Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 beta  (Read 29298 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lightroom 4 beta
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:21 am »

HI,

does anyone have an idea if we will see a beta for Lightroom 4 this summer / fall ?

If Adobe keeps the rhythm, it should come, as far as I know.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Lightroom 4 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:05:11 pm »

does anyone have an idea if we will see a beta for Lightroom 4 this summer / fall ?

Anybody who knows can't say...anybody who says, can't know (or is breaking an NDA).

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:00 pm »

Ok, I withdraw the question  ;) !

Thanks for the fast answer !

Robby
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:27:22 am »

I am expecting a new beta in the fall.   I drive past the new Adobe building on Rt 128 in Waltham MA every day.  That's as close as I'm able to get to being an insider.

I am expecting the beta to include:
Soft Proofing
HDR processing
Panorama Stitching
More refinement to the editing tools
Frames - similar to OnOne's product but contained in LR
Some movement and tools towards Cloud Compute - slideshow in the cloud and publish services linked to Web module.
Teathering should also move to the cloud but this may be a stretch given current technologies.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

stamper

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:13 am »

Is it possible to HDR two RAW images? No point in in rendering two RAW files to Tiff and re importing them? :-\ It looks as if you want Photoshop fully integrated into Lightroom?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:18:45 am by stamper »

dreed

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:55:13 am »

If this is "what would people like in LR4", I'll add..
- better import from existing catalogues and/or XMP files (see other threads!)
- (A) finer resolution in selecting which attributes are cut-n-pasted from developer settings (to make updating older photographs with unset camera/lens combinations easier), or
- (B) the ability to perform more develop changes (such as enabling camera/lens profile) when right-clicking from library grid
- focus mask highlighting (C1 has this and helps a lot in the triage process)
- HDR processing that works

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

I don't want more developing features in Lightroom if that is just going to require the latest and greatest processor to make it work. Would rather things like HDR and layering be left to Photoshop. As it is, the distortion correction features in Lightroom cause intolerable unresponsiveness with my 2 year old iMac. As far as development module features, I just want them to make them work better and more efficiently.

One thing that would be nice: being able to batch export at a variety of different sizes.

Bas Stekelenburg

• http://
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »

I never understood why basic Operating System capabilities like in the Import Module Selecting SOME of the imported pictures from card or drive, other then selecting them one by one, or “Only New Pictures”, is not possible up to release 3.x.
I might do three different jobs on a 16 GB card, but importing is a hassle then, selecting three sets for the different keywords per set. No selection like (keyboard SHIFT) #1 to (keyboard SHIFT) #400 to select the first 400 is possible, out of 1200 pictures. One, by one, by one, by one, by …..
Pourquoi?
Suggestion for 4.0?!

Bas

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »

Because Library is meant for more detailed keywording. There's no point replicating its features in an Improt dialog box.

Bas Stekelenburg

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »

Because Library is meant for more detailed keywording. There's no point replicating its features in an Improt dialog box.
Thank you John, but there are more reasons to be able to import only a selection of the available pictures. Why can I not shift-click on a number of pictures, out of a many, to prevent them from importing?

Bas

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »

Why can I not shift-click on a number of pictures, out of a many, to prevent them from importing?

RTFM...

Deselect all, select the first image you want and either shift select or command select none consecutive image the once selected click on the check mark on the upper left.

Really pretty simple if you have half a clue...

dreed

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 06:05:23 am »

I don't want more developing features in Lightroom if that is just going to require the latest and greatest processor to make it work. Would rather things like HDR and layering be left to Photoshop. As it is, the distortion correction features in Lightroom cause intolerable unresponsiveness with my 2 year old iMac. As far as development module features, I just want them to make them work better and more efficiently.

... don't use features if they cause you problems!

But more seriously, I think you've got the wrong expectations for the digital camera industry if you believe that older computers will be able to deal with new(er) software and cameras. Imagine in 2 years time that you're trying to work with 40MP pictures on a 4 year old computer. Do you think that's going to be pleasant?

It's a spiral staircase that leads onwards and upwards: faster processors and more RAM enable software to do more and people buy newer hardware to run the existing software as fast as they can afford, until newer software slows things down...

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:11 am »

RTFM...

Deselect all, select the first image you want and either shift select or command select none consecutive image the once selected click on the check mark on the upper left.

You're obnoxious. Guy asks a simple question and you have to abuse him.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:16:33 am »

Terse and curt. But shewely not obnoxious.
Occassionally he is not up to decorum but let's face it. He selflessly takes a lot of time out of his day to help thousands of people use the software correctly. Perhaps we can forgive him if the occassional easily-answered-by-reading-the-manual question fails to bring out the best in him.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

You can in fact do that, although the implementation is dopey. Uncheck all. Select (not check) the first photo, shift+select the last photo, then check one of them. They'll all become checked.

Schewe

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 01:06:13 pm »

You're obnoxious.

Why yes, I am...and exactly what did you want to contribute to the dialog?

Richowens

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 02:12:39 pm »

Bas,

Perhaps the best solution for you is to use a fresh card for each job of a smaller variety, say 8 gig instead of 16. Certainly works great for me.

Rich

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »

I'd say don't mess around in the Import dialog any more than is strictly necessary. Sure, apply a few keywords that fit everything, but it's more important to get all the pictures under control in Lightroom's Library, with second backups, and to be completely confident that all files are safely copied to your computer. Then use Library's much more detailed keywording and other metadata features to start tagging the different groups of images.

Bas Stekelenburg

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 07:01:22 am »

RTFM...

Schewe, thanks for the help.
I fought myself through your English, but I succeeded and your solution works fine!

B.T.W., I ordered all my Lightroom versions via download. There  are no F Manuals included.
No problemo, when it came out, I ordered the Entertaining and Instructive and Helpful LL LR3 Video.
Today I checked again this colorful video, it is episode 8 out of 53, to be precise.
Alas, nothing about my sub-selection question, and how to solve it, as you now did in a few words.

Again thank you, I hope other people who put this same question on the Adobe site (I read two similar questions in the past months) read it also.
Of course I can not compete with your knowledge, something I admire.
But I have a better figure.

Cheers,
Bas.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 07:46:03 am »

Of course I can not compete with your knowledge, something I admire.
But I have a better figure.
Cheers,
Bas.

As charming put-downs go, that scores a 10  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up