Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Management of Secondary Displays with Vista  (Read 1723 times)

dmerger

Color Management of Secondary Displays with Vista
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »

With two displays, is it possible to have the secondary display color managed?  I don’t care if the primary display is color managed, just the secondary display.

I’m using Vista 64 bit, an NVIDIA graphics card, PS CS4 64 bit, an Acer display and an NEC PA271w with SpectraView. 

I had my Acer connected to the primary DVI connection on my NVIDIA card and my NEC connected to the secondary DVI connection. My Acer was also designated as my primary display in the NVIDIA Control Panel.   With that arrangement, however, my NEC was not displaying colors accurately. 

When I switched the DVI connections and designated my NEC as my primary display, my NEC worked fine.  Then, when I designated my Acer as my primary display in the NVIDIA Control Panel, my NEC no longer displayed colors accurately. 

I believe I also tried, unsuccessfully, having my Acer connected to the primary DVI connection, but in the NVIDIA Control Panel designating my NEC as the primary display.  So, to work properly, it appears that my NEC must be physically connected to the primary DVI connection and be designated as the primary display in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Based on that experience, I suspect that Vista doesn’t permit color management for secondary displays.  Or, is there some way to color manage secondary displays with Vista?

FYI, I have the most recent version of SpectraView, have recently profiled my NEC, and have the most recent NVIDIA driver installed. Since everything works properly with my NEC set as my primary monitor, it doesn’t appear that I have a hardware problem. 

I’d like to have my Acer connected to my primary DVI connection, and have it set as my primary display, and use it for everything other than photos.  Most days I wouldn’t even turn on my NEC.  When working on photos, I’d like to have PS and the PS tools on my Acer and just drag my photos to my NEC.  Hence, I wouldn’t need my Acer to be color managed, only my NEC.  Can I do so with Vista?
Dean Erger

dmerger

Re: Color Management of Secondary Displays with Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »

I found a very easy way to do what I want.  In Vista Color Management, set my NEC profile as the default profile for both my displays. Surprisingly, using the NEC profile for my Acer doesn't have much effect on it.  It still looks fine.
Dean Erger
Pages: [1]   Go Up