Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging via USB (from Panasonic G3 Review)  (Read 9811 times)

dreed

Charging via USB (from Panasonic G3 Review)
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:35:56 am »

On the topic of rechargers and the predirelction of some manufacturers to use USB as the method for charging. it is worth noting that outside of the USA (and perhaps Canada?) this has meant that my last two mobile (cell) phone purchases have both come with a USB charger, giving me two functional chargers for one active phone. I anticipate that the number of usable chargers will increase as time goes by and I move on to newer phones. This also means that I can plug my phone into my laptop, using a standard USB cable, and charge it in that manner rather than using the power point adapter (advantageous if I'm in a hotel room with a limited number of power outlets, for example.) When traveling, this means that I don't need to carry a special charger for my phone - I just plug it into my laptop using a cable that I could also plug my camera or anything else into the laptop with.

Now if all of my cameras could be charged in the same manner, I would have at most one charging device to carry around and possibly none if I was taking my laptop.

In the event that I happen to lose that praticular cable, getting a replacement cable is much easier (and cheaper!) than getting a replacement battery charger for the latest lithium thing from Canikony. I only hope that more manufacturers find a way to enable camera batteries to be recharged via the USB port!

I don't know if Canada is struck by the same disease as Americans when it comes to telco's and every cell phone using a slightly different or non-USB adapter for power...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:54:31 am by dreed »

JimU

• http://
Re: Charging via USB (from Panasonic G3 Review)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »

Canada's choice of cellphones are pretty much the same selection as the United States.

It would be great to have standardized charging.  Not just charging but a/c powered camera bodies that include battery chargers (think plugging in your cell phone automatically charges the cell phone battery).

it only needs to take a little innovation.  My Colourspace Hyperdrive allows charging via USB even though it came with a standard a/c adapter.  It would be great if everything was like that.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

USB charging is a very welcome step, and it will become a global de facto standard for mobile phones driven by EU pressure: all mobile phones in the EU will use USB-chargers shortly.

I travel on business and pleasure quite a bit, and chargers are a huge PITA; I used to need one for each of my two phones, PSP, iPod and Hyperdrives. Thankfully iGo eased the bulk and hassle a lot. In addition I have to carry the rather large battery wall charger for each of my cameras - fortunately they don't weigh much.

If all devices were USB charging, I'd need only one charger, cutting down on my carry-on bulk considerably. I'm really looking forward to that day, especially when cameras move to USB charging.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:14 pm »

I believe that charging a cellphone from a USB port on a computer is slower than from an AC outlet in the wall.  That being said, my real complaint is that there is no uniformity to the charging adapters.  We were in Europe recently and I had to take a Shuco adapter for the Euro plug, a cellphone, I-Pod, and Kindle charger along.  I chanced going without my Nikon D-300 battery charger as I left with two fully charged batteries for a 2 week holiday.  The Nikon only used 1/2 of a batter charge (I took about 450 images).

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:47:03 pm »

I believe that charging a cellphone from a USB port on a computer is slower than from an AC outlet in the wall.

Sure, but I don't see a reason why USB charging couldn't/shouldn't be an option.

dreed

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:15 pm »

I believe that charging a cellphone from a USB port on a computer is slower than from an AC outlet in the wall.

USB devices are regulated in how much current they can draw. The wall adapter may not supply more power than the same port on a computer. In both instances, the device being charged needs to talk USB with the thing that it is connected to in order to receive an adequate supply of power.

It is thus important to have the right driver for your phone loaded. Some manufacturers are now making available USB drivers for their phones that just enable recharging.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:32:23 pm »

I believe that charging a cellphone from a USB port on a computer is slower than from an AC outlet in the wall.  That being said, my real complaint is that there is no uniformity to the charging adapters.  We were in Europe recently and I had to take a Shuco adapter for the Euro plug, a cellphone, I-Pod, and Kindle charger along.  I chanced going without my Nikon D-300 battery charger as I left with two fully charged batteries for a 2 week holiday.  The Nikon only used 1/2 of a batter charge (I took about 450 images).
Yes and no.  Keep in mind how fast/slow a device charges, depends on the requirements of that device.  For instance, a bluetooth headset's small battery will charge just as fast in a regular USB port as it will with a USB wall charger.  But a device with a larger battery 'can' charge faster if the certain level of power is supplied, and regular USB ports will supply less.

