Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture Pilot (C1 iPad App) Adds Camera Control (including Canon/Nikon)  (Read 6194 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Can you control the camera from Capture Pilot, Doug?

[from a historic thread]

It only took 16 months, but we got it! :-) No doubt Hasselblad beat Phase to the punch on camera controls through the iPod/iPhone/iPad.

But in this case the wait was worth it. C1's Capture Pilot App for the iPhone and iPad also provide control of Canon and Nikon dSLRs (in addition to Phase One and Mamiya bodies). O happy day!  ;D

Read more about Capture Pilot Camera Control including our guide to Best Practices to make sure your experience is fast, stable, and easy.

Now all we need is for Phase to add the Profoto Air Remote Control that is built into Capture One. If I could control the camera and the lighting from the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch there are many assisting jobs where I could be away from the computer and helping with other parts of the shooting process and still have, in my pocket, the ability to check focus, bump lighting up or down (even for lights mounted in unreachable or far away places), or change camera settings if I notice the photographer is missing focus too often. I could also have multiple tethered cameras rigged for special situations and switch between them from one device. You can do this currently with other solutions, but having used most of them - they are not nearly as elegant or powerful. Doing it without ever leaving the Capture Workflow will be brilliant.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:20:05 pm by dougpetersonci »

design_freak

Excellent news. Can we change folders?
Best regards,
DF

Doug Peterson

Excellent news. Can we change folders?

From the iOS device? Nope! Doh!

That seems surely to come though. I wouldn't want them to implement it without the ability to disable it.

Currently for instance in Capture One you can simply uncheck the box that allows control of star ratings, and/or color tags. This is great since the tech/photographer can use the colors to denote their selects and the art director can use the ratings to denote their selects and by disabling iPad control of the color tags you can ensure the client can't accidentally change your selects.

Also you can share a "smart album" such as "All Green Tagged Images" so that the client only sees the images you want to pass to the device.

Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed

MrSmith

do you need 6.0 to run this or is 5.2 o.k?

design_freak

do you need 6.0 to run this or is 5.2 o.k?

Best regards,
DF

design_freak

[from a historic thread]

It only took 16 months, but we got it! :-) No doubt Hasselblad beat Phase to the punch on camera controls through the iPod/iPhone/iPad.

But in this case the wait was worth it. C1's Capture Pilot App for the iPhone and iPad also provide control of Canon and Nikon dSLRs (in addition to Phase One and Mamiya bodies). O happy day!  ;D

Read more about Capture Pilot Camera Control including our guide to Best Practices to make sure your experience is fast, stable, and easy.

Now all we need is for Phase to add the Profoto Air Remote Control that is built into Capture One. If I could control the camera and the lighting from the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch there are many assisting jobs where I could be away from the computer and helping with other parts of the shooting process and still have, in my pocket, the ability to check focus, bump lighting up or down (even for lights mounted in unreachable or far away places), or change camera settings if I notice the photographer is missing focus too often. I could also have multiple tethered cameras rigged for special situations and switch between them from one device. You can do this currently with other solutions, but having used most of them - they are not nearly as elegant or powerful. Doing it without ever leaving the Capture Workflow will be brilliant.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Super. But over these folders, you should think. Anyway it was worth the wait of 18 months. It is worth to spend those few dollars.
Hasselblad -  unfortunately supports only star rating system, although it has always been a system of "traffic light" ...
Best regards,
DF

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage

Now if they could only add save to card and computer they might have a usable  (for me at least) piece of tethering software.  Until then, not so much.
Craig Lamson Photo

Doug Peterson

Now if they could only add save to card and computer they might have a usable  (for me at least) piece of tethering software.  Until then, not so much.

This fascinates me. What are you looking for? There are far better ways to backup during a shoot and I can't think of any other reason.

Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Craig Lamson

This fascinates me. What are you looking for? There are far better ways to backup during a shoot and I can't think of any other reason.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Far better than having the files on the card in the camera and the capture laptop at the same time?  I don't think so....

I do it daily and it's quick, painless, and requires no additional crap.  Can't say that for your solutions.  They  require a whole boat load of crap...  Phase simply missed the boat.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:16:22 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

pschefz

have to agree with craig....shooting to card and HD is super important when shooting tethered.....i actually cant think of any reason why that would NOT be important.....and when in doubt, just add a check box to have the option....

things that people like when shooting tethered:
preview on back of camera
write to card AND HD

i would be interested in a MUCH better way to back up then to write the file twice immediately after capture...
schefz.com
artloch.com

Doug Peterson

i would be interested in a MUCH better way to back up then to write the file twice immediately after capture...

