Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Breathing Color canvas?  (Read 1836 times)

Robcat

New Breathing Color canvas?
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »

I was speaking with one of the Breathing Color reps a couple days ago and he mentioned they're introducing a new canvas in August. He claimed that it's a gloss surface that is intended not to require any coating for normal gallery display and still meet "100 yr life" (he said you should coat it if you were displaying outdoors at a fair or something). I didn't gather any more details as we were speaking mainly of other things. Anybody heard more than this? Obviously we can question/debate the 100-yr business, but I must admit, this sounds interesting---much as I love spraying and rolling  ;)
Rob P

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: New Breathing Color canvas?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »

That would be crystalline.  It's not new as it was announced in earlier this year.   They have it on their
website but you can't order it.  They pulled it off for orders in late April.  I am patiently waiting for them to get
back on the market.  It has great potiential just wish they would get back on the market.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:00:50 am »

I must have gotten one of the last rolls before they pulled it.  Needed work, you didn't miss a thing.  Would be a wonderful product if the new-improved version lives up to claims.  It would be worth some money to me to lose the coating step without losing durability or appearance.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:06:49 am »

I swear we had a thread about this not too long ago but I can't find it :( Folks who had rolls before it was pulled said it still needed work.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:40:33 am »

I couldn't find the thread either.  To summarize...scuffing problems, any liquid cleaning attempt would be a disaster, kind of a hazy appearance, etc.  The kind of abuse we routinely heap on a coated canvas would cause damage in every case.  A little more durable than an ordinary uncoated canvas, but not much.  But looked great when coated.  Marketing got way out ahead of this one.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:00:20 am »

Can't see how you can make a microporous coated product and get away with not spraying it for protection from airborne contaminates. And of course, swellable polymer ink receptor coated products can't be made water resistant. Sounds like marketing hype for the lazy canvas printers out there.

I guess we'll see how many people buy a second roll when the product finally hits the market.

mikev1

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »

I've heard a few other manufacturers are working along these lines as well.

I too am skeptical about the no coating claims.  It would be great though if it works.

Light Seeker

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »

I had a few questions about Crystalline when it first came out and when I asked about coating it, they acknowledged that this was still necessary for thorough protection.

Terry.

simplify

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:51:20 am »

We have some crystalline, its sucks,  the weave is way too thick for photography and the part about not coating it was bull.  The ink would rub right off.  With love the Lyve with Satin coating though, it is the perfect canvas.

Robcat

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 01:16:29 pm »

Oh well. Sounds like this falls under the "if it sounds too good to be true..."
Protect with glass or protect with a coating.
Rob P
Pages: [1]   Go Up