Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where should I be looking for banding in shadows on 5D2?  (Read 1361 times)

NigelC

Where should I be looking for banding in shadows on 5D2?
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:57:37 am »

Unfortunately I own a camera with one of the worst sensors ever made - the 5D2 (if you believe the DP review forums - yes I know, I've already gone blind!), but I have never seen the pattern/banding in the shadows - -where is it?

Seriously, I've never bothered with this sort of stuff before, I just take photos, but I was curious to find out if there was an issue that I should be aware of so that I know how to work round it. I took a shot at 100ASA that included a decent area of deep shadow that included picture detail (brick wall and foliage) and then manually exposed the same image deliberately underexposing 2, 5, 7 stops etc., something I would normally have no reason to do. Looking at these at 100% in DPP and pulling up the brightness as far as it is possible the only pattern at 2 stops under was the mortar lines in the brickwork and not really any noise; pulling up 5 stops there wasn't much detail left, but no real noise, pattern or otherwise.. Then took the same shot at 3200 with full exposure - shadows show some chroma/luminance noise, as you would expect, seen at 100%, but no specific pattern/banding. All raw BTW. Lens was CZ35/2, but can't see how that would affect result.

So in what circumstances does this phenomena manifest itself, or could it be there in some bodies but not others, i.e. a manufacturing/calibration fault.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Re: Where should I be looking for banding in shadows on 5D2?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:50 am »

I only see it when I try and boost the detail in deep shadows significantly for example with the shadow slider in LR. Yes it is without a doubt  a terrible sensor. ;)
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »

I only see it when I try and boost the detail in deep shadows significantly for example with the shadow slider in LR. Yes it is without a doubt  a terrible sensor. ;)

OK doing roughly same thing in DPP with 5 and 6 stops under-exposed ( +5 shadow fill, +2 brightness overall) have to look quite hard to see v.faint lines. Terrible - I'll put it on ebay right now. This is why Delta 100, Provia and Velvia were technically so superior because if you were incompetent enough to underexpose by 5+ stops, there would be no patterns or banding in the shadows - absolutely nothing - at all.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »

OK doing roughly same thing in DPP with 5 and 6 stops under-exposed ( +5 shadow fill, +2 brightness overall) have to look quite hard to see v.faint lines. Terrible - I'll put it on ebay right now. This is why Delta 100, Provia and Velvia were technically so superior because if you were incompetent enough to underexpose by 5+ stops, there would be no patterns or banding in the shadows - absolutely nothing - at all.

You see what was almost thrown away?

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up