Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argyll chartread with an i1Pro  (Read 2597 times)

tony22

Argyll chartread with an i1Pro
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Need help with picking the best parameters for doing strip reads of my printed target charts. I saw VitOne's setup here

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53408.msg436392#msg436392

I've also seen examples with the chart reading done with a very simple 'chartread -v name' command. But in particular I wanted to know whether I should use either the transmission or emissive switches. It seems like I should be telling Argyll what mode I want to use for reading the charts, or does it just default to the right one once it sees what reader I'm using?

And secondly, I read the page on Argyll's FWA compensation and how to do it (using the illumread command). Has anyone actually done this? It seems a little unclear.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Argyll chartread with an i1Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:41:10 pm »

You don't need to do anything other than using the simple command for chartread.  If you have prepared your charts correctly all of the stuff you need is in the Argyll *ti2 file.  You cannot use the FWA compensation unless you do all of the other work on measuring the blank paper for its properties.  I have found this to be unnecessary for the papers I use.  Perhaps if you are using a paper with very high amounts this might be useful to do but it does require extra work.

tony22

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:55 pm »

Okay Alan. I just read my charts and had an odd thing happen from the start, all the way through reading the final row. I kept getting a <Warning> after each row with Argyll thinking I read a row different than what it called for. I surely did not, but did not understand why I was getting this error for every row. I made d@mn sure I was reading the exact row it asked for. There is only one .ti2 file in the directory I pointed to (and it's matches the .ti1 file I used for generating the test charts). I just accepted the data for the indicated row and moved on to the next. Any idea what this means?

I made sure the i1 reading platform (I have the nice kind with the Teflon cradle etc) had its slot for the i1Pro nose right over the correct row every time, but I did notice the patch size was juust a hair too short for the width of the window. Could that be it? Could the i1Pro have been reading the colors from either the row above or below the target row along with the target patches?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:13 am »

I made sure the i1 reading platform (I have the nice kind with the Teflon cradle etc) had its slot for the i1Pro nose right over the correct row every time, but I did notice the patch size was juust a hair too short for the width of the window. Could that be it? Could the i1Pro have been reading the colors from either the row above or below the target row along with the target patches?
I replied on the Argyll listserve to this but one other thing occured to me right now.  If you printed everything out correctly you should have a grid that measures about 6 5/8 by 8 3/4 containing 22 rows that you need to read with 21 patches in each row.  The dimensions of these patches is fine for an i1 Pro if you are using the chartread ruler that comes with the spectro.  You do need to be careful to make sure the ruler doesn't overlap a row either above or below it.  If the dimensions are somehow off you may need to create a custom set (but this has never been what I have experienced).
Pages: [1]   Go Up