Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Ventizz to acquire Hasselblad  (Read 60486 times)

Erick Boileau

• http://
Re: Ventizz to acquire Hasselblad
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 04:44:23 am »

The announcement has been made and the news has been broadcast.

What announcement or news are you expecting?
the annoucement of new product line, what will come next ....

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 04:52:02 am »

the annoucement of new product line, what will come next ....

The new owners are probably still picking out wallpaper for their new office. Give them time.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 05:23:29 am »

The announcement has been made and the news has been broadcast.

What announcement or news are you expecting?

I'm expecting the usual first announcement of who gets to be fired, which is expected after a takeover.

Needless to say the "useless" people customarily include some back-office nerds who were not articulate enough about the fact that they are the ones with tech savvy which underlies the products currently marketed and under development.

Their much more political bosses and product managers usually manage to save their skins, and the higher up you get the better they fare out of the universal executive/executive honor code: Economy class gets booted out the door, Business Class get to stay in their seats, First Class get golden parachutes.

The next announcement is then usually the fact that the factory is being closed down and production moved to china, software products are being cancelled which is often just a smokescreen to disguise the fact that without the above nerds production cannot be sustained.

I just wish Hassy got sold to Fuji and the end of this dumb story.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:30:23 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

design_freak

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:04 am »

Hopefully any news or announcements will be made when products become available.

The main thing is to be able to learn from their mistakes. I am very pleased  :)
Best regards,
DF

DeeJay

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 11:22:59 am »

Don't expect any product announcements for 2-5 years.

Erick Boileau

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:15 am »

Don't expect any product announcements for 2-5 years.
in 5 years without wake up they will be dead

design_freak

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 11:37:37 am »

in 5 years without wake up they will be dead

You probably do not realize that they were already almost dead. They should pray every day that someone has invested. I think that should give them a few months to release new products. The most likely product is H4D80, already well mastered H4D60 matrix, which, unfortunately, it took them 1.5 years more. But now the implementation of the larger matrix will not be a problem. Of course, these are just guesses. I am very positively to this attitude. I keep my fingers crossed
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:40:20 am by design_freak »
Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 11:50:25 am »

For me personally the best, they may refine the existing products in terms of software (firmware, Phocus). I definitely do not need more megapixels
Best regards,
DF

Erick Boileau

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 12:26:51 pm »

For me personally the best, they may refine the existing products in terms of software (firmware, Phocus). I definitely do not need more megapixels
you cannot imagine an other evolution than megapixels in the MF world  ?

design_freak

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 04:18:27 pm »

you cannot imagine an other evolution than megapixels in the MF world  ?

I see many opportunities to develop medium format ... I wrote that for me it does not matter. But it's most likely scenario. And probably the easiest to do ... Besides, they have to catch up with market leader, right? And you can see what kind of possibilities, silver, gold, red or maybe blue paint?
Best regards,
DF

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »

Yes I totally agree - we need things like Live view, a better (much better) screen, a better tethering method or a wi-fi connection, weather proofing, VR or IS, better high ISO performance and so on.  But whilst P1 is running a megapixel race HB needs to be in the game.  Let's hope they all stop at 80MP and Phocus (LOL) on some or all of the above features.
David Watson ARPS

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »

Yes I totally agree - we need things like Live view, a better (much better) screen, a better tethering method or a wi-fi connection, weather proofing, VR or IS, better high ISO performance and so on.  But whilst P1 is running a megapixel race HB needs to be in the game.

P1 is running a megapixel race?? It doesn't seem that way to me at all.

Included in the IQ (from your list):
- Live View on LCD (CCD quality not CMOS quality, but better than nothing!)
- Much Better Screen (best of any pro camera)
- Better Tethering Method (USB3, USB2, FW400, FW800)
- (better) Weather Proofing - internalized battery compartment, covers for all ports
- Better High ISO performance (up to ISO3200 via sensor+)

Plus: secondary physical controls for operation with gloves (when touch screen is not feasible), focus mask, two axis real-time-readout tilt meter, smooth thumbnail scrolling, zoom-to-specific-point, automatic perspective correction, rating/color-tag passthrough, faster shooting (up to 1.8 fps), built-in flash transmitter (no extra battery, device, cables), flash sync up to 1/1600, and countless software advancements that go hand-in-hand with the hardware/acquisition, warranty up to 5 years, .

More complete weather proofing would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd ever use a 20k+ camera in a downpour so "pretty good" weather proofing is good enough for my personal use. VR or IS would be really nice! I will applaud with whomever in medium format is able to make the investment for such an advancement. Wireless tethering would be a dream but I don't foresee any camera company including it in the next 2 years (only educated guess here), Live View that can match Canon/Nikon would have to wait until a CMOS sensor. Whatever company releases the first medium format CMOS back would have been working on it and investing in it for several (probably many) years without profit-before-release from that work/investment.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Erick Boileau

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »

Yes I totally agree - we need things like Live view, a better (much better) screen, a better tethering method or a wi-fi connection, weather proofing, VR or IS, better high ISO performance and so on.  But whilst P1 is running a megapixel race HB needs to be in the game.  Let's hope they all stop at 80MP and Phocus (LOL) on some or all of the above features.
+1000

to me yes it does +   live view of course
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:39:18 pm by erickb »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2011, 05:38:28 pm »

Besides, they have to catch up with market leader, right?

