Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Places to go in NYC  (Read 3379 times)

Harold

Places to go in NYC
« on: June 17, 2004, 05:44:21 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']To coin a phrase: "Everything is up to date in New York City." You will not have enough time there.  Start at The Battery and spend a day or two on the East Side. Same on the West Side.  Central Park, Googleheim, Metropolitan Museum, ---, spend a week just photographing hotels --- spend a week just photographing parks. Great city.  You will like.[/font]

dbarthel

Places to go in NYC
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 09:12:57 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Central Park, duh. Also the old fish market just below the Brooklin bridge. B&H for sure. Be sure your wife hold the CC   Rockefeller Center for some neat architecturals. Soho for funky doors and windows. Don't know if you have your hotel res, but last time we went Priceline was incredible - 3* Marriot, $120/nite on the weekend.[/font]

photodad

Places to go in NYC
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 05:30:45 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']We will soon be visiting Manhattan. Any suggestions of:

Great places from which to photograph the skyline

Bookstores with great collections of photo books

Museums with particularly good photography exhibits

Camera stores that are ideal for browsing

Other places of particular interest to photographers?

As one who is not particularly familiar with the city, any suggestions would be appreciated.[/font]

joedevico

• http://www.photographicdesigngroup.com
Places to go in NYC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 06:02:40 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Great places from which to photograph the skyline

Try taking the ferry to the Statue of Liberty - many photo ops from there of lower Manhatten - unfortunately missing the trade center. You cant really get many good skyline shots from inside the city. Also might want to check the circle line - you'll be limited to quick exposures, but you will travel around the entire island.

Bookstores with great collections of photo books

Not sure if they're any better than others, but the major chains all have "superstores" located on the island

Museums with particularly good photography exhibits

Often changing, and I agree with the prevous posters suggestions - check the net for exhibits that will be on display when you'll be in town.

Camera stores that are ideal for browsing

B&H - you haven't experienced shopping til your been there. Not superbly personal - both worth the visit just for the conveyor system.

Other places of particular interest to photographers?

Too numerous to mention. I can never get enough time to shoot in the city. I bring my kit to most of my gigs and spend time before and after just shooting the suroundings. There are millons of subjects everywhere.
 [/font]
Joe DeVico
the PhotoGraphic Design Group

camilla

Places to go in NYC
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 10:05:53 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']NYC
Too much to do and see but if you get organized, there are a thousand places to enjoy walking and look for what you would like to photograph. I don;t know what you are looking for so it's difficult to give suggestions but I will try.
I particularily like all the Chelsea area and the meatpacking district which is 14th street (fabulous cobblestone streets and even though some superstores have ruined part of the area, there are a lot of fab shots to be found) Great lunch at PASTIS around the corner from Meatpacking...or many other great eating places... you have the Intrepid with the last Concorde on it if you are so inclined... the best part of Chelsea besides the architecture are the funky people walking around. Times Square and the theatre area has its own appeal. I love, absolutely love the architecture on Broadway from about 72nd Street up through and after Columbia University (my alma mater). Riverside Drive and the beautiful old apartment buildings.. great great graffiti uptown if you dare to venture around upper Broadway near the Sloan Kettering Hospital. Harlem, a great place to explore and photograph.

Bookstore: I particularily enjoy three. Barnes and Noble on 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) and 21st street- near the photographers area of town so it is full, full of books on photography and art. Also the one near the Lincoln Center and the one on Union Square (park and 17th).

B and H. Most definitely. remember they close early on Fridays and are closed Saturdays but reopen on Sunday, all day. A lot of temptations.

Downtown, besides missing the WTC, you can still get good shots in Soho, Chinatown, Canal Street, and walk from Chinatown to the South Street Seaport where you can get some nice shots at sunset of the skyline. Also the World Financial Center area (across from the WTC) has its own seaport and sometimes you get Malcolm Forbes' yacht or the Sultan of Brunei or whatever. I really don't know what you like to photograph.

Even better....If you have a car or decide to venture a tiny bit, not too much, you can do it, cross the Brooklyn Bridge, foot, car, whatever, and go down to the River Cafe which is let's say across the East River from the South Street Seaport just a little south from the Brooklyn Bridge----- It's a great restaurant but I wasn't thinking about you eating there necessarily, the terrace in front of it or area adjacent to it is fantastic for sunset shots of the skyline. I was there one night, no camera of course, and these huge tugboats and tankers were coming out of the fog and then you couldn't see the skyline, and then sudddenly you saw this apparition. Quite amazing!

Brooklyn itself has a endless list of possibilities; Botanical garden, Flatbush area, Park Slope, Coney Island. Every place has its "cachet", special flair. Too much and you need a lot of time
Well, if you need anything else, let me know. Too much to do and you will not regret one moment. If you need some nice restaurants or bakeries let me know. I like to cook so I'm picky where I go for food.
Ciao[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up