Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 AFD Electronic Shutter Release In-line Connector  (Read 5121 times)

Jack Varney

• http://

I have been experimenting with radio remote shutter releases for the Mamiya 645 AFDs (I,II,III, etc.). To continue I need to find out the receptacle type used (i.e. the receptacle connector used on the end of the Mamiya remote shutter release cables). Can anyone provide the source or the manufacturer and model number for these connectors?

These are the connectors that plug into the Mamiya AFD bodies. They are 1/4 inch diameter eight pin female connectors. Your help will bde appreciated.
Jack Varney

ondebanks

Re: Mamiya 645 AFD Electronic Shutter Release In-line Connector
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:11 am »

Hi Jack,

I adapted a Canon-clone timer/intervalometer/remote release to work on my Mamiya 645AFD, and posted a description of this here a few months ago.

I don't think you'll find the connector as a part on its own anywhere. Your best bet is probably to find a cable which already has one of these connectors; perhaps used or new-old-stock. Mamiya made 2 types of manual switch cables (long and straight; short and spiral). My source was a Quantum Radio Motor Drive Cord #467, like this one.

It had the advantage of already having a 2.5mm jack at the other end of its spiral cable. The fact that the jack was 2-pole (mono, if it were audio) told me all I needed to know: the Mamiya bodies are triggered simply by closing a switch, completing a circuit between the 2 poles of the jack. This implied that only 2 of the 8 pins on the body/connector mattered as well. By a little trial and error, I found that these are the 2 pins at 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the body socket - the ones drawn with a * below:

0  0
   0  0

If you just have a Mamiya body, get a piece of wire and hold it to these 2 pins; this closes the circuit I mentioned, just as pressing the normal shutter release does. That little piece of wire will trip the shutter at whatever speed the body has been set to, including the Av/Tv/P modes.

Good luck with your project! Keep us posted as to progress.

Ray

Jack Varney

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:38 pm »

Thank you for your reply, Ray. I had already converted an inexpensive Chinese radio remote unit using the Mamiya end of an electronic cable release (cut off the button end leaving the connector end). The unit was intended for a Canon so it was necessary to open the unit, desolder the Canon connector from the circuit board and replace it with the Mamiya cable. Not as difficult as it may sound once you have decoded the connections for focus (half press) and shutter release.

The cable cost over three times more than the radio remote! Since it may be necessary to do this again it seems logical to find the plug, which can't cost more than a few dollars, unless it is a special part engineered especially for Mamiya.
Jack Varney

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:04:13 am »

The cable cost over three times more than the radio remote! Since it may be necessary to do this again it seems logical to find the plug, which can't cost more than a few dollars, unless it is a special part engineered especially for Mamiya.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am facing a similar problem now and trying to source the connector/plug. Have you succeeded at locating the part? Or is it in the end manufactured for Mamiya/P1 only?

Jack Varney

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:09:32 pm »

I have not found a source for the plug. It began to be like finding a needle in a hay stack.
Jack Varney

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:37:40 am »

Thanks Jack

In the end I found cheap Mamiya 645 IR remote and used cable from there. I wired it to 2.5mm stereo plug (pinout below) and use with universal Vidpro or Vivitar remotes like this.

Slight modifications on pinouts published above. These are pins layout (_ shows the indent in the plug) when looking at the camera socket (mirror them for the connector):

0  0
G        0
S        0
   F_0

G - ground
S - shutter triggers when connected to G
F - auto focus initiated when connected to G

These connects as follows to 2.5mm stereo plug for above remotes:
S - tip of the plug
F - middle section
G - base/ground

I have not found a source for the plug. It began to be like finding a needle in a hay stack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up