Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: black ink on canvas  (Read 4441 times)

Didymus

black ink on canvas
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:20 am »

I have a roll of canvas for my epson 4880 and I need help deciding which black to use.  The instructions say to use matte black with a protective spray and to use photo black if I'm going to put it behind glass without protective spray.  I don't want to put a canvas print behind glass and I really don't want to switch blacks unless I need to.  What are the risks if I leave a photo black print exposed with or without a protective spray?  Does anyone have experience with photo and matte black inks on canvas?

Thanks

Sven W

Re: black ink on canvas
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:33:15 am »

You'll get a bit weaker blackness with PK on a MK-ink media.
The opposite is worse: MK ink don't "penetrate" PK media enough and can therefor rub off.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Didymus

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:59:36 am »

It's a satin canvas roll.  The instructions are allowing me to use either.  Matte exposed and photo behind glass.  I'm assuming the photo black can't handle a protective coating.  I guess I want to know if the photo black without a protective coating will last.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:28:18 am »

Maybe I'm just silly, but I don't see why pk or mk would make any difference at all when it comes to coating the canvas. Print with pk if the manufacturer says it'll work, then spray the sucker with your favourite coating. Should come out just fine.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:45:00 am »

It's a satin canvas roll.  The instructions are allowing me to use either.  Matte exposed and photo behind glass.  I'm assuming the photo black can't handle a protective coating.  I guess I want to know if the photo black without a protective coating will last.

If the PK printed canvas cannot handle a protective coating then that ink really should not be used regardless of what you are told. (In my opinion)
The PK will probably not dry which causes the topcoat not to adhere properly.
I do not know of a canvas that would not benefit from protective coatings.
You sure are welcome to try. Just hang it really high so no one can touch it.

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:47 am »

You really need to coat any canvas prints.  Best, in my opinion, is a roll on coating like Eco Print Shield rather than a spray on coating like those from Epson, Hahnemuhle, Premier (might all be the same coating just white labeled).  The roll on coatings prevent touch/scratch damage, are better UV protectants, do a better job of sealing the inks and are far better at preventing edge/corner cracking when the canvas is stretched.

It seems a bit odd that a satin media wouldn't use Photo Black.  Personally, I'd switch to a different canvas. 

mikev1

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:47 pm »

I think the Epson Satin Canvas, the recommendation is the MK.

In any event any canvas should be coated.  If you are just hanging it around your house and not to concerned you can get away with not doing it.

I have a roll of Premier Imaging Generations Satin canvas around here and the black ink MK or PK just will not adhere at all.

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:31:05 pm »

I've run extensive tests on the Epson Exhibition Canvas series of Matte, Satin and Gloss. 

(Fair warning, I'm with Epson and cannot speak to other manufacturer's media)

Matte Black ink (MK) will yield the best D-Max and Color Gamut over Photo Black ink (PK)

In my experience, if final canvas prints produced with MK are to be handled in anyway, they should be coated.

If not coated, canvas prints produced with MK easily smudge and fingerprint.

The only advantage of using PK is improved durability in regards to smudging and fingerprinting.

But it is still recommended to coat canvas prints even if produced with PK.

If the prints are to be mounted and framed where they will not be touched, then there is no need to coat. But most canvas is stretched and thus the general recommendation.

Quick Tip
To get the best quality on the Exhibition Canvas series DO NOT select "Canvas" as the Media Type in the driver.  Instead select "Watercolor Radiant White Paper" and use MK ink.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

Randy Carone

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:58:27 pm »

Dano,

Just to clarify - are you recommending MK ink for Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte, Satin and Gloss (if it is to be coated)?
Randy Carone

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »

For the best print quality use MK on all 3 of the Exhibition Canvas medias (Exhibition Canvas Matte, Exhibition Canvas Satin and Exhibition Canvas Gloss)

It may sound unintuitive to use MK on a product with "Gloss" in the title, but MK will produce the best quality.

It is highly recommended to coat any canvas print produced with MK ink to prevent smudging and fingerprinting.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »

Dano

OK So if you are coating the canvas.. Than wich coating would you reccomend with these Epson Canvases.
a Water Based Or a Solvent Based..?

Thanks
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper ??? ???
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »

Hi Jimmy:

For the Exhibition Canvases, both aqueous and solvent based products can work.

But its always best to check with individual manufacturers of sprays/roll-on coatings if their products have been tested for use with ink jet prints/canvas to ensure there is no impact on print quality, and that over time, their coatings will not yellow or crack.

Dano
Pages: [1]   Go Up