But here's the kicker.  Modern computers, especially business laptops and desktops built with an enthusiast motherboard, will often have 'special' USB ports that supply 3-4x the power as regular USB ports.  I'm 100% "USB chargeable" for my devices (cell phones, GPS, Ipod, Bluetooth headsets, etc, etc) and have been for several years, so these higher powered USB ports is something I look for when shopping for a computer.  

Some computers, such as Lenevo laptops, not only have certain USB ports which supply 3-4x the power, but they can also be set to stay powered when the laptop is off or in sleep mode.  And many of them, such as the Lenovo, Gigabyte/Asus MB's, will automatically recognize Apple/Blackberry/etc devices and provide special functionality unique to those devices.

So.. just don't write off USB ports as low powered generic devices.   Careful selection allows for much more.

And of course there is a host of USB powered hubs which can also supply 3-4x the power and you can use these to charge 4-5 devices at the same time without a computer of any kind.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

dreed

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:05:52 pm »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:07:55 am »

An example of a special USB port for charging devices: Link...   Many laptops and desktop motherboards (modern version) are doing something similar.  If you charge devices via your computer's USB port look for these features.

GIGABYTE Helps You Quick Charge Your iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch    

There's no denying that the Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch have been a huge success and many of you may own one. However, both devices suffer from one small problem, they don't charge very fast when connected to your PC. Wouldn't it be great if your iPhone charged just as quickly from your computer as it does from the charger?

GIGABYTE's latest motherboards are equipped with ON/OFF Charge technology which allows you not only to charge your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, but it allows you to Quick Charge it. As an added bonus, it can even be charged when your PC is turned off, so even if you forget to plug it into your charger after you've synced up your music, it will be fully charged when you need it.

Based on GIGABYTE's unparalleled 3x USB power boost design, plus an entirely new hardware design, GIGABYTE ON/OFF Charge Technology provides a set of white and red colored USB pin headers that can easily be connected to your system's front USB 2.0 ports, that not only act as a normal USB port, but also double as a quick charge ports for your mobile device. It doesn't matter if your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is
plugged into the quick charge USB port while the system is turned on, in sleep/standby mode, or even turned off, as it always enables you to charge your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.        

On/Off Charge will also cut the charging time by up to 40 percent thanks to yet another innovative GIGABYTE design. The reduced charging time means it only takes about two hours to fully charge your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, something that would take in excess of three hours using a standard USB port.

GIGABYTE ON/OFF Charge technology is available on an extensive range of GIGABYTE motherboards. Please consult the official GIGABYTE website model list to confirm that it is available on the motherboard of your choice.

ON/OFF Charge USB Port

*With a simple On/Off Charge driver update, GIGABYTE motherboard users are able to take full advantage of USB charging of their iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, giving them more options and convenience when recharging their new device.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

dreed

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:31:58 am »

Yup, it's the way of the future!

dreed

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:42 am »

Coming soon to a USB 3.0 port near you, 100W power supply:

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/8/10/new-usb-specification-promises-100w-power/

... now that will more than take care of your camera battery recharger needs!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 11:53:03 am »

There is some standardization going on, long overdue. My Motorola Droid phone, my wife's Blackberry, and my Bluetooth headset all use the same charger.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »

In regards to current, real world, USB implementation, most devices are still USB 2. In multiple USB port cards/ hubs/ MOBO setups, the power output is often  shared among the ports. So if you have a device plugged into one port, it gets full power. Plug another in and it gets 1/2 power. Plug another in and it gets less, and so on. If one of the main considerations for a hub or PCI card is charging capabilities, make sure to get one that has full power going to all ports. This also helps to  ensure full compatibility with all devices, some of which require full power.

Hopefully as USB 3 matures it will see full power to all ports implemented as a standard, much like firewire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up