Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: to dark on ipf 8300  (Read 7422 times)

Jozef Zajaz

to dark on ipf 8300
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:30:25 am »

Hi!

I'm currently printin a picture for a model I shot a couple of days ago. The girl/model has black shorts i can clearly se all the details in her shorts on my screen (eizo calibrated). But on the print they come out to much contrast/black.

Im currently using epson premium luster 260gsm  24"(got a roll from a sell super cheap 30$).

I'm printing it in 300 pixels per inc.

Settings in the print plugin in is mediatyp - premium semi-glossy paper
High accuracy 600ppi
Highest daation 16bit
Printmod: Highest
Output profile:  canon ipf semi-glossy photo paper cnn839EA.icc
mathing method relative colorimetric
iccs conversion os standard CMM

aaronchan

Re: to dark on ipf 8300
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:53 am »

you would need a proper profile for your paper and printer.
otherwise, you can only go by your eye and exp. to adj. the contrast and black in photoshop before you make your print

Or I would suggest you use some other paper which their brand website has already provide a good canned profile for your printer.
For example, Ilford Galeria Smooth Pearl would be a very good sub. for Luster 260.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:32:44 am »

Try HW Satin Photo Paper linearization and profile, and use "Perceptual" rendering intent. To my eye Canon HW Satin aka Glacier is more similar to Epson Luster. BTW it's a very nice and reasonably priced paper - actually my preferred choice.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:58:51 am »

Try HW Satin Photo Paper linearization and profile, and use "Perceptual" rendering intent. To my eye Canon HW Satin aka Glacier is more similar to Epson Luster. BTW it's a very nice and reasonably priced paper - actually my preferred choice.

Hi! So I should change in both the printer menu and in the plugin? Do i need to do a recalibration when i change to canon hw satin?

I printed a new set now with 32bit photoshop and used relative colorimetric and the adobe cmm , the gamut was alot better now.

Whats the diffrent between perceptual and relative colorimetric?

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:02:56 am »

Hi! So I should change in both the printer menu and in the plugin? Do i need to do a recalibration when i change to canon hw satin?

I printed a new set now with 32bit photoshop and used relative colorimetric and the adobe cmm , the gamut was alot better now.

Cant find the HW satin photo paper profile in the plugin?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:23:50 am »

Plug-in takes control of the printer, so no matter what's set in a menu it will print with the plug-in setting, so it doesn't really matter. You only make calibration once, usually right after the installation of the printer, on Heavy Coated paper that's added - it works automatically with all paper settings. By any chance - don't try to calibrate the printer on non-genuine paper.

Perceptual rendering intent adjusts the image appearance differences, considering the viewing condition of input and output color spaces, so it may give better results when printing images.

Cant find the HW satin photo paper profile in the plugin?
Use Media Configuration Tool, "Add Geniuine Paper"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:26:27 am by Czornyj »

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:51:54 am »

Plug-in takes control of the printer, so no matter what's set in a menu it will print with the plug-in setting, so it doesn't really matter. You only make calibration once, usually right after the installation of the printer, on Heavy Coated paper that's added - it works automatically with all paper settings. By any chance - don't try to calibrate the printer on non-genuine paper.

Perceptual rendering intent adjusts the image appearance differences, considering the viewing condition of input and output color spaces, so it may give better results when printing images.
Use Media Configuration Tool, "Add Geniuine Paper"

Okej cool. I calibrated the printer with the luster paper - not good? But it is a demo printer so it has been calibrated before.

So media config tool - add genuine paper  i will find the HW profile?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:48:59 am »

Okej cool. I calibrated the printer with the luster paper - not good? But it is a demo printer so it has been calibrated before.

So media config tool - add genuine paper  i will find the HW profile?

You should use some genuine media to calibrate the printer - Epson paper may be different than the genuine paper you've chosen in menu, so the calibration may be inaccurate. In plug-in go to Main>Advanced Settings>Calibration Value> and choose Disregard Value to turn it off.

In Media Configuration Tool you'll find setting for HW Satin Photo, that can be installed in Plug-in and printer menu. The ICC profile for HW Satin should be installed in system folder, if there's no such a profile go to software.canon-europe.com and download and install the latest ICC profile archive.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:00:13 am »

In addition to all the comments about profiles people have made, chances are your monitor is too bright. See my blog entry on the subject: http://www.danecreekfolios.com/blog/2010/2/17/monitor-brightness-and-dark-prints.html. Or a recent article about it from Luminous Landscape: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »

You should use some genuine media to calibrate the printer - Epson paper may be different than the genuine paper you've chosen in menu, so the calibration may be inaccurate. In plug-in go to Main>Advanced Settings>Calibration Value> and choose Disregard Value to turn it off.

In Media Configuration Tool you'll find setting for HW Satin Photo, that can be installed in Plug-in and printer menu. The ICC profile for HW Satin should be installed in system folder, if there's no such a profile go to software.canon-europe.com and download and install the latest ICC profile archive.

