Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to easily send changes made in Bridge to a client using LR3?  (Read 3164 times)

rawedits

Hi all,

I need some help with this one.  I'm trying to setup a business and I need a solution or maybe an answer to my question.

I have a client that will be sending me 1000+ RAW files. I'm going to be making some basic adjustments to those RAW files (exposure, contrast etc). I then want to send him the changes through the FTP site which he usually used to upload the files. 

He uses Lightroom3 and I use Adobe Bridge.

If I take the XMP files associated with those RAW files, upload it to the FTP will he then be able to download them and apply the changes to his original RAW files?
I would rather not send the original RAW files back because that is bandwidth intensive and I want to make it as easy as possible for the client.

If that is possible what are the steps he needs to go through to import and apply the changes?
If that's not possible then what are my options?

Sorry, I don't use LR3.

Thanks for the help!

smahn

Re: How to easily send changes made in Bridge to a client using LR3?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:48:38 am »

I'd be interested to hear the smart way to do it, but a bandwidth intensive way would be to make your changes and convert to DNG, then send the DNG's with the changes contained within.

Less prone to user error in my mind, but lets see what the others say.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:13:59 am »

Because you've only got Bridge, all you can do is send the xmp files. On his side, he will have to put them back in the same folder (or folders if you're unlucky) as the raw files, then in LR he'll go Metadata > Read Metadata from Files. That will overwrite any metadata or adjustments in his catalogue with the work you've sent.

If you did have LR, you would select those images in your catalogue, and do a File > Export as Catalog - you wouldn't need to tick the options for previews or negatives (originals). This creates a single file (lrcat extension) which you can zip and email so it's even smaller. He would just do a File > Import from Catalog to bring your work into his catalogue.

Sending DNGs is overkill (bandwidth and file duplication) but would work.

John

rawedits

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:33 am »

Thanks John!
So it is possible for me to send the xmp files and allow him to apply the changes!  ;D

I had contacted the Adobe support and two people send that sending xmp files would not do what I need.

Thanks! You are an absolute lifesaver.

Costas

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:23:14 pm »

..... I had contacted the Adobe support and two people send that sending xmp files would not do what I need.

That may well be the case if some of the editing changes are stored in the metadata instead of the .xmp files; that certainly happens with Lightroom which stores some changes in the catalogue only and not the .xmp files. You will have to experiment or ask Adobe which changes are not stored in the .xmp files.

Costas

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

Also have a look in this current active thread, similar issues - might help
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=54439.0

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:41:07 pm »

That may well be the case if some of the editing changes are stored in the metadata instead of the .xmp files; that certainly happens with Lightroom which stores some changes in the catalogue only and not the .xmp files. You will have to experiment or ask Adobe which changes are not stored in the .xmp files.
In this case the original poster is editing in Bridge/ACR, so all the data is in the xmp sidecars.

I often wonder why people ever bother with support - other users often have far better product knowledge and experience.

John
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:46:08 pm by johnbeardy »

rawedits

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:08:20 pm »

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

So I enlisted the help of a friend that has LR3. He sent me the RAW file, I edited and ensured that under the ACR settings that the changes are being written to the XMP sidecar.
I sent him the XMP file but he said that it didn't work :(

He said that when he went to the Metadata>Read Metadata From Files it just reverted the image to it's original unedited state.
This is what he said:

I did put in the folder, and clicked "Metadata> Read Metadata from Files, but all that happened was the slight tweaks I did to original got erased

Suggestions?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »

Then either he didn't put your xmp file in the same folder as the original, or when you saved the xmp file you hadn't any adjustments on it.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:28:22 pm »

Why don't you just install LR3 on your machine and go through the workflow?

rawedits

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:51:28 pm »

John,

Thanks for your patience.  I downloaded a trial copy of LR3 and tried it myself. 
It worked.
Yay :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 05:10:49 pm »

You might try using Lightroom instead of Bridge - it's got many advantages.

rawedits

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:04 am »

John, I totally agree with you but I have a pretty good workflow going on with Bridge. I use a program that puts two toolbars on the Bridge program and allows me to access the ACR sliders from within Bridge.  On top of that I've programmed a gamepad to adjust the settings on that slider.

It's a pretty good setup since it means I don't have to move my hand away from my gamepad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up