Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone making a living with landscapes?  (Read 25291 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Anyone making a living with landscapes?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 08:37:32 am »

Thanks for the update, hope things continue working out for you!

John MacLean

• John MacLean Photography
Re: Anyone making a living with landscapes?
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »

Steve Jobs had the same philosophy!

Be careful of those notecards and small prints.  Yes, they sell easily.  But they usually give a rather poor return on time invested. I think most artists seriously underestimate the time they put in on those things.

And even worse, within the same venue they can both compete with and implicitly devalue high end framed versions of the same images.  Suppose you sell a framed piece for $500, and smaller matted prints for $50.  You need to sell 10 prints to equal one framed sale.  I think that usually at least one of those ten sales would be to somebody who might have bought the more expensive piece, but chose to buy the print to sort of defuse their acquisitive urgings.  You lose.  Or a potential high end client sees many cheap copies of an image floating about.  Lose again.

Just a theory, I but did notice that when I stopped selling cards and prints at art fairs, my sales of larger pieces went way up.  And getting view-blocking, space-sapping clumps of rummaging bodies out of one's booth has other advantages.  It's really just a bad idea to look too much like the Dollar Store.  Have also noticed that photographers who sell $20 matted 8x10's spend a lot of time with lowball clients that they should really be directing at potential high end buyers.

The balance would depend on venue, of course.  But IMHO the strange love affair between many artists and cheap cards and prints is counterproductive in most cases.  I think it often traces back to a basic lack of confidence.  Spend the time making a product with a better return on time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up