The much better way is the way I outlined in my link.

The method I outlined in the link backs up the other important information of the tethered shoot as well:
- adjustments
- crops
- renaming of filenames
- division of hundreds/thousands of images into subfolders
- selects / numerical-ratings / color-tags
- preview/cache data (which for 3000 images can take a long time to rebuild)
- products like on-site retouches, comps, or proof images

The method I outlined also:
- can be instantly placed onto a backup computer to continue the shoot/edit/review (think about the download time on a full 32gb card plus all the time to re-render preview files)
- can be used throughout the shoot/edit/retouch process in the field since it's backing up the entire project rather than just the raws
- has essentially unlimited space (1TB+) and you don't have to change out (and track) cards when full

The only two advantages I see shooting dual to the CF card and computer are seeing the image on the camera (I typically shoot with a Phase or Leaf tethered so that is the case anyway) and having an instant up-the-minute backup. But honestly, how often would it be catastrophic to loose the last 60 seconds worth of images? I think it would be far more catastrophic to tell your client that all of their selections and everything they saw and signed off on during the shoot have to be redone because all you have is a CF card of the raw files you shot (no adjustments, no selects, no organization/notes/naming/metadata).

Do you see my point? I definitely see yours about the LCD on a Canon/Nikon. And for sure I'm all about more features/choices (as long as the UI does not become overly complicated). But if it was a feature I wouldn't use it and I'd much rather them focus on other projects.

BTW, if you really want to shoot simultaneous card/HD you could always disable Canon/Nikon tethering in C1 and use Canon Utility or Nikon's software to tether into a folder which you make a "Hot Folder" in C1. For your sake I hope they add the feature in C1, but I also hope you'll consider the advantages of a true backup rather than simultaneous raw-dump.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:03:46 pm by dougpetersonci »

Craig Lamson

The much better way is the way I outlined in my link.

My method* backs up the other important information of the tethered shoot as well:
- adjustments
- crops
- renaming of filenames
- division of hundreds/thousands of images into subfolders
- selects / numerical-ratings / color-tags
- preview/cache data (which for 3000 images can take a long time to rebuild)
- products like on-site retouches, comps, or proof images

My method also
- can be instantly placed onto a backup computer to continue the shoot/edit/review (think about the download time on a full 32gb card plus all the time to re-render preview files)
- can be used throughout the shoot/edit/retouch process in the field since it's backing up the entire project rather than just the raws
- has essentially unlimited space (1TB+) and you don't have to change out (and track) cards when full

The only two advantages I see shooting dual to the CF card and computer are seeing the image on the camera (I typically shoot with a Phase or Leaf tethered so that is the case anyway) and having an instant up-the-minute backup. But honestly, how often would it be catastrophic to loose the last 60 seconds worth of images? I think it would be far more catastrophic to tell your client that all of their selections and everything they saw and signed off on during the shoot have to be redone because all you have is a CF card of the raw files you shot (no adjustments, no selects, no organization/notes/naming/metadata).

Do you see my point? I definitely see yours about the LCD on a Canon/Nikon. And for sure I'm all about more features/choices (as long as the UI does not become overly complicated). But if it was a feature I wouldn't use it and I'd much rather them focus on other projects.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Since my clients don't make selects, don't sign off on adjustments etc. its a moot point at least for me.  The backup routine you suggested is crazy for a location shoot.   The simple solution is for Phase to give us a choice and make their software much more useful ( for me to be useful at all)  as a tethered capture tool.  Canon and Breeze don't have any problem doing it, what is the problem with Phase?

Its a shame really, this is not rocket science.
Craig Lamson Photo

pschefz

all this can be done as well, but regardless, the simplest, easiest way is to just let me save it to card as well...
also: after a shoot, regardless of where i am, i can put a case or 2 with all the cards of the day or week in my pocket...

schefz.com
artloch.com

MrSmith

this will be very useful for me, it means i can change shutter speed when shooting tethered without touching the camera. makes hdr blending much easier.
don't like the canon software as it's clunky and prefer to work just with capture one.

happyman

It´s a common problem with dealers that they want you to think their way all the time.  ???

