Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loggers  (Read 2253 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Loggers
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:02 am »

I have tried something new here and would like your feedback.
Thanks

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

Re: Loggers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:46:10 am »

I am not sure about these. Is the grittiness deliberate post processing or the way you captured them? The third one would have been better if the contrast on the machine matched the contrast of the logs because - imo - the machine is the focal point. Are they low res images? Still scratching my head about these, hope there aren't any skelfs. ;)

degrub

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:59:06 am »

Are you trying to send a message about drought and forest destruction  with the "dust" ?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »

Still scratching my head about these, hope there aren't any skelfs. ;)
Stamper, that you for introducing me to a new word. I shall now look hard for an opportunity to use it!

Jeremy

William Walker

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 12:45:21 pm »

Is the grittiness deliberate post processing or the way you captured them?

hope there aren't any skelfs. ;)

Hey Stamper

The "new" thing I was trying is "Silver Effex Pro", so that answers the post-processing question!

It just seemed to me that the pictures were transformed (by the options in the software) into what the scene felt like, dusty, chaotic, even a bit frenzied, that guy was really operating!

Skelfs??? Something you find in your hair when you scratch??? I'll have to wait for Jeremy to use it to learn a bit more.

Are you trying to send a message about drought and forest destruction  with the "dust" ?

I must confess that was not a message I had thought of...I was/am impressed by the way the software took me to a place I never would have managed on my own to create the feeling described above.

Is that cheating when the software claims whatever credit there may be?

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »

Stamper, that you for introducing me to a new word. I shall now look hard for an opportunity to use it!

Jeremy

In Scotland - I don't know about anywhere else - it is quite common when you see someone scratching their head to say "watch out for the skelfs" Your are inferring they have a wooden head. A skelf is a slither of wood. Jeremy do you scratch your head often? ;)

stamper

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:00:14 pm »

Hey Stamper

The "new" thing I was trying is "Silver Effex Pro", so that answers the post-processing question!

It just seemed to me that the pictures were transformed (by the options in the software) into what the scene felt like, dusty, chaotic, even a bit frenzied, that guy was really operating!

Skelfs??? Something you find in your hair when you scratch??? I'll have to wait for Jeremy to use it to learn a bit more.

I must confess that was not a message I had thought of...I was/am impressed by the way the software took me to a place I never would have managed on my own to create the feeling described above.

Is that cheating when the software claims whatever credit there may be?

William

I have Silver Efex Pro. A lot depends on how the original images looked like. The program isn't a panacea for poor images. If this is the effect you are producing - deliberately - then I think you make have a bit to learn? The pre sets are  - imo - very good but you can obviously render your own. I used the program to render this image last week. It is similar to an image I posted on the forum a few months back. Keep trying :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:02:12 pm by stamper »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »

Hello William. I almost fell off my chair when I saw these photos. I recently moved to another part of my province that has a lot of forestry activity and just last night I sat for about an hour watching one of these Bell machines- a popular nickname for them is "FunkyBell"- and went to bed thinking of compositions and how to shoot the damn thing milling about in my head. And here you post pictures of the machine..

On a side note, I have a mate who runs a fleet of these who I called while watching the operator stamping and loading logs since I was astounded by the skill shown by the operator. My mate then told me if the back wheel isn't in the air three quarters of the time while loading the operator is still learning to use the machine. Some useless information I guess.

William Walker

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »

My mate then told me if the back wheel isn't in the air three quarters of the time while loading the operator is still learning to use the machine. Some useless information I guess.

I've just been through all the shots I took, none with the back wheel in the air though. Someone who was with me did mention something about it being in the air - he certainly looked like he knew what he was doing, amazing stuff.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 03:32:43 am »

In Scotland - I don't know about anywhere else - it is quite common when you see someone scratching their head to say "watch out for the skelfs" Your are inferring they have a wooden head. A skelf is a slither of wood. Jeremy do you scratch your head often? ;)
Quite a lot, yes, in between sessions of banging it against brick walls. I shall run the expression by some Scotland-resident friends when they visit next weekend.

Jeremy

(By the way, I meant "thank you", of course.)

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 03:40:11 am »

Those things can commonly be found on firewood; they lodge themselves, painfully, under your fingernails. Best reason in the world to avoid gardening, an associated peril.

Rob C

Wot, no kilt?
Pages: [1]   Go Up