Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC or Eizo monitor??  (Read 2366 times)

J Voorhies

NEC or Eizo monitor??
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:19:06 am »

Good Morning All---I'm in the process of upgrading my monitor and am considering either the NEC PA271W bk sv or an Eizo CG 243W/CG245W. I've been following the forum here for a bit and it seems (not sure if its correct) as if many more folks use NEC than Eizo------and given the cost difference I can possibly see why. Is the additional cost for Eizo proportional to a solid increase in performance------particularly with re the CG 245W (I understand this has the internal calibrator). Currently using an iMac 27" and also was concerned about going back to a 24"----any thoughts/experiences on that would be appreciated. I've also been told by a very good retailer that works primarily with MF photographers that they find it difficult to recommend NEC any more due to uniformity issues  across the NEC screen---they recommend the Eizo------have any of you experienced a uniformity problem with NEC.

As for my usage: currently using Nikon equipment (D300 and multiple DX and FX lenses---will be moving to FX on Nikon's next iteration), Canon ipf5100 printer, and 2011 MacBookPro 15".

Thank you all in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

Peter McLennan

Re: NEC or Eizo monitor??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:11 pm »

After more than a decade editing images with variable quality CRTs and business-grade LCDs, I finally broke down and bought an NEC PA271W. 
Why it took me this long, I'll probably never know, but I can say that I can see much better now.  Colours and particularly differences in colours are far more apparent.  Changes are easier to make, the results much easier to evaluate. 

I see no problems with linearity or unevenness.  It's a superb display.

I did have some issues with my graphics card and the Display Port connection.  I reverted to DVI and all is well.  Having seen the difference, I don't need 10 bit imaging.

I've never used an Eizo, so I can't comment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up