly- the further away the lens is from the paper- thus the higher number perhaps? but it seems to indicate that perhaps everyone who replaced the belt as a user without the service technicians' knowledge might be missing a few important adjustments!  My next step is to check the belt tension and loosen it. Right now when I replaced the belt I fully tightened the bolt which attached the belt tensioner to the printer, perhaps loosening this will change the height of the carriage assembly thus letting the sensor see the paper better?

I am simply not quite ready to believe that the ESP, which was working perfectly fine when I took the printer apart, is now broken. I was quite careful when reassembling the carriage assembly (for the most part!) but Joe did mention that the ESP was very delicate and could easily be damaged.

Does anyone else have any information about the proper tension on the belt tensioner, whether it needs to be fully tightened or perhaps only partially? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Andreas

I could have written this exact post ... apart from the call to HP support.

I've just replaced the belt after only 66, square meters of printing in 3 years.  I'm pretty disgusted by HP's build quality.  The belt actually started crumbling after just over 1 year, but I didn't understand what it was until a couple of months ago.  I finally replaced the belt myself (thanks to the online video) and hit up against the 58:10 error in the diagnostic tests.

My take so far, is that this is typical of HP's really crappy quality control.  I found an online post where someone got this error after a firmware upgrade.  That tells me everything.  So, instead of tearing the printer apart again to try and clean the lens, jiggle the cable and re-seat the cable plugs, I decided another tack.  I tried calibrating and profiling a paper.  Guess what?  No errors and a perfect calibration.  Hmmm.   So now I'm wondering if my printer would have failed this test, BEFORE, I took it apart to replace the crappy belt ... my guess is it would indeed have failed.

Regarding the tensioner question.  The whole point of a tensioner, is that it can provide a specific level of tension.  The idea that you don't tighten the bracket completely is just absurd.  Why would anyone design something like that?

Andreas, if you have any more info from your continued tests/repairs I'd love to hear it.

gfsymon

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:26 am »

Just another thought on the 58:10 error.

Perhaps it could be related to expired ink cartridges.  All of my ink cartridges are 'expired' and all but one of my printheads are out of warranty.  I wouldn't be surprised if the ESP diagnosis includes a check on ink status and returns an error if they're out of date.

Whatever ... my prints are coming out perfectly after a successful linearization and calibration.

robmaci

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »

Hi,
   Everything you guys are saying is a carbon copy of my current problems. Belt replacement - 58:11 error.  I'm a big believer in starting from the simplest/cheapest method and working towards the most expensive/time consuming one.  I'm going to simply turn on the printer and try to calibrate and see what happens.  Will let you know...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up