Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup body or telephoto accessory?  (Read 1024 times)

stever

Backup body or telephoto accessory?
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:09 pm »

i'm not a Leica owner, but i don't see a body with 2x multiplication as a very useful backup for most Leica users with a typical set of wide to normal lenses (so maybe something like a 12mm Voigtlander is part of the backupP

however, extending the focal length of these lenses - and being able to focus accurately beyond 50mm (effective) with Leica lenses sounds very worthwihile

the 1.5x of the NEX seems to be more useful as a backup, at least you can get 42mm eff from your Leica 28 - but i agree that the lack of viewfinder is (nearly) a killer

i've got to believe that i'm not the only photographer who would pay for a high quality mirrorless camera with viewfinder and high quality lenses - can the manufacturers figure this out?

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Backup body or telephoto accessory?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:00:44 am »

Interesting article by Michael, because he leaves the final choice to the reader based on several considerations, and some might be more important than others for different reasons and shooting styles.

The crop factor is a major drawback, where the M8 comes closest to the Nex but a FF mirrorless would be ideal.

I'll put my money on a Nex, but not as a back-up camera but as a prime platform to use my M-lenses (I hardly use my old M2 anymore, the last film spent ~ 8 years in it).

My reasons: 1.5 crop factor beats 2 and with this cheap solution I think you'll have the best EVF alternative around (especially when combined with focus peaking).

I'd be interested in what others make of the choice, because I know I've probably missed some other important factors in this.
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1]   Go Up