Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What non-HC lens can be used with hasselblad H1/H2 body?  (Read 3679 times)

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician
What non-HC lens can be used with hasselblad H1/H2 body?
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:27 pm »

Trying to see what I can get to work with Hasselblad H1/h2 body for in-studio (preferably with macro ) use.
Obviously it will be fully manual, but it will be good to have focus confirmation from the camera.
 I know  that V-mount lenses can be used this way, what else? Is there is any H-mount adapters exits for other (non-hasselblad) lenses?

Thank you in advance:-)
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: What non-HC lens can be used with hasselblad H1/H2 body?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:19 pm »

The H body is a leaf-shutter only body and therefore any lens you adapt must have a leaf shutter.

Bodies with a focal plane shutter only, or a focal plane plus compatibility with leaf shutter lenses (Canon/Nikon/Mamiya/Phase/Contax/etc) can use a larger variety of lenses via adapters. For instance here is a setup using a Leica photar lens for extreme macro on a Phase One body.

You might broaden your question to what recommendations others have for you to use your digital back for tabletop macro. There are several here very happy with view cameras which still have a lot of use/advantages specifically for what you're doing. That's the joy of medium format, your back can come off a body that has one set of advantages/disadvantages to a different kind of body that has a different set of advantages/disadvantages according to your needs at the time!

Maybe you could start by elaborating on about your current H-body rig you're not not fully satisfied by for this specific application. Maybe it could be addressed without additional lenses or adding other gear - e.g. by adding some modest DOF stacking into your workflow.

What kind of digital-back/software/workflow/lighting/subject-setup are you using?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:41:40 pm by dougpetersonci »

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

Well, right now I am using cambo ultima D with Shcneider 120mm macro and p25+ H-mount back:

Full description: "my charismatic camera" post

It works great for tabletop stuff, but I am thinking to get a lighter setup, more like hand-held,  so I am going to buy used H1/h2 body. Good used one cost around $2000 , but I am not ready to spend  $3000-$4000 for HC 120mm F4 macro right now. This is why I've asked about other options with the lens.

Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com

pgmj

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:11:21 am »

The old Zeiss S-Planar 120/5.6 C (indeed a V lens) performs very well at 1:5 and closer distances. Looking at MTF charts indicates that it actually is better at shorter distances than the 120/4 Makro-Planar that replaced it. Not sure how it compares to the new 120/4 H lens, though.

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:50 am »

The old Zeiss S-Planar 120/5.6 C (indeed a V lens) performs very well at 1:5 and closer distances. Looking at MTF charts indicates that it actually is better at shorter distances than the 120/4 Makro-Planar that replaced it. Not sure how it compares to the new 120/4 H lens, though.

I need a regular lens, with good performance at infinity. macro work I'll leave for my Cambo+ Schneider. 100-150mm range. Do you know any good old ones Zess?
Thank you!
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com

pgmj

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »

The 100mm f/3.5 would probably be best for infinity shooting at 100-150mm. The C and CF versions are optically identical. If on a budget, I'd look for a black T*-coated C. It has very very low distortion (check the scale on the MTF linked below), and doesn't need to be stopped down much to get great performance.

The CF 150/4 is more expensive, but also very good. It has more distortion, though, compared to the 100.

MTF charts:
http://hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

pgmj

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »

I have the 100/3.5 (using a 500C/M and Imacon 132c 22mpix) and could make some test shots if you are interested.

Btw, I like your blog!

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »

Wow, thank you for the link. Great resource!

:)
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up