Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflection  (Read 3641 times)

Mihailo Radicevic

• My Flickr Showcase
Reflection
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:26:34 pm »

Hello,

would appreciate some honest comments regarding photo in attachment :)

Olympus E-1, 14-45mm, f11, 1/2 sec.

Thanks,
Mihailo

popnfresh

Re: Reflection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:25:10 pm »

The colors are way too saturated.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:07 pm »

But in the right venue you could probably sell 'em by the truckload!   :)  Quite a few average folks would love it as is.

Slipping out of critical mode, gorgeous shot!

Would recommend making test prints as is, 1/3 less saturation, and 2/3 less saturation.  But I won't bet my money on which one looks best.  From a purely printing point of view, you would get quite a bit of out-of-gamut color clipping from that image, bringing the saturation down into a printable range would probably give you the best looking prints.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:15:28 am »

I doubt this exists in nature so it is OTT?

stamper

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:17:03 am »

Considering the sun isn't really reaching this scene then the colours are OTT.

Mihailo Radicevic

• My Flickr Showcase
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:48:17 am »

Considering the sun isn't really reaching this scene then the colours are OTT.

What is OTT? :)

Edit: If that is over the top, then never mind :) Colors are saturated, I've tried less saturated version and I am still getting more or less the same felling but it's more easier to look at I guess.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:29:37 am by Mihailo Radicevic »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Reflection - Yikes!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:06:38 am »

Hi Mihailo,

Easy on the sliders - the composition really is very good and the image has been very well seen and taken, but way too much zingy over saturated colour has been forced into it.

Might I suggest you re-do this image from scratch, but with the intention of going for a B/W version of it.

Photobloke

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »

What I think is this: only photographers see what they believe are 'faults' and anyone else would simply be impressed with how nice everything looks. Since photographers aren't the world's best print buyers... go with your instincts.

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »

I think that a B&W conversion, with yellow filtration, could provide a very atmospheric image. Composition & exposure look just fine. It's a beautiful picture, just needs that B&W treatment  ;)

Mihailo Radicevic

• My Flickr Showcase
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:28:56 pm »

I think that a B&W conversion, with yellow filtration, could provide a very atmospheric image. Composition & exposure look just fine. It's a beautiful picture, just needs that B&W treatment  ;)

I've tried BW conversion but it's just doesn't give me the atmosphere I wanted. I have this pic in attachment that was taken on the same place but in different lightning conditions where BW worked out great.

@Rob C
Yeah, but for me as a beginner every comment and suggestion works, that's why I've posted here. It is over saturated for printing that is a fact :) 

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »

My first reaction was...whoooah...waaay to saturated!  but I kept looking at it and thinking... it almost looks like an acrylic painting and I like paintings.  The composition is really lovely.   might make interesting artwork printed "as is".  worth a try.  the rules are worth breaking now and then. eleanor

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

candide

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 05:36:55 pm »

My first reaction was...whoooah...waaay to saturated!  but I kept looking at it and thinking... it almost looks like an acrylic painting and I like paintings.  The composition is really lovely.   might make interesting artwork printed "as is".  worth a try.  the rules are worth breaking now and then. eleanor

I agree. At first the colors seemed very garish to me, but then as I continued to look, it took on a surreal aspect that I kind of like. It just seems to work.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 08:27:10 pm »

Looks like a great candidate for those super glossy or metallic papers, or prints on metal. Great atmosphere and sense of place, btw.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:08:45 am »

What I think is this: only photographers see what they believe are 'faults' and anyone else would simply be impressed with how nice everything looks. Since photographers aren't the world's best print buyers... go with your instincts.

+Amen.

If you can pull a nice print from that file, don't change a thing.  It's all too easy to suck the life out of an image in the service of pedantry that matters only to other photographers.

stamper

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 04:43:53 am »

+Amen.

If you can pull a nice print from that file, don't change a thing.  It's all too easy to suck the life out of an image in the service of pedantry that matters only to other photographers.

But....he did ask other photographers? I doubt that members of the general public are looking at this thread?

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 05:38:13 am »

But....he did ask other photographers? I doubt that members of the general public are looking at this thread?

Semantics, stamper; we are the general public; just a tiny part of that amorphous mass!

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 05:41:59 am »

Semantics, stamper; we are the general public; just a tiny part of that amorphous mass!

Rob C

Agreed.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:15 pm »

At first I thought that, if going to such saturated color in this picture, it might be better to make the color appear more obviously arbitrary.  But then I found I liked much of its structure and was mainly bothered by the way the yellow-green seemed to form a separate block.  Using the Color Balance panel in CS4, on the third try, I moved the three sliders 18 clicks to the right for the Shadows and Midtones and 18 clicks to the left for the Highlights, without preserving luminosity.  The attached is otherwise the same as your original.

Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up