Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need PS CS4 after Updating to CS5?  (Read 2050 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Do I need PS CS4 after Updating to CS5?
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:15:14 am »

Quick question (and I think I know the answer).  I finally updated to CS5 yesterday but CS4 is still on my computer.  I know that CS4 is good for printing out profile targets but since I use the Adobe utility that's not a compelling reason to keep the program.  Is there any other reason or should I just go ahead and delete it from my computer?  (my reasoning is to delete but I would like some confirmation that I'm not overlooking anything important).

francois

Re: Do I need PS CS4 after Updating to CS5?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:18:49 am »

I've dumped CS4 when I installed CS5 and never missed it.
Francois

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:29:43 am »

Alan, I got rid of my CS4 after updating to CS5. I still haven't figured how to install my Noise Ninja, however. I'll probably have to email the Noise Ninja people for instructions. I really haven't been able to test some of the new features to see if the improvements are worthwhile. I only upgraded because CS4 refused to recognise my new printer! (A problem which Adobe acknowledged!)

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:07:44 pm »

Alan, I got rid of my CS4 after updating to CS5. I still haven't figured how to install my Noise Ninja, however. I'll probably have to email the Noise Ninja people for instructions. I really haven't been able to test some of the new features to see if the improvements are worthwhile. I only upgraded because CS4 refused to recognise my new printer! (A problem which Adobe acknowledged!)

Just go to NN website and download the latest version you need. I upgraded to win 7-64 and got that version and installed. Just need your code and your good to go.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:09 pm »

Maybe someone can help with the glitch that just appeared.  As noted, I updated to PS CS5.  I did delete the CS4 version that was on my computer but now LR doesn't see CS5 at all when I use the 'Edit In' command.  Yesterday it did with both versions on the computer.  Now all the PS commands are greyed out.  There is nothing in the preferences that I can see how to change this except to add PS as the external editor which seems foolish since LR is supposed to recognize it.  Am I missing a secret somewhere here?

Richowens

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »

Reinstall CS5. The uninstaller for CS4 dutifully removed the app path in the registry that points LR to Photoshop. Reinstalling CS5 will restore the app path.

Rich

Also on Adobe's site there is a KB article concerning this and a direct registry repair if you are comfortalee working with the registry.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401629.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:31:10 pm by Richowens »

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:27:30 pm »

Reinstall CS5. The uninstaller for CS4 dutifully removed the app path in the registry that points LR to Photoshop. Reinstalling CS5 will restore the app path.

Rich

Also on Adobe's site there is a KB article concerning this and a direct registry repair if you are comfortalee working with the registry.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401629.html
Yup, that's exactly what happens.  Reinstall solved it and I didn't have to fool around with the registry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up