Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3  (Read 6648 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:14:09 pm »

I went to the PMA 2011 Imaging & Entertainment Expo in Sydney yesterday with the main intent of having a look at the G3. I've been wanting a walkabout camera for a while now and the G3 seems to be "good enough". The specs seem to be similar to the GH2 except that the G3 is lighter and cheaper. I know the video is not as good but I have a 5D mark II and never use the video, so that is not a problem.

The card next to the camera said supply would available in July and when I asked that was confirmed. Michael was using his GH2 for months before they were available to look at in Australia so I'll believe it when I see it.

I would have expected some "buzz" about the camera but it has been quiet. Is it because of supply, specs, it's only a transition camera or what?

Cheers,

Tom Brown

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:35:49 pm »

Panasonic has anecdotally had serious supply issues in the US (see LL front page article by Mr Dubovoy), while not so much in Europe - no idea how it is in Australia. I believe G3 is supposed to be a "real" camera, not a stopgap or transition model. It's a bit low-spec for the camera geeks to get too excited about, which I believe is the reason for lack of buzz, along with the fact that it's not widely available, yet. The flagship cameras get all the love in the press.

You might want to wait a few days if possible: Olympus is releasing three (!) new MFT cameras on 30 June along with at least one lens (prime 12mm f/2.0 yay!), not known yet when they will ship.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:21 pm »

Speaking of Olympus, what I have been really waiting for is the digital equivalent of the OM1 to come out, but unfortunately that ain't going to happen.

The external viewfinder on the Pen is a deal breaker for me and I want a viewfinder.

Supply of Panasonic equipment is bad in Australia. When I went in to a shop in May to look at a GH2 I was told to go online. In fact I haven't been able to get my hands on one until yesterday at the show. I bought my last camera on spec in a rush of blood so I needed to get my hands on one to see what it was like. I have plenty of time on my hands now so I'm in no rush.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

MarkL

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:25:48 am »

I considered this for a while as a street camera given it is almost a GH but at a lower price. My main problem with it was lack of decent controls (they have removed even more forcing the serious photogs towards the GH), the menu is a touch screen and I'm not sure I could live with an EVF only. Battery life is meant to be really awful too.

The price with the 20mm f/1.7 puts it in Fuji X100 territory which despite it's quirks is a much more professional camera with physical controls, has a better lens and an OVF. If you must have the fastest AF and interchangable lenses it may be an option but it feels very overpriced for a camera geared towards the p&s brigade.

Roy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »

I received a G3 yesterday which I ordered last week from Henry's in Toronto. They had lots of stock.

Micheal's review seems to match my initial impression, although I have only used the G3 for a few hours.

It seems perfect for my needs as a compact, light-weight travel camera and it is great improvement over the G1 I have used for more than two years when traveling. After reassigning the Fn1 button as AF lock (which also actuates focus), the controls do the job.

Roy

picnic

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:42 am »

Agree.  I've had mine for about 10 days or so--got from Kenmore Camera in Seattle, WA and evidently had a good bit of stock for a Panny rep day.  I've had the G1 since Dec. 08 and GF1 since Sept. 09 and the G3 is a decided step up. I had planned to get a GH2 but since video is minor for me glad I waited for the G3 announcement.  

I've found, as a mostly EVF shooter, that opening and using the LCD when wanted and closing I never have to use the switch button--it automatically switches as it also does when you press review to view on LCD.  Works fine for me.  I like the ability to touch the focus area with MF lenses--but I can shut the LCD and it holds as it switches to EVF if I choose.

I was concerned about ergonomics having carried my DSLRs by grip/E1 wrist strap for years and using wrist strap for protection with G1, but I hauled out my Y strap and added the Black Rapid connector and now I can easily and almost weightlessly carry the G3 all day and have it ready to shoot.  When I want to carry lenses, etc. a small messenger bag put on first cross body and then the Y strap works great.

Getting comfortable with custom setup now and enjoying the camera a lot. Now waiting for LR to add support.

Diane
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:43:44 pm by picnic »

Colin4May

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:51:03 am »

Hi.

I'm glad some people have now got their sticky mitts  ;) on the Lumix G3!!  That's the camera I think I want (after seeing this pretty compelling advert http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Overview/LUMIX+G+Micro+System+Cameras/4855154/index.html
I wanted a cheaper lightweight Lumix, which is easy to use, but has a lot of features that I can use, once I've got to grips with the basics

In view of the possible supply problems, I checked a number of outlets in the UK, and it seems they have stock.  I want to check that the camera will be good for macro photography (bug shots are my particular bag). I see from othert Fora and Blogs that you can get Leica lenses that fit the G3, which opens up more opportunities.

So I'm pleased to see no negative reviews so far, so I guess I'll be ordering one before Summer's over!

feppe

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 07:54:56 am »

In view of the possible supply problems, I checked a number of outlets in the UK, and it seems they have stock.

Keep in mind this is a North America -based site, and that article with the supply problems was written from that perspective. Panasonic has had no supply problems in Europe with their cameras, and G3 is in stock in several countries.

Colin4May

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 10:00:18 am »

Keep in mind this is a North America -based site, and that article with the supply problems was written from that perspective. Panasonic has had no supply problems in Europe with their cameras, and G3 is in stock in several countries.

Ok! Thanks for that. I keep forgetting that while the internet knows no boundaries, suppliers do!!

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 07:14:44 am »

Though also note that the OP is in Australia!

feppe

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 09:28:30 am »

Though also note that the OP is in Australia!

I was responding to Colin, not OP.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:55 am »

I considered this for a while as a street camera given it is almost a GH but at a lower price. My main problem with it was lack of decent controls (they have removed even more forcing the serious photogs towards the GH), the menu is a touch screen and I'm not sure I could live with an EVF only. Battery life is meant to be really awful too.

The price with the 20mm f/1.7 puts it in Fuji X100 territory which despite it's quirks is a much more professional camera with physical controls, has a better lens and an OVF. If you must have the fastest AF and interchangable lenses it may be an option but it feels very overpriced for a camera geared towards the p&s brigade.

The G3 does not have only an EVF, it has LCD too - and a very nice one. The minor wrinkle is that you have to push a dedicated button to switch between them as opposed to auto-switching as in the G2. The LCD menus are much improved from the G2. The most important controls (mode, ISO, exposure +/-) are accessible by physical controls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up