Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog of the Day  (Read 7055 times)

BobDavid

Dog of the Day
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:05:56 pm »

A regal canine.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Dog of the Day
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:33:34 am »

Nice one!  The image too!  ;)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

stamper

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:12:45 am »

It looks like you have selected the dog and pasted it into a new background or you have cloned the background. There aren't any stray hairs showing on the left hand side of the dog. Your processing appears to have spoiled a potentially nice image of a dog. :(

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:30 am »

No cloning, no pasting, just a little blurring. I see what you're talking about, funny how the dog blends in so much better in the print version.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:56:17 am by BobDavid »

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:03 am »

It looks like you have selected the dog and pasted it into a new background or you have cloned the background. There aren't any stray hairs showing on the left hand side of the dog. Your processing appears to have spoiled a potentially nice image of a dog. :(

Bloody hairdressers and makeup artists ruin everything these days!

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:08:41 am »

Woof, woof!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:15 pm »

Woof, woof!

Dare I whisper: miau...?

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »

Better not. Poncho is likely to bite you.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:09:53 am »

Looks like the thread has been dogjacked? :-[

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:25:23 am »

Now catnapped. Barking cat.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 04:01:24 am »

Now catnapped. Barking cat.

Cheers,

This thread is becoming quite educational; one cat writes miau whereas another meow. This clearly demonstrates the cultural differences between the Italian/Spanish worlds and the English/Amerenglish, the phonetic distinctions that both unite and divide the peoples.

Who needs war zones when all you have to do is turn on, tune in and then find that Vista is switching you off because it has decided, on your behalf, you understand, to download another three modifications unto itself? Worse, it cut me off right in the middle of this:

http://youtu.be/H_lqJk5JzeA

which is obiously the only reasonable way to approach 10a.m. and the need to go make some ersatz coffee.

;-(

Rob C

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:28 am »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:45 pm »

This thread is becoming quite educational; one cat writes miau whereas another meow. This clearly demonstrates the cultural differences between the Italian/Spanish worlds and the English/Amerenglish, the phonetic distinctions that both unite and divide the peoples.
I've always seen it spelled miaow. Double it and (apparently) you get a recreational drug. Set it to music and you get this, by Rossini (it's a bit long and, to my mind, taken rather too slowly, but it's funny to start with).

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

I've always seen it spelled miaow. Double it and (apparently) you get a recreational drug. Set it to music and you get this, by Rossini (it's a bit long and, to my mind, taken rather too slowly, but it's funny to start with).

Jeremy

Hmmm... that could be a local dialect slipping in there; I have sometimes followed in the footsteps of tourists and wondered where on Earth they come from, only to realise, when I have caught a particular word, that they are actually English!

Broadly speaking (rolls his eyes), regional accents are one thing, but they are often complicated further by tiny local differences such as, for example, those between Paisley and Glasgow; only around five miles or so centre-to-centre if you lack wings, but different. Here in Mallorca they have their own language which is called Mallorquin, a sort of Catalan, which is a quite different creature to the Castilian language which most assume is what Spanish is - if they live elsewhere. The odd thing I find is that when Mallorquin is spoken, it might as well be Russian as far as I understand it; however, when written, it is relatively easy for me to catch the drift because it looks to be a mixture of Spanish (see what I mean?), Italian and French. However, I'm told that some people have difficulty understanding one another in it if they come from different towns within these islands; then, ironically, they have to revert to Castilian as a lingua franca.

Apart from us cats, I suppose it affects the people in similar fashion.

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:45 pm »

Rob, I am continually amazed by accents. I had lunch in a Vietnamese restaurant recently grazing on bun bo xao (yum). I heard a normal Australian conversation but when I looked up I saw a 30-40 year old woman of Chinese parentage. Watching The Bill always intrigues me when it comes to accents.

A Scott speaking Spanish, now that is something that has to be seen/heard to be believed.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 04:55:32 am »

Rob, I am continually amazed by accents. I had lunch in a Vietnamese restaurant recently grazing on bun bo xao (yum). I heard a normal Australian conversation but when I looked up I saw a 30-40 year old woman of Chinese parentage. Watching The Bill always intrigues me when it comes to accents.

A Scott speaking Spanish, now that is something that has to be seen/heard to be believed.

Cheers,

I didn't know that. I hadn't realised that the Chinese talk to themselves in Australian.

Of course, I talk to myself all day long and, on occasion, I have even fallen out with myself. But I usually do that in English. However, I have started to swear to myself in Spanish Castilian and it feels rather different. Strange to tell, the Castilian word for that most feminine of parts which is so often (perversely) used as a cuss word, turns out to be a masculine noun. Who will ever understand national idiosyncracies? Maybe HSBC.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:20:33 am »

In German the nouns for knife, fork, and spoon are of three different genders. Go figure.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:59:42 am »

Eric, You knew someone was going to ask: what's the third gender?

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 10:21:40 am »

Any old Scot could tell you: boy, girl or hairdresser. It's a traditional reply to the obvious question when a new baby comes along. As in tiny child, I mean.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:10 pm »

I'll fool myself into thinking that that's a genuine question, Russ, and answer: neuter. Interestingly, bearing in mind Rob's reply, German babies are neuter (der Mann, die Frau, das Baby).

Well, that's 90% of my knowledge of German on display. I hope it's correct.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up