Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fashion Photography Fallacies  (Read 18322 times)

Rob C

Re: Fashion Photography Fallacies
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »

Frankly, apart from the OP, I have to wonder what's with most of you guys; I've been in the fashion business - spent most of my pre-calendar career doing just that - and the hell it's easy or depends on the air kiss. It's mainly bloody hard work, determination not to allow idiot clients from effing your reputation (the hardest thing is fighting your corner) and getting enough money out of it to keep on truckin', which was why I eventually gave up and turned to calendar design, photography and production. I can't close without quoting an example of idiot client mindset: that's not a good fashion pic, Rob, she's not making eye contact. I kid you not. No, I didn't even smile; the company's art guy just looked pleadingly at me to shut the hell up and not contradict his director.

Getting into the business wasn't the hardest part - in the mid-sixties - but I can't speak for today; the hard bit was staying in it - if you really wanted to after the initial ego-trip bumped back down to Earth.

Rob C

amsp

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 09:29:43 pm »

Frankly, apart from the OP, I have to wonder what's with most of you guys; I've been in the fashion business - spent most of my pre-calendar career doing just that - and the hell it's easy or depends on the air kiss. It's mainly bloody hard work, determination not to allow idiot clients from effing your reputation (the hardest thing is fighting your corner) and getting enough money out of it to keep on truckin', which was why I eventually gave up and turned to calendar design, photography and production. I can't close without quoting an example of idiot client mindset: that's not a good fashion pic, Rob, she's not making eye contact. I kid you not. No, I didn't even smile; the company's art guy just looked pleadingly at me to shut the hell up and not contradict his director.

Getting into the business wasn't the hardest part - in the mid-sixties - but I can't speak for today; the hard bit was staying in it - if you really wanted to after the initial ego-trip bumped back down to Earth.

Rob C

+1

In fact, I would say it's probably even harder today with increased competition and clients being on an even tighter budget. Anyone who thinks this business is about anything else than ridiculously hard work (knowing the right people helps too) has obviously never shot a fashion picture in their life.

nightfire

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 02:58:37 pm »

Judging by yet another advertisement email I got today, part of the future of fashion photography seems to lie in the production of "how-to" e-books and workshops for the masses...

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »

Judging by yet another advertisement email I got today, part of the future of fashion photography seems to lie in the production of "how-to" e-books and workshops for the masses...

If so, then it'll be playing the same game as almost every other branch of the business: when there's no work, try to teach!

Rob C

Noah Chen

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:15 pm »

Totally agree! I am in fashion business more than 10yrs. Nowaday, if you only have photography technic, you are out the market. If you want reach the top, you really need talent+hard work+determination+luck. "Connection" only work in the very beginning, but if you fxck up for few time, your reputation ruin forever. I always ask my apprentice "why do you want to be a fashion photographer? if you just think it is cool, and you think you could get rich and famous. You better give up! " Be a great fashion photographer, you have to have great passion on fashion, you willing sacrifice everything into it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up