So I should buy some canon paper just to calibrate?

neile

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »

Your 8300 came with a roll of Canon paper specifically for initial printer calibration. Note that it is not, in fact, a requirement to use Canon paper for this process, but it makes it much simpler because you can pick exactly the right media type from the menu.

Also note that the initial printer calibration just gets the printer to a repeatable starting state. It is *not* paper profiling, and I highly doubt it will fix your "prints too dark" issue. If your prints are spitting out too dark, my vote is that it's your monitor being too bright.

There's an easy way for me to tell, by the way. Post a JPEG of one of the images you tried to print that came out too dark. A quick look at the histogram will be enough to know if the image is, in fact, too dark and needs to be brightened (see http://www.danecreekfolios.com/blog/2010/5/10/monitor-brightness-and-dark-prints-part-2.html for example histograms).

neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »

I'm currently printin a picture for a model I shot a couple of days ago. The girl/model has black shorts i can clearly se all the details in her shorts on my screen (eizo calibrated). But on the print they come out to much contrast/black.

Just this image or all such images? And when you say you calibrated the display, do you know if this is done with the print in mind? Again, if all prints are dark, no matter how or where you view them, its not a display issue. But its totally possible the display is calibrated such it doesn’t match the prints. You need to figure out if the issue is with the file itself, how the file is being previewed or how the file is being output (or a little of all three).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »

Just this image or all such images? And when you say you calibrated the display, do you know if this is done with the print in mind? Again, if all prints are dark, no matter how or where you view them, its not a display issue. But its totally possible the display is calibrated such it doesn’t match the prints. You need to figure out if the issue is with the file itself, how the file is being previewed or how the file is being output (or a little of all three).

Okej thank you i will look into it.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:43 pm »

In media config tool i went to "add genuine paper" found hw satin photo paper. Then clicked ADD, then it want m to find a *.amf or *.med but in the latest icc profile archive i downloaded there are only .icc profiles?

But i can find HW photo satin paper in the media type section in the print plugin but there is no profile.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:12:25 pm »

In media config tool i went to "add genuine paper" found hw satin photo paper. Then clicked ADD, then it want m to find a *.amf or *.med but in the latest icc profile archive i downloaded there are only .icc profiles?

But i can find HW photo satin paper in the media type section in the print plugin but there is no profile.

Media configuration Tool needs paper calibration data to update plug-in and printer menu - if there's no data file installed, download it from software.canon-europe.com (Media Information File)

As for .icc profiles - just download and install them, to make them available in "Output Profile" bar of Print Plug-in

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:12 pm »

Media configuration Tool needs paper calibration data to update plug-in and printer menu - if there's no data file installed, download it from software.canon-europe.com (Media Information File)

As for .icc profiles - just download and install them, to make them available in "Output Profile" bar of Print Plug-in

Okej figured it out. Thanks!

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »

In addition to all the comments about profiles people have made, chances are your monitor is too bright. See my blog entry on the subject: http://www.danecreekfolios.com/blog/2010/2/17/monitor-brightness-and-dark-prints.html. Or a recent article about it from Luminous Landscape: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml.

Neil

Here is a jpeg of the file im printing. The black area is her shorts.

I got the best result with 32bit photoshop plugin and adobe cmm

What is the diffrence using os cmm in the 64bit photoshop plugin?

http://www.dkj.se/temp/darkimage.jpg

neile

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »

I think you are making your life far too complicated at this point by worring about 64 vs. 32-bit, CMM vs OS, etc.

It's difficult to tell without seeing your test print in person, but personally I think your problem is with the image itself. I loaded it into Lightroom and looked at the histogram and would argue that the image is a full stop underexposed to begin with. By the time it gets to paper (which isn't backlit) the black areas look crunched up. Try lightening it by 1 stop (in Lightroom this is just +1 on the exposure slider), re-print, and see if you are happier.

Neil
Neil Enns

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 05:15:44 pm »

I think you are making your life far too complicated at this point by worring about 64 vs. 32-bit, CMM vs OS, etc.

It's difficult to tell without seeing your test print in person, but personally I think your problem is with the image itself. I loaded it into Lightroom and looked at the histogram and would argue that the image is a full stop underexposed to begin with. By the time it gets to paper (which isn't backlit) the black areas look crunched up. Try lightening it by 1 stop (in Lightroom this is just +1 on the exposure slider), re-print, and see if you are happier.

Neil

This is not the only this print that it is dark. Before i printed it i popped the exposure about 1/2 a stop.

And pulling this a full stop would make it to bright. I'm looking over if my screen is to bright atm but im pretty sure it isnt.

But lets see :)

32bit plugin + adobe cmm gave me more gamut though.

neile

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »

This is not the only this print that it is dark. Before i printed it i popped the exposure about 1/2 a stop.

Yeah, my guess is all your images are too dark. I see this problem constantly with clients. But... I've said it about 50 times already on this thread so I'll shut up now. :) Let us know how the updated test prints go.

Neil
Neil Enns
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up