Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stiff paper/narrow core potential trouble with roll paper?  (Read 888 times)

carlweese

stiff paper/narrow core potential trouble with roll paper?
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »

I just ran into a problem printing with my HP Z3200 near the end of a roll of HP Premium Instant Dry Satin. I'd just changed a print head, and after some printing on another paper, wanted to use the end of a roll of this paper to replace damaged prints in a set printed on it.

Calibration and profiling went fine, as did the first print (an 8x24" overall gang print of four small pictures). I needed to print three of these, and the third had ink smears and "skipped lines" at the far right of the sheet. I checked, and the second had a lesser version of same. I tried another, which was worse. But I noticed that there was a clear mechanical "strike" of the paper edge, exactly even with the narrow area of random ink and skipped lines (this is subtle, you have to *inspect*--not glance at--the output to notice). Clearly there had been contact, for whatever reason, and I ejected the roll, crossing my fingers the print heads hadn't been damaged.

I remembered that I'd had a very similar thing happen years ago with my Epson 4800 when I was nearing the end of a roll of heavy Moab cotton paper that was supplied on a skinny 2" core. Premium "instant dry" isn't all that thick, but as a full RC paper it's quite stiff, and unlike HP Professional Satin, it's on a skinny 2" core. I've run out several rolls of Pro Satin, and of heavy Condor cotton paper, both supplied on fatter 3" cores, with no sign of trouble. I'm thinking there is just too much of a set curl from the tight wind at the end of the roll with stiff/thick papers supplied on a skinny core.

Anyone else encountered this problem? Other explanations for it?---Carl

davidh202

Re: stiff paper/narrow core potential trouble with roll paper?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:38 pm »

FWIW...
 I have been getting head strikes on my Epson 7900 using Ex Fiber (very stiff curl), off a new 3" diameter roll.
I had the open the Platten gap to wide and then wider to get past this problem.
Some one had suggested not using the auto cut between sets and giving some additional lead paper to get past the initial curl ,but that kind of defeats some of the features of using the rolls. I might expect it toward the end of the roll but not at the beginning...hmm
I am beginning to think that some of the heavier papers should only be available in sheets.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:16:25 am »

Used to have a lot of problems like that with ~300gm rolls my 9880, not just at the end of rolls but all through.  As mentioned my best solution was to simply not cut the prints until later on the table.  But it was a nuisance that I never quite 100% resolved.  The widest availabe platen gap, excessively large media thickness, and maxed out vacuum could almost completely eliminate edge swipes, but sharpness definitely suffered with those settings.

Although I mostly use canvas, I got a big print order from a framer/gallery, so this afternoon I bought a couple rolls of Canson Photographique 210 gsm for use in the 8300.  I sure hope that stuff is nice & flacid!  The framer mounts everything right away so "hand feel" is a non-issue.  But otherwise, I just don't want to deal with heavy roll paper any more.  It's one of those things where you have to wonder if the manufacturer really understands what it's like to use the product in the field.

Clearair

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:49:48 am »

It's got a bit of strong curl towards the end of the roll where I had no head strike but the auto cut was not straight due to end curl.
I thought it was a bit stiff.

I use an iPF6100.

Regards

Clearair

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:52:53 am »

Bill
I meant to say on the Photographique. Not as pliable as say Hahnemuhle Baryta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up