Doug Peterson

It's hard not to find that a bit insulting, especially given a long history here of seeking information and advocating for photographers based on their feedback and being open to learning new things and being wrong.

The two here have convinced me that in their situations it would be a useful feature but I was too busy with other work to update yesterday the thread to say so.

My experience is with more locked-down or high-production tethered jobs which are the norm in Miami. For a solo shooter, not using any of the tools of tethering (selects, adjustments, styling, organization, renaming), there would be little advantage and it would be more cumbersome to use the method I suggested. In their case dual computer/CF shooting would be the best option.

So thank you pschefz & Craig.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:52:54 pm by dougpetersonci »

bcooter

I don't have a dog in this fight, because I'm not selling anything to anybody on this forum.

Doug, it's cool you've given out a lot of info and you know a lot about your product.  Once again, that cool and we all know you want to sell what you represent, that's everyone's goal that works for a living.

Still, it's a little disingenuous to say it's ok to tether a canon and not see what's on the back of the camera cause when you use a phase you can see it.

No offense though you can see it with the IQ series, but with the other 44 series of phase cameras all you could see on the back of the camera was some kind of thing that kind of looked like a photograph.

Anyway, you guys fixed that and good for you, I'm glad you did, but I can use EOS utility to tether all day long with my canons and see the back of the camera, save to card and computer and rename, adjust files, set iso etc. etc. and the cost of EOS utility is (let me check my monthly statement) oh yea, it's free.

Now I like C-1 for batch processing out Canon files, it does a good job and I bought two licenses.

Anyway since you talk to those boys and girls in Denmark (and since they don't go on public forums themselves) ask them why it's so hard to see the image on the camera of a Canon or Nikon using their software?

That probably would help a lot of people.

IMO

BC

oh yea, about losing the last 60 seconds of images . . . could be no problem, could be a career wreck.

It depends on what you shoot.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:43:35 pm by bcooter »

design_freak

I don't have a dog in this fight, because I'm not selling anything to anybody on this forum.

Doug, it's cool you've given out a lot of info and you know a lot about your product.  Once again, that cool and we all know you want to sell what you represent, that's everyone's goal that works for a living.

Still, it's a little disingenuous to say it's ok to tether a canon and not see what's on the back of the camera cause when you use a phase you can see it.

No offense though you can see it with the IQ series, but with the other 44 series of phase cameras all you could see on the back of the camera was some kind of thing that kind of looked like a photograph.

Anyway, you guys fixed that and good for you, I'm glad you did, but I can use EOS utility to tether all day long with my canons and see the back of the camera, save to card and computer and rename, adjust files, set iso etc. etc. and the cost of EOS utility is (let me check my monthly statement) oh yea, it's free.

Now I like C-1 for batch processing out Canon files, it does a good job and I bought two licenses.

Anyway since you talk to those boys and girls in Denmark (and since they don't go on public forums themselves) ask them why it's so hard to see the image on the camera of a Canon or Nikon using their software?

That probably would help a lot of people.

IMO

BC

oh yea, about losing the last 60 seconds of images . . . could be no problem, could be a career wreck.

It depends on what you shoot.

Whoever sees the relationship with the CapturePilot ?Needless to see the image on the camera screen, the camera suspended on Megaboom... Someone wrote this program for this purpose. Or maybe I'm really mad now, for which I am here considered.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:08:19 am by design_freak »
Best regards,
DF

Craig Lamson

It's hard not to find that a bit insulting, especially given a long history here of seeking information and advocating for photographers based on their feedback and being open to learning new things and being wrong.

The two here have convinced me that in their situations it would be a useful feature but I was too busy with other work to update yesterday the thread to say so.

My experience is with more locked-down or high-production tethered jobs which are the norm in Miami. For a solo shooter, not using any of the tools of tethering (selects, adjustments, styling, organization, renaming), there would be little advantage and it would be more cumbersome to use the method I suggested. In their case dual computer/CF shooting would be the best option.

So thank you pschefz & Craig.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Thanks Doug. Just yo be clear I've be a happy C1 user since 2001, and it's my converter of choice.  Like BC I too have purchased two seats to v6.  I have very few complaints, except the tethering thing.  Since I do still life, and bracket, I was hoping that camera control in C1 would finally give me a one program tethering solution.  Its not the end of the world since Breeze DSLR pro is ...well a breeze to use either to a hot folder to C1, Bridge or Lightroom.

But a bug in the ear of Phase One for write to card would great.

Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up