Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ Pro IID with Mamiya plate and ZD back locks up after back rotation  (Read 1591 times)

itsskin

So, here is the problem. When I rotate ZD back on RZ ProIID it usually locks up, forcing me to take out the battery to restore the operation. Very-very annoying :( The back is ok, because it works on my AFD III like a charm and NEVER locks up.
Any ideas, why it is happening and how to avoid it?
Thanks!

billthecat

I have the same setup and I don't get lockups from rotation, but I often get lockups. Usually I can just hit the display button and then take a photo instead of battery removal.

I have cleaned all my contacts on both RZ and AFD2 and it didn't help lockups.

Bill

itsskin

Yes, cleaning does not help. And when my back locks-up it doesn't react to buttons. :(

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

I would check to make sure you're using the latest ZD firmware.

However I'd caution in advance that the ZD still has many quirks, oddities, lockups, and other issues with the latest firmware. At least compared to other more matured DB platforms.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

itsskin

I tried many times to figure out how to check (at least) FW version but failed. The only way is through mamiya desktop app, which I do not have. Moreover, it doesn't seem user upgradable. Considering I am in Beijing makes upgrade quite a problem - closes mamiya dealer is in HongKong.
Any tips?
Thx!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

I hesitate to comment on anything I am not an expert on, and I am not on this topic. However since no one else has stepped in to provide guidance:

http://www.mamiya.co.jp/support/dl_01_eng.html
That is the downloadable desktop app (beta that never left beta as I recall). I don't believe it has a firmware update function.

As far as I know the ZDs in the US were never provided a firmware update. However, the ZD was distributed in the US only after a few years of the MAC Group (the US distributor) refusing to distribute them due to quality/reliability issues, therefore, it may have been the case that elsewhere in the world earlier firmware than was used on the ones distributed in the US (by MAC Group US) and therefore would be firmware updateable. It's something you'd have to speak to someone at your local distributor about.

Again, I am speculating, not an expert on this product, and only trying to help. It's truly a very poorly supported product at least in our geography (both to the end user and to dealers trying to provide assistance on it) and if you ever have the chance to upgrade into another back (whether one we, Capture Integration, advocate/sell or a competitor's back like a Hassy) I think you'll find the overall experience much nicer. I can't speak for Hassy dealers but we still have the ability to offer a better-than-market-value for the ZD on trade-ins to modern backs. The ZD definitely commands the lowest market price, but older (but still very excellent quality and very reliable) Leaf and Phase backs are coming down in price now that an entire new gen (IQ) is out and causing a lot of trade-ups with the related trade-ins.

Open plea to anyone who knows more to help this nice man. Having your back lock up every time you rotate it to vertical would be a major usability annoyance.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:07:45 pm by dougpetersonci »

itsskin

Thank you for help!
Link is broken, after you input all data :)
Anyway, changing the back is really good idea - missing to much shots with current ZD. Sent you an email on this matter!
Still, while I stick with it, would be nice, if someone else can help.

Update - got the remote capture from Japanese website :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:19:06 pm by itsskin »

itsskin

After trying to get help from Phase One I got this answer:

Hi

We unfortunatly only support Mamiya M and DM range cameras.
For support on a ZD product, please contact your original place of purchase.

Kind Regards
Mamiya / Phase One Support

No links to my local dealers, no advice. Nothing. So, that's what support in MF world is :)
ZD was bought used, so I am kind of trapped in this situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up