Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D MarkII Live View with working apperture and times longer than 1/30 s  (Read 5480 times)

jsch

Hi,

am I missing something?

When shooting portaiture with the 5DMkII and the 50/1.2L at appertures between 1.2 and 2.8 I usually use live view to focus the camera. Due to the fact that this lens has a noticable focus shift in this f-stop range I need to focus with the working apperture and want to use exposure times longer than 1/30 s.

I can get the working apperture during live view by setting the live view to "stills and movie". With this setting the camera uses the working apperture during live view (this is what I want). And now comes my problem: With this setting I can't use exposure times longer than 1/30 because the camera thinks I'm going to make a film.

Is there a menue setting I have overseen, which uses during live view the working apperture and allows to use exposure times longer than 1/30 of a second.

Thank you.

Best,
Johannes

elf

Won't you have a lot of subject movement with slower shutter speeds?

Erick Boileau

• http://

I am not sure to understand ?
 I have done many shots  with 5D mark II  + live view +  many seconds exposure

adam z

Johannes

I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately I can't imagine what the solution may be, or if what you want is possible. The only workaround I can see is doing exactly as you are, then changing from video to regular liveview once you have focused with the working aperture, changing to the desired shutter speed, and shooting. I realise this is not a practical solution for shooting people or anything that moves, but it is the only thing seems possible. Hopefully someone else can help.

eliedinur

How about using the DoF button and manual focusing? With speeds below 1/30 you are probably using a tripod so using two hands, one for the DoF and one for focusing, shouldn't be a problem and you get the bonus of being able to use the magnifier.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

adam z

Great idea Elied - only disadvantage I can imagine is a dark image on screen if stopped down too much, but sounds like the OP is only stopping down a little so wouldn't be too much of an issue, especially if zoomed in on the focus point.

Jonny Gawler

• http://www.jonnygawler.com

If you do go the stopped-down manual route: if you haven't already, do try focusing screen eg-s. you'll see the viewfinder darken as you stop down but it will still be brighter at f2.8 than with the standard screen, and the image pops into focus so much more clearly.

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk

Johannes, I regularly use live view with D0F preview while taking landscapes with my 24mm TS-E and 5DII.
My shutter speeds are often longer than 1/30s.
Live view does not go dark when the DoF Preview button is pressed. Live view compensates to keep the screen brightness the same.

I prefer Live View for several reasons.
First, the Tilt Shift viewpoint is often too low to comfortably look through the viewfinder.
Second, I find I create much stronger graphic image compositions when I use live view, probably because I'm looking at it more from the eventual viewer's perspective and I'm less affected by the situation I'm in.
Thirdly - and relevant here - I can zoom in on the image and check the focal plane is where I want it and that the depth of field is appropriate. Pressing D0F Preview snaps the focus in and out making it easy to see how close something in the image is to the focal plane; little change is very close and huge change probably needs either a tweak to the location of the focal plane or be really careful to check the problem object is adequately sharp (typical problems are the tops of foreground objects).

I checked my settings and...
LV func setting - Stills + Movie and Exposure Simulation
Hope this helps
Duncan
Pages: [1]   Go Up