Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on 12x13 in paper with 12x12 printable area?  (Read 2772 times)

nma

Printing on 12x13 in paper with 12x12 printable area?
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »

I would like advice on how to setup the lightroom 3 print app to print on 12x13 in paper. The printable area is 12x12 inches. This is an album page with prepunched holes on the inch that is outside the printable area. Among the questions I have are whether to use the sheet or rear feed? How to set the paper size? The printer is the Epson 3800. The list of paper sizes includes 12x12 inch. So, is it possible to select 12x12 paper size and insert the 12x13 in paper with the "holes" on the trailing edge so that the printer will treat the paper as 12x12?

Please give me your experience and if not that your intuition.

thanks

RFPhotography

Re: Printing on 12x13 in paper with 12x12 printable area?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:55:32 am »

In the Page Setup (lower left of the Print Module) you can set up the paper size.  The 3800 driver lets you select a custom paper size so you'd input 12x13.  On the first screen of the Epson driver toward the bottom of the screen are the Paper Settings.  On the right is a button labeled User Defined.  Click that then input the paper dimensions you want to use.  Back in the LR Print Module, you set up your margins in the Layout Panel (right side of the Print Module) to place the image where you want it on the paper.  If you want it pushed to one side to allow for binding or hole punching, you would move the slider for the appropriate margin (e.g., left side) so that the image printed to the right side of the page.

nma

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:46:30 am »

In the Page Setup (lower left of the Print Module) you can set up the paper size.  The 3800 driver lets you select a custom paper size so you'd input 12x13.  On the first screen of the Epson driver toward the bottom of the screen are the Paper Settings.  On the right is a button labeled User Defined.  Click that then input the paper dimensions you want to use.  Back in the LR Print Module, you set up your margins in the Layout Panel (right side of the Print Module) to place the image where you want it on the paper.  If you want it pushed to one side to allow for binding or hole punching, you would move the slider for the appropriate margin (e.g., left side) so that the image printed to the right side of the page.

Thank you for this detailed information. It works fine. Just one caveat. The definition of the new paper size must be done by invoking the driver from the Windows 7 control panel. It does not work directly from Lightroom.

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:03:22 am »

Works fine for me.  Win7 64 bit, LR 3.4.1.

aduke

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:17:07 pm »

Thank you for this detailed information. It works fine. Just one caveat. The definition of the new paper size must be done by invoking the driver from the Windows 7 control panel. It does not work directly from Lightroom.

Actually it does, but not as nicely as we would want. It seems that the new size is not available for selection until after you've closed the link to the driver. This means that you define a new size, close out the driver and LR page-setup window, and then pressed the page-setup button again. The new page-size should be available.

Alan

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:32:21 pm »

Again, it works for me.  When I input a user defined sheet size and click OK to back out of the driver, the display in the Print Module immediately changes and the paper size is correct.  And the Cell Size reflects the paper size less the set margins.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up