Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OSX Lion  (Read 2390 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
OSX Lion
« on: June 09, 2011, 03:07:47 am »

Having timed my entry into Colour Management with the introduction of Snow Leopard a year or two ago (!!!), I was wondering whether we can expect similar problems with Lion?

Has anyone heard anything?

(I went back a few pages to see if this had been discussed, so, if I missed it, please point me in the right direction.)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

shewhorn

• http://
Re: OSX Lion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:17:39 am »

Those who know can't say at this point due to an NDA. We'll find out soon enough though as the official release is something like a month away. There are almost always compatibility issues and bugs when a new OS version is released. Whether or not there will be bugs in color management remains to be seen. One would hope that a more mature product would hopefully make things better and not worse. Sometimes that happens and sometimes complex issues on multiple fields conspire to make things worse.

Time will tell. I'll be happy to let others take the plunge first (I didn't see any really compelling features in Lion that make me personally want to upgrade so I'm happy to wait until upgrading becomes a requirement... of course I reserve the right to change my mind :) ).

Cheers, Joe

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:34:15 am »

Time will tell. I'll be happy to let others take the plunge first (I didn't see any really compelling features in Lion that make me personally want to upgrade so I'm happy to wait until upgrading becomes a requirement... of course I reserve the right to change my mind :) ).

Cheers, Joe

I'm with you on that one!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »

Here's a tidbit from Chromix:

CHROMiX News
What the heck have we been up to?

Mac OS X Lion Color Management Migration Tool

Apple announced this week that OS X Lion will ship in July. Mac OS X Lion does not include the "Rosetta" technology that emulates the PowerPC (PPC) processor. Without Rosetta, any Mac OS X applications which only have PPC code will not run! If you are unsure which applications are PPC only, either find the application on your hard disk and "Get Info" (command-I) or run the application and then open the Activity Monitor to see the application type.

Many common Color Management tools and utilities are PPC only and will not be available to users running OS X Lion. This includes: ProfileMaker (including ColorPicker, Editor, MeasureTool), Monaco Profiler (including GamutWorks), MonacoQCcolor, Eye-One Share, Eye-One Match, ColorShop, ColorLab, Pulse ColorElite, MonacoOptix and numerous others. X-Rite, CHROMiX and other companies offer tools that have been updated to run on Lion and will perform many similar tasks as the older PPC software you may be accustomed to using.

CHROMiX is creating the Mac OS X Lion Color Management Migration Tool which is a reference table to help determine if there are alternatives for your tools and needs. It will be available this week and we'll update it regularly as needed.

Kirk

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:47:03 pm »

Some good info Kirk.

As far as the actual printing pipeline (which caused so much grief when trying to print for many), I believe Snow Leopard was a fundamental "under the hood" OS change to many elements, one of which was significant changes to how the OS interacted with ColorSync.

I haven't seen any talk of this kind of thing in all the Lion beta tips coming out, so fingers crossed they left most of this alone (or if they did change it, worked with developers to make helpful changes) and printing will by unaffected.

I always upgrade one machine on day one, but do so by cloning the startup drive to a different partition on the raid so I can reboot right back to where I was.  There are several features of Lion that intrigue me including full iCloud support so I'm excited to give it a shot.  But I'll boot from the SL partition when actually working until I'm confident of the new OS.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:13:31 pm by Wayne Fox »

gromit

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:53:33 pm »

I don't see myself moving from Leopard (10.5) for my Photoshop and colour management work for some time, though will probably move to Lion (10.7) on my notebook for general purpose computing. Both 10.6 and Photoshop CS5 broke Epson's ABW mode which necessitates me having to run CS3 and CS5 concurrently. Since there's little real world advantage in 10.6 I just stick with 10.5 rather than rebooting when I need to print B&W. As noted elsewhere, 10.7 won't run a lot of the colour management tools I currently use. To be honest, if you're spending most of the time in Photoshop it doesn't matter what OS you run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up