Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: charleston, SC area  (Read 3022 times)

philipkenney

charleston, SC area
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:35 am »

I'm going to Charleston next week and will have some time to search for good landscapes. Anyone have suggestions for that area? Never been!

Lowcountry

Re: charleston, SC area
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:57:00 pm »

I like to shoot Folly Beach and Sullivan's Island at sunrise. You also have the " Angel Oak " tree on John's Island. Then there is Magnolia Gardens. Be ready for the heat and humidity.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:16:36 am »

Be ready for the heat and humidity.

A cautionary note, be careful taking your camera from an air conditioned hotel room or car out into very hot and humid conditions.  It can cause condensation every place you don't want it, electronics, lenses, viewfinders, mirrors, etc. 

philipkenney

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:57:40 am »

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually on the isle of palms and I'm hoping to find a good spot for a sunrise shot tomorrow. I definitely want to see angel tree as well. Since I'm here doing a family lifestyle session I won't have too much free time to look around so I'll have to utilize my time well. Thanks for the tips on the weather as well. I'm from memphis which is the same climate so our cameras are use to it. But I'll be extra cautious. Thanks!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:49 pm »

Charleston architecture is wonderful, well worth the trip all by itself.  Also some very interesting Civil War era ruins and restorations more out in the surrounding areas.

One of my early professional assignments was shooting Charlseton architecture.  What made it really hard was that while temperatures were hovering over 90F, humidity was limiting visibility to maybe 40 feet.  Which made for some nice misty shots of the ruins.  But I thought I was going to die.  I was literally worried about getting too far from the air conditioned car, which is all that saved me!  Of course I was disadvantaged by a lifetime of acclimatization to 20% humidity.  But you gotta think about those things, climate can hammer you sometimes.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:37:39 pm »

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually on the isle of palms and I'm hoping to find a good spot for a sunrise shot tomorrow.

Try the maritime forest/dunes/beach down near Ft Moultrie.   The sun is pretty far north this time of year (tomorrow is the solstice, no?), it will be almost parallel to the beach at Ft. Moultrie.  Shooting due east will give you sidelight from a NE sun. 

philipkenney

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:22:26 am »

I actually went out this morning for a sunrise shoot. Went to Folly Beach. Found a very interesting dead tree coming out of the beach. The weather was interesting. All week it has been bright sunny. Today, no sunrise because of overcast, but got a really interesting red sun in an overcast sky that was striking. Coupled with this haunting looking tree, I think I got some unique images. Hopefully I'll get to the images when I get back home and I'll post some.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 02:36:58 pm »

Phil, I live in Folly Beach. I've been shooting that tree for ten years. This is the first time, however, that the roots have been exposed. I suspect that one of these days it will disappear into the ocean. The tree used to be fifty, sometimes a hundred feet inland depending on dune shift. Mother Nature at work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up