Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking laptop and desktop  (Read 1955 times)

NigelC

Linking laptop and desktop
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:51 am »

Recently replaced laptop with Win 7 64bit  2.2 i7 Thinkpad W520 with 8GB of RAM and pretty high spec graphics card. I think that should be faster for Photoshop than my desktop, which is Vista 64/Intel6600 and about 2.5yrs old. I was wondering if I could use laptop as primary machine running its own screen and also my ACD 23" via display port-DVI link, so that images on one and toolbars/palettes on the other? Also, is there some way I could take advantage of the desktops internal HDDs (2x640GB in RAID 0) which is the one area it has an advantage over laptop's 500GB HDD?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: Linking laptop and desktop
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:39 pm »

Just plug the 23" display into the laptop.  Windows will recognize the additional display (Right Click your desktop & select Display Resolution).

The only way you'll be able to access the drives in your desktop is via a network share.

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »

Thanks, but how do I create a LAN for my desktop and laptop - ethernet cable or do I need a router/hub to do that?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »

Are both machines able to access the internet?  If so, then they are already networked.  Windows 7 has a great "homegroup" networking wizard - allowing you to share your docs folder.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449416(WS.10).aspx

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:59 am »

Thanks, but not sure whether this would work when one is Win 7 and the other is Vista.

Pete_G

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:40:48 am »

Thanks, but not sure whether this would work when one is Win 7 and the other is Vista.

I can't see why this would be the case. Another simple way of connecting the computers would be to plug them together using a single ethernet cable, it used to be that you needed a "crossover" cable to directly link two machines, but the newer controllers don't need that now.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:01:19 pm »

Nigel, sorry for the presumption - it's still possible to share files between Vista and Win 7:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-do-i-make-windows-7-homegroup-content-accessible-to-vista-and-xp/1910

NigelC

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 03:57:22 am »

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up