Well, sort of, but not necessarily with megapixels. They can take the lead in many other ways - introduce a range of more affordable integrated cameras, or take the lead with high ISO performance, or with a much faster frame rate, or wireless tethering, or all sorts of other innovative features. I think the one area in which they really have to catch up is the high definition touch screen technology. Once people have tried that, they won't want anything else.

Erick Boileau

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »

or a   CMOS  foveon-like sensor  with live-view and zoom x 10  ... something new, interesting , to give up with the middle age
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:42:40 pm by erickb »

design_freak

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2011, 05:50:27 pm »

Included in the IQ (from your list):
- Live View on LCD (CCD quality not CMOS quality, but better than nothing!)
- Much Better Screen (best of any pro camera)
- Better Tethering Method (USB3, USB2, FW400, FW800)
- (better) Weather Proofing - internalized battery compartment, covers for all ports
- Better High ISO performance (up to ISO3200 via sensor+)

Plus: secondary physical controls for operation with gloves (when touch screen is not feasible), focus mask, two axis real-time-readout tilt meter, smooth thumbnail scrolling, zoom-to-specific-point, automatic perspective correction, rating/color-tag passthrough, faster shooting (up to 1.8 fps), built-in flash transmitter (no extra battery, device, cables), flash sync up to 1/1600, and countless software advancements that go hand-in-hand with the hardware/acquisition, warranty up to 5 years, .

More complete weather proofing would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd ever use a 20k+ camera in a downpour so "pretty good" weather proofing is good enough for my personal use. VR or IS would be really nice! I will applaud with whomever in medium format is able to make the investment for such an advancement. Wireless tethering would be a dream but I don't foresee any camera company including it in the next 2 years (only educated guess here), Live View that can match Canon/Nikon would have to wait until a CMOS sensor. Whatever company releases the first medium format CMOS back would have been working on it and investing in it for several (probably many) years without profit-before-release from that work/investment.

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

1) As for the race for megapixels:
Let's examine the facts, P1 was the first 60mpix , 80Mpix Leaf then P1 (but it's a group of P1) - can not be denied that the P1 is not participating in this race. Hasselblad releases 60mpix matrix with a 1.5 year delay. Do you want to or not take part in it as a salesman.
The rest, I'm glad that the P1 drives this market. Competition is good.

2) I can not see anything strange in the use of equipment in even the most nasty weather, if the equipment is built according to this. And if it costs 2 or 40 thousand dollars, it does not matter. It's just a tool.

3) As an American, you should have more faith. Not only the money counts in this matter, the most important are the people who make these companies. If these companies will be working right people (with unconventional thinking), determined to achieve the goal, then you can manage to overcome all barriers.(even the time) A lot of work and the right people! If we all say that something is impossible, there would be no progress.

Remember how it was said that the live view is not possible with current (CCD) technology, but P1 did do it.

Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »

Well, sort of, but not necessarily with megapixels. They can take the lead in many other ways - introduce a range of more affordable integrated cameras, or take the lead with high ISO performance, or with a much faster frame rate, or wireless tethering, or all sorts of other innovative features. I think the one area in which they really have to catch up is the high definition touch screen technology. Once people have tried that, they won't want anything else.

Guys, please read with understanding. Sentence out of context can change the meaning ...
Best regards,
DF

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 02:59:21 am »

Thank you Doug!  I am full of admiration for your ability to turn a discussion about Hasselblad's takeover into yet another sales opportunity for P1.

Nevertheless whether it is P1's intention to run a megapixel race that is in effect what has happened.  Turning to your list of features which are definitely better than the competition they still fall well short of those features available in virtually every pro-sumer and pro camera.  If both P1 and HB had invested time and money in a new CMOS sensor rather than in even more MP's we may well have these features by now.  HB will undoubtedly be working hard to upgrade their digital backs even further to compete with P1.  When are P1 going to invest in their camera system so that it might possibly begin to compete with HB?
David Watson ARPS

design_freak

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 06:49:38 am »

Who'll win the MFD war?

Ultimately who cares? Virtually no one in the industry could give a damn, photographers will continue to pick up their Canons and Nikons and use them without giving a thought or care for MFD. The clue is in why those photographers pick up their Canons and Nikons day in and day out and it's certainly little or nothing to do with sky-high megapixel counts.

Leica kind of get it but have pretty much priced themselves out of the game. Pentax kind of get it but lack commitment. Hasselblad? Hopefully they’ve got it and with fresh investment they’ll look to expand their market rather than fight for the ever diminishing scraps at the MFD table. Phase One? Nobody outside of the industry has ever heard of them, they’ll need to get it.

Time will tell.

Let no one won, it would mean the end of the market. Can you imagine the streets of BMW brand cars only? Would such a ride? Competition is very good. Without it there would be no progress. The only thing about which you should worry about is whether the photograph survives. And if photograph survive in 10 years in which direction it will evolve. Publishing industry has long walks toward the tablet. So you will need XXL Mpix cameras? In the future, if you will need it for the packaging industry. I think so because the printing industry is undergoing a similar transformation in recent years. And the future belongs only to the packaging (paper available only in electronic form.) The only question is whether or not the packaging industry will be revolutionized, anything is possible. So guys enjoy the advantages that we now have, because the sad times will come: electric cars, the food tasteless, cameras that will do the same pictures / videos.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:04:46 am by design_freak »
Best regards,
DF

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:56 am »

Phase One? Nobody outside of the industry has ever heard of them, they’ll need to get it.

People outside the film industry haven't heard of Arri. Does that really matter?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up