Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portrait lighting critique sought  (Read 1072 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Portrait lighting critique sought
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:09 pm »

Here two recent portraits I shot. I'd appreciate critique on especially the lighting, but any further constructive criticism is very welcome!

Ignore skin tones, I'm not at my computer and these are not the latest edits.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:32:27 pm by feppe »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Portrait lighting critique sought
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:40 pm »

Too close to the background... yellow background seems to impact the skin tone (too yellow?). Pattern background distracting. I do not think the pattern dress helps much either. Lighting decent, soft, but perhaps too flat and shadowless (lacking characther?). Facial expressions... too "sweet" perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:20:39 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »

What Slobodan said... especially the "character" issue.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:39:27 pm »

I agree with Slobodan, mostly. THe lighting on #1 is OK if that's the high-key effect you want - it's something I don't care for.

The second one is, to be honest, horrible. Way too much washed out skin, makes her look anemic or ill.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »

Thanks for all the comments!

Yep, agree on the background - it should have been farther away. I'll see if there's something I can do to the background itself in post to make it less distracting. As said, I know the skin tones are off, but I don't have the latest corrected versions with me. Agreed also on the patterned dress (shirt).

These are practice runs for a specific project, so I'm actually very glad to hear the expressions are "too sweet" although I'm aware that was not meant in the positive ;)

As the project is to be very flat and very high key, is there something I can do in within those constraints which can bring more character? I already have some plans, but would like to hear more ideas. I'm actually going for even more washed out pastel result than the second picture. It'll be full length shots with more clothes visible, so I'm hoping I can avoid an anemic look by having light-colored clothes provide a better anchoring than the black straps.

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:27 am »

Yep, agree on the background - it should have been farther away. I'll see if there's something I can do to the background itself in post to make it less distracting. As said, I know the skin tones are off, but I don't have the latest corrected versions with me. Agreed also on the patterned dress (shirt).

Not just too physically close to the subjects, but also too close tonally. Your subjects need more separation from the background in both senses. Instead, you have them receding into it. It shouldn't be too hard to select the backgrounds in Photoshop and manipulate them.

tq-g

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:47:05 pm »

My two cents on lighting...

Too much omni-directional light is just plain boring, if not washed out.

Start with a strong key light only. Try different sizes and positions until you get something interesting. Perhaps something on the more front-lit side if you want it flat. Control the bounce from the room/background to get as little unwanted reflected light as possible.

Only add fills, bounce cards and whathaveya if you can state atleast five good reasons to do so.

Good lighting almost always looks distinct and simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up