Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post Dusk Photo of Albert Dock in Liverpool  (Read 1983 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Post Dusk Photo of Albert Dock in Liverpool
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:40:55 pm »

Hi everyone

Here's one of my photos I took on the Liverpool leg of the 2 airport bars commission. The light around the docks was incredible at sunset.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:56:09 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

francois

Re: Post Dusk Photo of Albert Dock in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:42:46 am »

Wow. Although I find the whole image a bit unreal - colors maybe - the geometry of all the elements combined with the clouds/sky produce a nice image. My only negative remark would be that I can see some halos around the mast of the red ship, in the sky, above the building on the right of the photo.
Francois

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:49:17 am »

Hi Francois
Hope all is well with you. Point taken. I removed the halos around the mast. Have a look and see what you think.  :)

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:30 am »

Enda,

An appealing and interesting image.

IMHO the sky is a 'tad' unbalanced (heavy) in relation to the remainder of the image. I still see an almost empty blue shaft (devoid of cloud pattern) behind the mast - regardless of jpeg compression. The lighter blue sky immediately above the building (start of empty blue vertical shaft observed) is very noticeable, also cloud pattern missing down right edge of building. Same goes for the smaller building in the centre of the frame re halo to the left and right.
The bottom bit of sky is brighter in that area. I checked an unedited tif but I did darken it. You are right it is too uneven.

The ships hull looks like a cut-out from the water line as it meets the brick wall. It might be worth darkening down the brick wall a little.
I darkened it. Again you were right

The buildings end looks odd, partially due to the relationship with the mast.
It is what it is. It was the best position to get the new museum on the left and the boat on the right.

Re the missing cloud pattern, a very accurate selection around the mast and buildings appears required?
I don't use masks on skies other than sometimes for noise reduction under certain circumstances. I use color efex pro which gives much more accurate selections than masks for tricky areas.

francois

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:13:02 am »

Hi Francois
Hope all is well with you. Point taken. I removed the halos around the mast. Have a look and see what you think.  :)
I'm fine, thank you. I'm happier with the halo removal. The sky doesn't bother me and with the adjustments, I like your photo even more.
Good job!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up