Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patch or Row measuring  (Read 1233 times)

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
Patch or Row measuring
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

Sorry gang ...

One more (I hope) question.   Using the i1iO table, am I liable to get more acurate results using patch reading or row reading?  If you use spot, do you or should I slect 2, 3, 4 or 5 samples?   I'm using 8mmx9mm patches by the way.   Opinions are welcome!

Configuration:
 -  i1Profiler  1.0
  - i1 Rev D
 -  i1iO Device
 - Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, 11.7TB Disk Space

Thanks!
Jeffrey

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Patch or Row measuring
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:31 pm »

Good question. I guess theoretically patch would be more accurate, especially with an i0 table, but wow ... takes so long.

I've found with larger patch sizes my results are really good with the table.  I personally would be more inclined to average two or three readings for accuracy rather than patch mode. (I see from another post you are having trouble with that so maybe you are thinking the same thing).

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, I believe I got the averaging idea from one of your other posts!     Yes it is quite slow for patches, especially with the 4096 patch charts.   (My beard was not grey when I started the last one!)    I figure that if I'm profiling only once every other month or so, then the longer time is a reasonable sacrifice for the accuracy.  Besides, I can always stretch canvas while waiting ...

Another thought that is related, if I increase the accuracy setting in the configuration file, I know it will slow the row read down, but might it be a happy compromise?

Thank you to you, Andy and the rest of the merry pirates on this forum for all the help.  It is greatly appreciated!

Jeffrey

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:38:12 am »

Time? What is this time you speak of? MuHaHaHa... Surely the i1 IO can't be any worse than the Spectroscan speed wise (good things come to those who wait :-) ).

I was curious about this as well so last month (I have a Spectroscan so no need for the IO) I painstakingly measured a 400 patch chart patch by patch... manually. I set the patches as large as they could go and used the individual alignment doohickey to make sure the head was precisely in the center of the patch. I actually did this twice and measured the ∆E. I then measured the same chart in strip mode (twice) and compared the results (patch to patch and strip to strip (not strip to patch, that would make no sense)). I was actually surprised... the ∆E on the patch read charts was double that of the strip read charts. I did go vehhhweee vehhhhweee swowy as I was scanning in the patches (oh... that was my attempt at Elmer Fudd) and the strip mode definitely trumped the patch mode. It very well could have been user error. If you guys care to take two measurements in strip mode and another two measurements in patch mode and send me the CGATS files I can run them through ColorThink Pro to see some specific results.

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up