Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need CMYK  (Read 1835 times)

jeorf

Need CMYK
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:28 am »

I need CMYK files for a book and use LR3 as my main tool. I also have PSE8. Should I send them there for editing and then change them to CMYK to send to publisher?

Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Need CMYK
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:50:09 am »

Generally, and if you can't persuade them to take RGB, then yes go into Elements to do it.

This is worth reading too http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_reproprep.pdf

jeorf

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:49:02 pm »

Hm, seems Elements doesn't have a way to do that (unless, I wouldn't be surprised, I can't find it). Any other suggestions? My husband has an old version of PS (7?) on his computer. I could export them from LR as PS or tiff (which is what I ultimately need) files (?), send them on to him to change them? Does that seem like the best bet?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:17:25 am »

Given those limitations, yes, though I'd point you to what I feel is the most important thing Jeff says in that article:

If you are supplying what is called sheet fed, the job can get a little more complicated, since many printers tweak their presses and use alternative inks and paper when printing sheet fed. In the case of sheet fed, it’s optimal to obtain an ICC profile directly from the printer, something that, because of politics more than technical reasons, is often not available.

John

peterhandley

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:02:26 am »

You mentioned that your husband has Photoshop 7 (?) on his computer... that'll be just fine for converting the images to CMYK for print... in an ideal world the printer will have an established profile that they can send you to make the conversion simple enough to do... if not... if they're at least half way on the ball, their prepress department should be able to send you the specifications for the conversion... these would include - maximum ink density - likely somewhere between 300 and 320% depending in the paper and screen value being used (these are both questions that  are imperative to have answers for) dot gain percentage, UCR or GCR values - UCR = Under Colour Removal, GCR = Grey Colour Replacement - these are different CMYK conversion methods that effect the amount of black generated. Also... keep in mind you should do the final image sharpening AFTER you have converted to CMYK and the best method is to sharpen the BLACK (K) channel only. I've art directed, designed and done all production work on multiple large format high-end coffee table books and this is the process that I have followed with absolutely no grief.

cheers, and good luck!

peter

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

Note that IF you have a good CMYK profile for the process (otherwise don’t even think about doing the conversions) AND you are on a Mac, the Colorsync utility has provisions to convert RGB to CMYK and its free.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up