Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need to upgrade CPU  (Read 8093 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
need to upgrade CPU
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:38:03 am »

My current pc with Vista 64 Bit installed has:
Antec P180 aluminum mid-tower case
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E6600
4 gbs RAM
Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 550W power supply
5 Hard Drives
a)   150GB Raptor with OS and programs
b)   1 TB caviar black drive for data
c)   1 TB caviar black drive to backup data (also have an external HD)
d)   320 gb WD drive I use as a scratch drive/LR catalogue
e)   37 gb Raptor from previous build with XP installed

I am looking to improve the performance of my machine and figure it would benefit most by having a better CPU. Not looking to upgrade to Windows 7 or a new motherboard. I am a photo-enthusiast/hobbyist, not a pro doing huge batch processes. I prefer to process each photo separately.

I don't know much about PC components but enough to know that new technology isn't always compatible with old. What is the best CPU that my Intel D975XBX2 motherboard will support?

Any other comments/criticisms of my setup are welcome. I thank you in advance for your response!

Sheldon N

Re: need to upgrade CPU
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:39:17 am »

I'd look at this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

It's older technology and not as good as the newer i7 processors despite being the same price, but it's compatible with your current motherboard. I've got one in my current machine, but I've also overclocked it to 3.6GHz.   Now is also a good time to add more RAM to your system, that will help out noticeably if you go to 8GB.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Philmar

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:35:23 pm »

Thanks Sheldon....I was hoping the i7 would be compatible - maybe I WILL upgrade the motherboard then. Kinda silly to spend that much money for previous generation stuff.

Actually I think I already DO have 8 gbs. I think it was 4 gbs when I had XP and I increased it to 8 gbs -  which was the reason for going to Vista 64.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:32:25 pm by Philmar »

AvidVisionary

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:25:44 am »

If you want to improve your work then you need a dedicated GPU not a games graphics card. A CPU can only go so far. You need the nvidia fx quadro series. It blasts through photoshop, premier pro and after effects.

Philmar

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:41 am »

Thanks for your response AV. I was under the impression that dedicated GPU was more of benefit for 3D apps - not digital photography.

I know that Photoshop can take advantage of the vid card's OpenGL (if enabled in preferences). Is Lhis what you are refering to?

Does LR also take advantage of the vid card OpenGL ??

Philmar

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:26 am »

I found the answer to my previous question.

Q. Are Camera Raw or Photoshop Lightroom GPU accelerated?
A. No.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html
I doubt a better vid card will have much effect with my workflow (single 30D RAWs processed one at a time in LR)

I guess I should have given more information about what I use my PC for - mainly processing single Canon 30D RAWs one at a time with LR with final editing in CS4. I don't do batch processing.
Probably the biggest strain on the system is when I am importing a folder of 400+ shots in to LR.

I was looking to improve the time it takes to render a RAW file - it might take 5-10 seconds sometimes. No big deal. I can live with it but I thought maybe a faster CPU would cut that down.

It looks like it would but the cost to buy older generation CPU when much better ones exist looks like it would be a silly purchase. I'll live with what I have and upgrade everything when I build a new PC in a year or so (or whenever they release a 7D markII).

Maybe I'll teach myself how to do moderate safe overclocking of the CPU.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:13:20 am by Philmar »

AvidVisionary

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:07:35 pm »

Over clocking shortens the lifespan of the CPU. I would not recommend it. That link you posted has conflicting information. It says;

Photoshop CS5 and CS4 leverage the video adapter's chip (the graphics processing unit, or GPU) instead of the computer's main chip (CPU) to speed some functions. Photoshop accesses and uses the GPU when the GPU:

supports OpenGL, a software and hardware standard that accelerates video processing when working with large or complex images, including 3D.

has at least 256 MB of RAM.

has a display driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0, which the GPU uses to perform rendering effects.

But then it says;

Q. Are Camera Raw or Photoshop Lightroom GPU accelerated?
A. No.

I think what they mean is if you want to take full advantage of the GPU and CS5 packages then you will need Win7 x64 and a dedicated GPU. I have tried it before. My previous card, a games GPU, was struggling to keep up and photoshop was slow and had a 2 seconds response time. I have a Nvidia FX quadro and I can see the difference.

