Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer suggestion to learn the craft?  (Read 5309 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printer suggestion to learn the craft?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:40 am »

Yes, but the 3880 does have a proper maintenance tank, so not an issue in terms of the printer's life-time for that model. The only issue is the price they charge for essentially a plastic box with some absorptive pads in it. Ya OK, they need to be packaged, stored, shipped, distributed and yada, yada. I don't believe Epson, or for that matter any manufacturer, has ever shared any information about the square footage they expect out of one print head in any of their printers, and of course the print-head is the printer - or cost-wise a huge chunk of it. But in any case, technical obsolescence is the determining factor of most of our present day cameras and printers. On the printer side, as they progress from one model to the next, the rate of image quality improvement has really become marginal, because the technology has matured very quickly - when you consider that it was almost exactly 11 years ago http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/2000p.shtmlthat Epson produced the first consumer-grade desktop archival inkjet printer - the 2000P. So, we may now find people hanging on to their printers for a longer time than they would have over the maturation period, unless there is some spectacular breakthrough on gamut or functionality one of these companies is preparing to unleash one of these days.

Of course I still have the prints I made with my 2000P when I bought it back then, images from film scans, and when I compare the print quality from what I did then with what I'm getting now (both digital and film), it's night and day. But it wasn't night and day migrating from a 3800 to a 4900. So I think someone looking to break into professional printing equipment on a tight budget can do very well with a carefully selected current model, new or used, in the 3800/3880 range. These models tend to be the most quiet, clog-free pigment-ink printers that Epson has ever produced. I can't speak for the current crop of Canons or HPs because I have no experience using them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

AFairley

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:31 pm »

I didn't mean to upset anyone with my remarks on build quality, I know the 3800 is a firm favourite around here, but to suggest it should last a hobbyist a lifetime is just ludicrous.

John, just to clarify, I did not mean that a hobbyist would be happy using the 3800 for a lifetime -- for sure the technology will be improved, and anyway, at some point the ink technology will become obsolete or at least unsupported.  However, given that being a hobbyist I print the equivalent of around 4 17x22s per month all in, if I use my 3800 for the next 40 years (should I be lucky to live and be functioning for so long -- which unfortunately unlikely given my age), I will have printed just under 2,000 of them, and that surely is within the design life of the 3800.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:18:43 pm by AFairley »

peerke

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 03:13:55 pm »

For those who have been contributing to this thread: I have just got myself a 3800 ! Let's see if it lasts a lifetime (I'm 48)  ;D

Thanks all!

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »

For those who have been contributing to this thread: I have just got myself a 3800 ! Let's see if it lasts a lifetime (I'm 48)  ;D

Thanks all!

Tom

Congratulations and use it well. If you're like many of the rest of us, you'll keep it till you're ready for your next model up.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 11:47:58 am »

Buy a couple of boxes of paper and print up a storm to get the hands-on experience to really get on your way to learning the craft of printing. The more you print and practice (at least 1-2 times a week, if not more!), the better you'll be able to master this.

It usually takes at least 1000-2000 hours hands-on to get well versed and at least 8000 hours to master nearly anything according to conventional wisdom. Once there, you'll loose the skills if you don't keep at it!

Patience and repetition are the key here along with pushing your self to always improve.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

peerke

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:02 pm »

Buy a couple of boxes of paper and print up a storm to get the hands-on experience to really get on your way to learning the craft of printing. The more you print and practice (at least 1-2 times a week, if not more!), the better you'll be able to master this.

It usually takes at least 1000-2000 hours hands-on to get well versed and at least 8000 hours to master nearly anything according to conventional wisdom. Once there, you'll loose the skills if you don't keep at it!

Patience and repetition are the key here along with pushing your self to always improve.

There goes the vacation then ;-)

And a 'couple of boxes of paper' ? It is amazing how much choice there is for this kind of printer. Now I know where the 1000-2000 hours go... I guess I should not spend a lot of time on finding the 'best' paper but just stick to a limited set and work from there.

Thanks for the advice, it is sure something to keep in mind!

Rgds,
Tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up