Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 minimum print size  (Read 6726 times)

jrsforums

Epson 4900 minimum print size
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:06 pm »

I have been seriously looking at the 4900 (over current 3800).  One problem for me is the apparent minimum 8x10 print size for cut sheets. 

Minor point, but this would impact my ability to easily do greeting cards.

In looking at the 4900 User Guide, on page 74, it seems that the sheet size can be 'User Defined' to as small as 3.5x5.0 (or as large as 17.01x590.55)

Has anyone tested this?  If it is like the 3800 this is only for the main feed, not the back feed.

John

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson 4900 minimum print size
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:10:19 am »

Are you talking about 7x10 folded cards or something smaller?

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:35 am »

Are you talking about 7x10 folded cards or something smaller?

Yes....7x10....also 5.5x8.5

John
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:36:57 am by jrsforums »
John

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

I just tried printing a 7x10 folded card and the printer wouldn't take it.  I've set up a custom size but the printer displays a warning that it's the wrong size paper.  Any ideas?
Mike Guilbault

Bill Ellzey

• Bill Ellzey Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:39 pm »

If this topic is still alive let me know.  I can share some info on printing card stock that I learned from printing on the 4800 that applies to the 4900.  But I also have a question about printing 7x10 card stock (folds to 5x7) on the 4900 because of a change (from the 4800) in the range of the paper tray fence.  All I can think of to do is put in a spacer block between the fence and the paper stack to keep it pressed against the side of the tray.  Otherwise the roller misfeeds the paper.

jrsforums

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:09 am »

I would be interested in what info you have.

On the 7x10, while I could get it to feed, I decided to create a template (Qimage) to use 8.5x11 paper.  It had trim lines to cut it down to 7x10 (or any size you want to create).  You can pretty much do this for any size envelop you have.  Smaller sizes I "two-up".

The reason I liked this better is that the cards could then be created "full bleed"....that is, without any white borders needed.  I like the look on this much better.  Also, since the cutting is done after the printing, there is no "over spray" or loss of the edge of the image.

Folding without a crease is not a problem.  I usually fold the card before final cutting, which ensures all edges match up.

John
John

ucs308

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »

What paper were you using? I am curious about the weight.

I would be interested in what info you have.

On the 7x10, while I could get it to feed, I decided to create a template (Qimage) to use 8.5x11 paper.  It had trim lines to cut it down to 7x10 (or any size you want to create).  You can pretty much do this for any size envelop you have.  Smaller sizes I "two-up".

The reason I liked this better is that the cards could then be created "full bleed"....that is, without any white borders needed.  I like the look on this much better.  Also, since the cutting is done after the printing, there is no "over spray" or loss of the edge of the image.

Folding without a crease is not a problem.  I usually fold the card before final cutting, which ensures all edges match up.

John

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:59:43 pm »

I was mostly using Moab Kayenta.  Though I think you could use most any paper.  It really is dependent on how the paper folds.

If I was doing greeting cards, i.e. with messages inside, I would allow to dry overnight before running the batch through for the printing of the second side.

I have the template set up with a "signature plate" on the back of the card.  I also have a version which will pick up the title or comment (depending on which you use) for each image to print (where ever you want) on the card.  This is quite useful and nice, particularly if doing a batch with a variety of different images.

John
John

James Shetler

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:21 am »

Have you tried changing your orientation?  I think the problem is that you are trying to feed it in with a 7 inch width. Try rotating it so it is 10 inches wide (10x7).  This might mean that you will have to rotate all your images when you print but that should not be a problem.

I have a 4880 and it will not take the 7inch width either.

I believe this will work for you.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:35:55 am »

I tried that on mine and it worked fine. 
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up