AvidVisionary

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

Philmar

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:53 am »

Over clocking shortens the lifespan of the CPU. I would not recommend it.
Thanks, I realize that. I'll be doing a new build in a year so there's no need to extend it's life too much beyond that. I plan to upgrade from my Canon 30D to the next 7D. When the 7D mark II comes out I will upgrade the pc as well.

I think what they mean is if you want to take full advantage of the GPU and CS5 packages then you will need Win7 x64 and a dedicated GPU. I have tried it before. My previous card, a games GPU, was struggling to keep up and photoshop was slow and had a 2 seconds response time. I have a Nvidia FX quadro and I can see the difference. 

That's not what I interpteted. CS4 and CS5 are different programs than Camera Raw (a plug in) and Lightroom. I think PS takes advantage of the vid card's GPU (if the vid card supports OpenGL ect.) and that LR and ACR do not.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:28 pm »

I run pretty much the same setup, but do overclock a bit, and have 8GB ram and run raid arrays rather than single drives.

You are already pretty much maxed out and will need an all new system for noticeably gains.  An i7, 12GB RAM and new motherboard is what you need.  I highly suggest you use either SSDs or fast discs and raid0 arrays, as the disk system very quickly becomes the bottleneck working in PS for things such as filters and actions.  

The GPU does not help with speed of operation, it just makes things smoother.  It's nice, I happen to use a good video card anyway so I have it.  i7's have built in video that supports it anyway.

Philmar

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:02 pm »

I just came across this paper on the Lightroom site

Optimize performance | Lightroom
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400808.html

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:25 pm »

Fwiw were you to replace the boot drive (looks like it’s the 10K Raptor) with the right ssd drive you would see a pretty notable performance gain. You could then use the Raptor as the drive for the OS page file and/or it as the drive where bridge/photoshop/other programs cache data.

It might be possible to use ghost or similar for the boot drive transplant to a SSD drive, i haven't tried that yet...

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:29:57 pm »

If you want to improve your work then you need a dedicated GPU not a games graphics card. A CPU can only go so far. You need the nvidia fx quadro series. It blasts through photoshop, premier pro and after effects.

He definitely doesn't "need" a faster GPU as it has very limited impact on PS/LR performance. Every single gaming GPU far exceeds the minimum specs you yourself quote, so there's no need for a "dedicated GPU" (whatever that means). Quadro is designed for CAD as far as I know, not for PS - very different beasts.

There's much more bang for buck in upgrading CPU, memory and/or HDD. Looking at the OP's specs, the biggest ROI is probably with an SSD or a striped RAID array for OS and swap drive, or more memory if it's really only 4 gigs.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »

PS needs the fastest CPU possible with the highest RAM possible, and a dedicated hard disk running at 7,200rpm. A GPU is only for a small number of effects that you might not use anyway. The most important thing is memory. For heavy files, I recommend 24GB RAM and if that ups your budget, you can make do with an i5 or even an i3 processor. You won't suffer unduly.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:16 am »

The most important thing is memory. For heavy files, I recommend 24GB RAM and if that ups your budget, you can make do with an i5 or even an i3 processor. You won't suffer unduly.

That's relative, and depends on his current setup. If he upgrades to i5 or i7, he will need to buy a new mobo, possibly new memory and GPU as they might not be compatible with the CPU/mobo. That's why I said new HDD/SSD and/or more memory is probably best ROI.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »

Here's a link to the Intel page that lists all the CPUs that will work with your mobo. About your only option is to upgrade to a quad core CPU since at 2.4GHz now you are near the top of the speed range for the Core 2 Duo CPUs.

http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=d975xbx2

I have the Q6600 in my system, which uses an Intel DG43NB motherboard. When doing DNG conversion from RW2 (16MP image) it takes about 2 to 3 seconds per image. To do 300 would take an estimated 12 minutes, though that seems high. Frequently I come back with a hundred shots or so and set them running in Adobe DNG converter. It takes a while, but no more than the time takes to go check the mail or a small task, and you can work on other things on the computer at the same time.

