Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Speeds with Pocket Wizard Flex tt5 on Contax  (Read 8934 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Sync Speeds with Pocket Wizard Flex tt5 on Contax
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »

Yair,

Then why a need for a leaf shutter at all?  If you can gain up 1/800th of a second off the ccd, why not just let the sensor to the talking?

Wouldn't this give the ccd world some extra bragging rights, cause they seem to fall behind on live view and high iso, I would think having a virutally shutterless camera would be something to market.

IMO

BC

Wish it was that easy...that's why I said more or less:-)

Full frame CCDs need an external shutter to be exposed properly and to reduce dark current

However on the Dalsa sensors we are able to cut the exposure time in half through a clever communication chip that works with the DF body and LS lenses and that is shared by Phase One and Leaf backs

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Cineski

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 09:39:55 pm »

Welcome to that wonderful issue with Contax.  I've been shooting Contax 645 for a few months now but I do film with it and it does that better than any camera I've ever photographed with.  The 80 f/2 is by itself a reason to keep this system.  I'd really like to get into digital medium format but to be honest I'll probably drop my cash on a Phase One system rather than buying into a digital back for my Contax just because the Phase One is better suite to shooting digital with flash.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 06:11:05 am »

Welcome to that wonderful issue with Contax.  I've been shooting Contax 645 for a few months now but I do film with it and it does that better than any camera I've ever photographed with.  The 80 f/2 is by itself a reason to keep this system.  I'd really like to get into digital medium format but to be honest I'll probably drop my cash on a Phase One system rather than buying into a digital back for my Contax just because the Phase One is better suite to shooting digital with flash.

This will all depend on your shooting style. Each system has its specific strength, limitations and workarounds. Now with the extremly fast shutter speeds and flash synchronisation you´ll open up a different can of worms.

Cheers, Ulf

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »

heres the reply i got from pocket wizard about the contax with hypersync-

HyperSync operates by taking advantage of longer flash duration pulses, combined with information provided by Nikon and Canon TTL systems which allow us to fire the flashes before the shutter has actually fully opened.

Unfortunately, this is heavily dependent on communications with the camera's metering systems through the hotshoes, and as such won't work with a Contax camera. With this camera, you'll be limited to the camera's native x-sync speed, when using a Plus II or MultiMAX radio. The MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 would have to be used in Basic Trigger Mode with this camera, and wouldn't offer any benefit over a Plus II. (Except for more channels).

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

blainesiesser

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »

It seems like pocket wizard could create a firmware to do this. Doubt they ever will though.

Dragomir: I think you should totally buy the repair manual and see if you can light a spark under PW to make it happen.

Thanks for all the research and incite guys.

FWIW after thinking about this more there is a really feasible workaround to contax 645's slow sync speed.

Nuetral Density filters. If you throw on a 4 stop ND filter or a 2ND+3ND stacked this will bring the sun under control and let you use fast apertures. While not action freezing this is a descent solution for shooting people outside.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up