Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to find MR16 desk lamps or task lamps  (Read 10709 times)

ComputerDork

• C1, LR, PS
Trying to find MR16 desk lamps or task lamps
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:30:36 am »

I recently bought a "task lamp" from SoLux along with one of their MR16 bulbs. The bulb is excellent, but the "task lamp" is not.

So I'm trying to find alternatives for task lamps or desk lamps. The problem is that I'm not finding any other MR16 GX5.3 desk/task/work lamps out there.

I found this but I'm not sure if it will work:

http://www.ledlight.com/e27-to-gx5-3_g4_mr11_mr16_adapter_converter.aspx

Any thoughts on the best solution to this?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Trying to find MR16 desk lamps or task lamps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »

I am i the same boat. My SoLux task light transformers "  failed and Solux no longer sells the replacement parts. In fact they apparently are no longer made. A local electronics shop is of the opinion they weren't very good to begin with. They are willing to make new heavier duty actual transformers but they will run around $50.00 per "brick" .

ComputerDork

• C1, LR, PS
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:51:30 pm »

That settles it for me then. I'm going to send this thing back and cobble something together out of MR16 track lighting, which is quite cheap compared to one of these "task lamps". I believe Home Depot and Lowes (US) have some inexpensive track lighting kits.

I'll update the thread later with info on whatever I come up with.

Dave Kocher

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:11:42 pm »

For my SoLux bulb I mounted a track light socket on a microphone stand for my desk.
Make sure you get a socket fixture with an enclosed back.
Works well.
Dave Kocher

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »

Great idea. Thanks Dave!

Dave Kocher

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:34:29 am »

Well, it worked out well, but a little clarification is in order.
The thread on the microphone stand is 5/8 -27, and the only source for a nut that size that I could find was Grainger, and one must have a business or trade connection to buy from Grainger.  As an alternative, I suppose one could tap the inside of the arm to hold the fixture.
To hold the track light fixture, I bought a canopy socket and mounted it on a standard electrical box with a rotary switch installed in the side of the box.  Then the box was mounted on the end of the microphone stand.  The microphone stand came from Muscian's Friend.
Also, be aware that there are several varieties of track lighting sockets, and the fixture and socket must be the same type.
It was a non-trivial project, but like the OP, I couldn't find a suitable desk fixture for this bulb either.
I'd like to hear how others have approached this problem.
Dave Kocher

photoguy205

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »

In building a home solution (E27 to MR16 adapter), remember that the Solux 50 watt 12 volt bulb will draw 4.2 Amps.  Your typical lighting fixture with 100 watt 110 volt will draw only 0.9 Amps.  Sooo, the fixture and wiring may not be up to the job of delivering safely the current the Solux needs.

I bought the Solux gooseneck and am ready to return it if I can find an alternative.  The gooseneck doesn't have the strength to hold the lamp in some positions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up