Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After tornado  (Read 2834 times)

armand

• Photos
After tornado
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:15:23 am »

I got there 1 or 2 days after. Location: Springfield, MA

stamper

Re: After tornado
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:31 am »

These images are what I would call reportage shots. Giving people an idea of the devastation that happened. I don't think they are suitable for a critique with respect to their photographic merits? Others may differ. :-\

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:18:05 am »

These images are what I would call reportage shots. Giving people an idea of the devastation that happened. I don't think they are suitable for a critique with respect to their photographic merits? Others may differ. :-\

Why not? The photographs belong to a genre - reportage or documentary. You should be able to critique and discuss any work on the basis of how it succeeds (or otherwise) within its own genre.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

stamper

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:09:32 am »

John go ahead and give us your opinion on the merits of each of the images.  :) I don't think these are bad images in any way but I don't think they are suitable for critiquing. I will be pleasantly surprised if anyone can or will give an in-depth  analysis of them. ???

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:08:52 am »

I will be pleasantly surprised if anyone can or will give an in-depth  analysis of them

I'm going to be cruel to be kind, so forgive me, armand.

1 and 2 are just fallen trees and give no indication of the severity or otherwise of the tornado. There's no context. And they are not visually arresting. You're supposed to be telling a story here, not taking a few snapshots. Without the stop sign,4 is just a bunch of cut tree trunks. It could be anywhere - some guy's backyard wood pile even.  

The most potentially interesting image is the black and white, but it's a mess. I want to see the faces of the three seated people who seem distressed. You need to get closer for this kind of work. Show the faces, the trauma, the shock, the human condition.

The mistake most people make about reportage is that they think it's easy. It's damned difficult and very few can do it well. Just like 'street'.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:11:19 am by seamus finn »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:53 am »

Now I didn't think I have masterpieces in my hand but you could figure out that something bad happened there. I could get pictures of the entire thing (and I have a few) but I wanted to get more of the details of the damage. In nr 2 gives an idea of the damage, I can't think of many scenarios when you could have that mess.
Maybe I shouldn't have said they are after tornado, I'm curious if your opinion would differ.
Regarding the bw, that guy wasn't crying, I think he was just tired. It's more about selling a story that wasn't there :)

Here is another shot with more context

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:06 am »

John go ahead and give us your opinion on the merits of each of the images.

Seamus has done the job for me  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

stamper

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:00 am »

I was - partly - trying to avoid what Seamus said when I made my original post. Possibly what would have been better - if armand was interested - was to capture the storm damage with a video camera. A few ten second, or twenty second clips, would have done it more justice? :)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:04:41 am »

It's basically a waste of time. Tornados and a zillion oher natural disasters have been done to death, or to the nth degree, depending on your stance. What the hell can anyone here offer that holds a candle to the drama and horror of Japan, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Australia, etc. etc. so much more dramatic in motion and/or real time?

Stamper was right, as he often is.

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:38:51 am »

Rob, sooking up to me doesn't get you any brownie points. ;D 8)

stamper

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:48:36 am »

It's basically a waste of time. Tornados and a zillion oher natural disasters have been done to death, or to the nth degree, depending on your stance. What the hell can anyone here offer that holds a candle to the drama and horror of Japan, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Australia, etc. etc. so much more dramatic in motion and/or real time?

Unquote

It doesn't mean we shouldn't try? armand tried something that didn't - imo - quite come off. That shouldn't stop him trying again. If everything we shot had to be "better" than everyone else then we would soon give up trying. I have started taking an interest in video. I think it can complement stills. In some situations one will be better than the other.  :)

seamus finn

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:42:59 pm »

It doesn't mean we shouldn't try? armand tried something that didn't - imo - quite come off. That shouldn't stop him trying again

Definitely.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »

Okay, fine, no problem!

Continue banging your heads against walls, but don't cry if it hurts and you get nothing from it other than a bandage and the question best left unanswered: why?

Stamper, sook, me? Madre de Dios, with my record of unpopular views that would be a surprise!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up