Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide Gamut Monitor + RAW = All OK. Wide Gamut +JPG = unpredictable red-shift.  (Read 6208 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures

Perplexed and can't find my way out of this one.  I'm seeing a regular shift to red when editing JPGs and using my PA271W

Hardware:
. Mac PowerBook Pro, 13" (late 2009, 2.26 GHz dual core, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M w. 256 MB VRAM)
. NEC PA271W
. NEC 2490WUXi2 (home office -- I use this or the 271, but not both, in a dual-monitor set-up with my laptop)
. ColorMunki Photo

Software (all completely up-to-date):
. OS 10.6.7
. Aperture 3.1.2
. Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 x64
. Safari 5.0.5
. SpectraView II 1.1.07

I shoot only RAW.  I work on both RAW and JPG (and other formats).  My RAW workflow with both the 2490 and the 271 is completely color-controlled, though at times using the 271 I get over-saturated colors in Safari (at times I don't -- can't determine why).

It is when I edit JPGs that I get completely baffled.  Sometimes, I have no trouble.  Sometimes I get either a stronger-than-usual saturation; often I get a shift-to-red, particularly in skin tones.  Again, I cannot figure out what triggers this.  Once the problem occurs, rebooting does not clear it.  Neither does changing the monitor profile (using Spectraview II).  It is likely this is a per-image issue, but because of the way Aperture creates Version on-the-fly, I have trouble confirming this.  Opening exported JPGs shows the same shift.

I had thought that using an RGB profile on the 271 stopped the red-shift -- but then I started to happen again.  I have tried both Adobe RGB and sRGB profiles.  When editing RAW I use a profile with "Color Gamut" set to "Native (full)".  The only customization of the SpectraView targets I have done is to lower the luminance (I generally work at 85 cd/m^2).

My sense is that this is a common and simple condition caused by my ignorance.  Any help is most appreciated.

Kirby.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures

Bump?

Might I elicit a response if posted in LuLa's Colour Management forum?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Safari is color managed to a degree. If it finds an untagged document, it assumes the data is in the display color space so your images really should be converted to sRGB and embedded with the same. Note however that Flash galleries, all bets are off depending on the product that made the gallery and the version of Flash. In such a case, the images, even in sRGB and tagged with sRGB will look incorrect on a wide gamut display. HTML, should be fine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up