If it is taking the system a really long time to process each DNG, you should see a good improvement. Replacing the CPU is a lot easier than replacing the mobo and you won't have any issues with Microsoft OS licensing.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

kiefers

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 11:49:45 am »

I know you have already stated that you have no plans to upgrade to a windows 7 here but I think that should really be a step you have to make sooner than for comfort.  As vista is just such a pain and with a newer hardware you are looking at, win7 will maximize that and make use of it better than vista will.  You might want to check the i7 line, but an i5 will do. Just be sure to get the one with a k on its model so that you can perform over clocking.

Vautour

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:28 pm »

Hi!

So, first off, as others have said, do not worry about the graphics card too much. LR doesn't benefit from one - at least not in the sense of computing effects or doing the exports - and in Vista MS disabled many graphics accelerations for the standard 2D interfaces. Reintroduced this in Windows 7. Still, Windows 7 is basically Vista version 1.5. Most speed enhancements from Win 7 have come to Vista through SP 1 and 2. Apart from that the UAC has been refined and you've got sseveral new features. But basically it's Vista, just more polished (which is why Windows 7 has the internal version number 6.1 and Vista has 6.0 (by the way, Win2k was 5.0 and XP 5.1).

Back to hardware. Basically your chipset should support the C2Q 9550, which is a pretty fast CPU. I do not know about the BIOS settings but it might only be that the CPU is not configured automatically and you need to enter the parameters manually. I had the 965er chipset with this CPU (your 975X is one step above that) and it was quite nice with LR3.
Changing only the CPU will keep you your Vista installation so in that regard it's the easiest way for getting more speed. Even easier is getting more RAM if you have less than 8GB (for proper CPU mounting (or better: for properly mounting the cooler) you need to take the mainboard out of your case. You do not need to do this with RAM.). I have a Pentax K10D and working in the development module on a set of about 400 pictures and applying diverse actions (noise reduction, lens profiles, exposure adjustments, cropping and so on) will usually eat somewhere between 3 to 5 GB RAM. Since my camera has a only a slightly higher resolution you should also be in that range. Remember most people answering here have usually 20+ MPixel caameras so they definitely feel the need for even more RAM.
Adding RAM was the biggest speed bump for me while actually working with my pictures (library and develop module). Going for the 9550 from a C2D 6400 (two cores at 2.1 GHz) mostly enhanced importing (I convert to DNG during import) and exporting the RAW files.

Now, the 9550 costs basically too much in my opinion but it might be your cheapest option if you already have 8GB. If not, well, then you might consider upgrading the whole set. DDR3-RAM is extremely affordable at the moment (here in Germany it's about 50€/8GB). You can get a decent mainboard with a good array of features (including USB 3.0) for about 100 - 120€. An i5 2400 is about 160€ and is roughly 40% faster than the 9550, sometimes even more than 50%. So basically for about 300€ you can get a state-of-the-art system. In Germany at the same retailer I looked up the above prices the 9550 is 309€ to give you some perspective. Of course this would mean reinstalling Vista (you might try to install the new mainboard drivers on your current system for Vista to find once you boot the new system but this might not always work as expected. A clean install would likely be more hasslefree). Oh, and if your optical drive still is IDE you might want to pay attention to the mainboard still coming with an IDE controller. Or buy a new SATA optical drive also.

Of course, the final option would be going the SSD way. This will speed up almost any task on your system (you won't see a difference in Word with a faster CPU but you will see Word opening almost instantly (depending on the SSD) with an SSD compared to even a fast HDD), especially loading times will be greatly decreased. This means your catalog will load much faster and also the previews should appear faster. Importing/exporting should also be faster but for your files probably not really (also see diglloyd). Working in the develop and library module is mostly dependant on the CPU. And since SSDs are still rathe expensive I doubt you will use them for anything different than the system drive (replacing your Raptor). So importing or exporting will mostly be as fast as it is now for you if you decide to only get a new SSD.
Oh, of course, I you have insufficient RAM and LR needs to use the pagefile than the SSD will be of help, yes. But buying more RAM is usually cheaper ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up