Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Levels  (Read 5318 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Levels
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

Hi,

Is there something equivalent to levels in LR?

One of the simple things I do not seem to be able to find in LR (and Camera Raw in general) is something equivalent to Levels that is available in most tools. I like having the ability to quickly modify the spread of the histogram by moving the output sliders to the histogram boundaries.  I find that this can fix many images quickly.  I find the controls on the histogram itself not as intuitive or easy to use as most levels functions.

Thanks

R

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:28:15 pm »

Is there something equivalent to levels in LR?

No...the tool set in LR is considerably more extensive although you can adjust an image right in the Histogram. Exposure is the white point clip, Blacks is the black point clip and Brightness is the midpoint after the white and black points are set. You really need to adjust your thinking to the Lightroom way...the upside is once you do you will be able to work very quickly and efficiently. It's a really good idea not to try to bring Photoshop habits into Lightroom.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:35:12 am »

I like having the ability to quickly modify the spread of the histogram by moving the output sliders to the histogram boundaries.  I find that this can fix many images quickly.

What Schewe said but keep in mind, you can actually pull on the various tonal areas within the Histogram and move them. In Develop, hover over the Histogram, you’ll see which area is affected in a “zone” which you can click and drag. Its far more clever and useful than what the Levels in Photoshop provides IMHO.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »

Well I tried that (in case anybody accuses me of not reading the user manual) and IMHO its not as easy to use at the sliders on levels. Guess I will just have to get used to it.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:57:28 pm »

Well I tried that (in case anybody accuses me of not reading the user manual) and IMHO its not as easy to use at the sliders on levels. Guess I will just have to get used to it.

In LR, Robert, you can do almost exactly the same thing as with levels. You use the EV slider to max the highlight end, and the Blacks slider for the shadow end. If you put the clipping indicators on, you can stop at the point of clipping, if you wish. For greater refinement, hold down the Alt key (on PC) as you do this, and you will see the exact clipping areas in monochrome.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:26:31 pm »

Ah, yes I see. Thanks

stamper

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:43:44 am »

Getting used to it would be progress and that is what you should be aiming for? :)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:29:57 am »

Getting used to it would be progress and that is what you should be aiming for? :)

Well, it's not necessarily progress, just difference. Personally, I am not too keen on the levels tool in PS, but for many years I used the levels in Corel PP9. This was truly excellent, with a large real-time updating histogram, and if you wanted it one-click normalisation with the facility to pre-set user specified clipping limits. Obviously there was also a mid-tone gamma adjustment as well. Now I have learned to use the tools in LR, I am very comfortable with them, but it took a while to re-adjust. Even so, why does the histogram in LR and PS have to be so bloody small?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

DeanSonneborn

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:22:54 am »

Here's another method you can try. Go to the tone curve histogram and move the upper right end point to the left and the lower left end point to the right. You  have to first set it to the custom curve setting.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Even though LR provides more extensive features etc etc, sometimes its useful (dare I say fun) to do something quick and dirty.

nightfire

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:20:07 am »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

+1

I wasn't aware of the manual curves option. Sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered, especially for some shots where exposure/blacks alone can't spread the histogram enough.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 11:08:48 am »

Here's another method you can try. Go to the tone curve histogram and move the upper right end point to the left and the lower left end point to the right. You  have to first set it to the custom curve setting.

How do you set it to a "custom curve setting"? When I try to move the upper right or lower left point it's no different than moving the highlight or shadow sliders. What step am I missing here?

eliedinur

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:57:44 pm »

You are not on the Point Curve, you are on the Parametric Curve. Click on the curve icon in the lower right corner of the panel.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »

Ah! I've learned something today.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up